Motorola U9

Review of "Motorola U9"

published 21/03/2011 | Absinthe_Fairy
Member since : 03/01/2011
Happy 2016!
Good
Pro Appearance
Cons Slow, occasional freezing
Look & Feel
Durability & Robustness
Battery standby time
Battery talktime

"Beautiful phone, but it's a little 'style over substance'"

This review is by way of being a retrospective review on my old phone, as I've recently invested in a smartphone!

I have to admit it - I always choose my mobile phone purely on looks. I waited three years to upgrade my previous phone, simply because I thought all the ones on the market were bulky, ugly and too 'masculine'. When I saw this phone advertised I felt it was the perfect antidote (the purple version of course, though the pink was pretty too). I wasn't disappointed. This phone is shiny, smooth and slim, and provided you keep it in a phone pouch or purse it doesn't scratch easily. You can read text messages on the front of the phone, which is a nice touch, and when you play music the song title and artist 'float' across the front of the phone, and you can stop, play or skip songs this way too.

In the past, all I ever used a phone for was calls and texts - anything else is a bonus. This phone manages those functions as well as any other, and I find the menu intuitive and the contact list easy to use. The camera isn't as good as other cameras I've seen on mobile phones, but it was perfectly adequate for my needs. Ditto the mp3 player - I'd only ever really use it in an emergency if my 'proper' mp3 player was lost or ran out of battery. If you want an all-singing, all-dancing phone to replace your normal camera or mp3 player, this isn't the phone for you.

One word on the mp3 player - the headphone jack is a micro USB cable socket, only compatible with the supplied headphones (as far as I know) - you can't use your normal headphones. There is no USB cable included in the pack either, but I was able to obtain one from eBay for a few pounds, and seeing as I only paid £34 for the phone I can't really complain.

Occasionally the phone is a little slow, and rarely the screen freezes - although this has only happened a handful of times. After upgrading to a smartphone, I've realised just how bad the internet was on this phone - it was so slow, and several sites just didn't load at all. All in all, I feel this phone was ideal for someone who wanted something with basic functionality and pretty appearance. However I must say I'm glad to have got a smartphone finally!

• Alyson29 published 21/03/2011
    I could do with upgrading x
  • catsholiday published 21/03/2011
    Things move on so fast these days that a phone is almost out of date as it hits the shelves.
  • MrBrightside1987 published 21/03/2011
    Phones that freeze are so annoying mine is doing it now. x