Motorpoint

Motorpoint

Review of "Motorpoint"

published 10/09/2001 | wiseoldowl
Member since : 15/08/2000
Pro Very, very cheap cars, and excellent service.
Cons In the open air, not easy to spot a specific model.
Price
Service
Efficiency

"Absolutely fabulous place to buy a new car"

I have just bought a new car from Motorpoint at Derby. The price of the vehicle, and Motorpoint's service were both fantastic! If you want to buy a new car, this is THE place to go!

Motorpoint now have two sites. Derby and Burnley. Their price lists are available in most of the free car sales magazines in supermarkets and petrol stations, and in the Telegraph on Saturdays. They also have a web site (www.motorpoint.co.uk) where current stocks are detailed.

The site at Derby is enormous (just off the A52 East of the City centre). Over 2000 cars are on show on the site. Parking for your own car is a bit restricted, and the cars are in random positions in the show area, so locating any specific model is not easy! Most of the cars are in the open, so if you visit the site when it's rainind, do take a brolly!

The range of cards stocked is fantastic! From Porsche, Audi and Ferrari, down to Matiz and Ka!! All the prices are unbelievably low! I settled on a Peugeot 406XL at a fantastic price of £8999. The list price for the car is over £13,800. The cars are brand new, with only 2-3 miles on the clock!

I was offered a choice of red, green, or blue. The car being to the European specification, did not have air conditioning, a CD changer, or rear electrically operated windows, but the lack of these did not bother me. The price was right!! I opted for a £399 2-year extension to the manufacturers warranty, and a £399 Thatcham Category 1 alarm/immobiliser to be fitted. I paid a £300 deposit by credit card, and arranged to collect it, complete with the new-style reg plates, on 4th September. The total cost including road tax, new vehicle registration fee etc was £10,023.

I sent off the balance of the payment 7 days later by cheque, obtained the reg number for insurance, and confirmed the alarm had been fitted. On the due date, I went up to collect the car, it was ready for me, I was shown the controls etc, and told the documents such as the warranty extension, and log book would come in the post, and I drove off VERY happy indeed!!

I am VERY impressed with Motorpoint. Their prices are marginally higher than you might obtain in Belgium or Holland - but I do not consider the hassel associated with buying overseas is worth it! I recommend Motorpoint wholeheartedly to anyone wanting to buy a value-for-money new car!!