Pork

Review of "Mr Brains Pork Faggots"

published 22/05/2014 | CoffeeQueen68
Member since : 08/01/2014
Pro Nice taste, plenty of sauce.
Cons None.
Taste
Smell
Product Quality
Packaging

"Faggots to you too!"

Mr Brains Pork Faggots

When I was doing my online shopping at Tescos the other day I decided to buy myself some faggots. I hadn't had these in years, so no idea why I suddenly decided on having them now, but I put it on my shopping list.

Price and Packaging

I paid £1.75 for a packet of Mr Brains faggots. The packet contains 6 pork faggots in a West Country Sauce. The box is mainly all yellow with a picture of the faggots on the front with some peas and mashed potatoes. On each side of the box you will find the nutritional information, contact details, ingredients and cooking instructions.

On opening the cardboard box, the faggots are contained in a foil container with a cardboard lid on it.

The Faggots

Now, the word faggots don't sound all that tempting, nor does the name Mr Brains. But people seem to love these, and according to the box, they have been 'a firm family favourite since 1925'. I know a fair few people who don't like these, but personally, I don't find them quite tasty!

On cooking the faggots, there are 2 ways to cook these. You can cook these in a conventional oven. Remove the lid and place the faggots in a pre-heated oven of 230C and cook for 45 - 55 minutes. Or you can cook them in the microwave for 10 minutes, making sure you remove them from the foil tray to begin with and putting them in another suitable container. This is how I cooked them.

On dishing the faggots up, each faggot is quite large in size and I found they are in a generous amount of sauce. The smell is quite appealing and does not smell off-putting at all. You can smell the meaty faggots and the gravy aroma of the sauce.I think the taste of these is a rather unique taste and perhaps for a specialized pallet, as I don't think these would be for everyones taste. Contained in the faggots are pork and liver and spice extracts. They don't taste too spicy, but you can tell they are there. They have a slight bitterness to them I find, but I think the sauce compliments this flavour and adds a richness to it too. I had mashed potatoes and a few carrots with mine and I feel you don't need any extra gravy on the plate and there is plenty in the faggots.

Nutritional Information (per 100g)

• Energy - 418KJ/100kcal
  • Fibre -0.8g
  • Sodium - 0.7g
  • Equivalent of salt - 1.7g

In summary

I do like these, but I think they are an acquired taste and don't think everyone will like these. There is plenty of sauce in the container and they go well with a bit of mash and veg.Kerry Foods Ltd
PO Box 145

Louise.

• 1st2thebar published 16/01/2018
    Ticks the useful box.
  • GrannyRenthorpe published 11/01/2018
    'The box is all yellow'. Scintillating.
  • danielclark691 published 15/02/2015