Mountain Warehouse Picnic Mat

Mountain Warehouse Picnic Mat

Review of "Mountain Warehouse Picnic Mat"

published 21/06/2017 | ravingreviewer
Member since : 28/03/2014
And now the long haul to Gold is on!
Pro Hardwearing.
Cons Slightly higher price.
Style

"We had a picnic, but forgot the mat!"

Having just been to Looe down in south east Cornwall for an hour or three in the last couple of days, we intended on spending the majority of the time on the beach. However on arrival in the town, we realised that although we had beach towels to sit on we had forgotten anything else to sit on. And this was because we didn't really want to use our towels to dry ourselves off on, and then sit on them on the sand and get wet again or have sand stuck to us meaning that we would of course have to return to the sea to get rid of the sand - and the whole process would of course start all over again!

But in the middle of Looe is a smaller branch of Mountain Warehouse, and outside they had these particular picnic mats for sale on special offer - there were two sizes for sale here, this particular one being the larger of the two and measures roughly two metres by two metres (the smaller one I believe was about half a metre smaller all round than this particular one).

Made in the same material as pretty much any other similar picnic rug, I was a little cautious at first knowing that the initial price was a little high - it was originally selling for £26.99, but on offer for £12.99 (with the smaller one £16.99 marked down to £7.99). For your information, the price that was being charged in the shop (both before and after the price reduction was applied) is the same as it is online as I have also just checked this.

Of course this was a little higher than I would have wanted to have paid, but I accepted this for a number of reasons - firstly, the name of the shop is of course an extremely well known and respected one in my view. Secondly, as we were in the middle of Looe at the start of the summer season then other shops were charging the same if not a lot higher. And thirdly, it is something that can not only be used on the beach but also in other settings also - thus, you get what you paid for.

The style of the one we bought was classed on the label as patterned, but in effect it was a lot of highly coloured lines going all of the way across the item. There were many other more fancier patterns for sale, but we just wanted something that was fairly low key - and after all, the only thing that we were going to be doing with it was sitting on it!

Since buying this particular item it has also been used for a barbecue at home and another picnic in a public open space just outside Plymouth (but what is more of a field!) and has had a whole host of people and things using it - from a six year who likes to drop her food everywhere, to a dog who likes to bite the edges of it. But it is still in one piece with no real damage having been done to it, and so therefore it is quite safe for me to say that it is very hardwearing and extremely good quality - which leaves me with no other option but to recommend it for use by other people.

Thanks for reading!