Mr. Kipling Cherry Bakewells

Mr. Kipling Cherry Bakewells

Sweet Pies

Review of "Mr. Kipling Cherry Bakewells"

published 19/05/2002 | mortimus
Member since : 30/04/2002
Pro Eating one is sublime
Cons Eating six will make you sick

"I always savour my cherries"

So there I was doing my monthly shop and for once I felt the nibble urge kick in. But what should I go for methinks I don’t want chocolate, mints or anything else like that I want that I can go back to at a later date. Something to enjoy, savour and that sates my sweet tooth.

Cakes goes through my mind exceedingly good cakes… Now where are the b*****s!!!

So off I head on a Kipling hunt (while trying to avoid any disasters Mr Kipling may have left behind him!)

So dodging flying bouncy castles and a charging herd of pony’s carrying schoolchildren I finally reach my objective. The cake section hurrah!!!!

But getting there, reaching my objective and seeing the vista spread before me (oh the wonders of product placement) was the worry…

What was I gonna take! Which treat was I going to indulge myself with….. Was I going to have to buy one of everything or abandon the entire plan and go for a flake. But then as my heart dropped as I stood there I saw my saviour the item that would salve my angst and hunger. Three magic words…

6 Cherry Bakewells

I snatched the package and started running I didn’t have much time left (I had to be back at work in ten minutes), skidding to the till, finding the reward card(I was in Sainsbury’s), paying for my bits and running back to work. Finally after my Indiana Jones impersonation I sat down at my workstation and opened my prize.

‘CHOMP!!!’

Mmmmmm……

They were just as good as I remembered. Biting through the icing and into the almond cake brought back memories of picnics in parks on balmy summer days. The taste was just as rich as I remembered it. Chewing and missing the cherry (I always ate the cherry last) as I proceeded round the rim those memories lingered on reminding me of a friend I had forgotten about….

PRODUCT
Mr Kiplings Cherry Bakewells are still amongst the best on the market. The company has been around since 1967 and the quality of their products still hits the spot. The Cherry Bakewells for me are the best thing they currently produce bar, maybe, the Apple and Blackcurrant Pies. With the new advertising campaign and packaging Mr Kipling cakes show you why they have been at the top of the market for nearly thirty years and it looks like they are there to stay and I for one don’t want them to go.

PACKAGING
The new packaging is a blend of orange and deep red and the promotion they currently have on seriously tempted me. Yes I really want a bouncy castle for a day!!! Do any of you want to come and play on it?(For your information all I am seeing the psychiatrist on Thursday just in case you were wondering).

INGREDIENTS
Wheatflour
Sugar
Vegetable and Hydrogenated Oil
Glucose Syrup
Cherries(With Cochineal Colour)
Plums
Sweetened Condensed Skimmed Milk(Boy that’s a mouthful)
Coconut Flour
Salt
Raspberries
Dextrose
Emulsifiers(E435, E491)

And then there’s the flavourings(will this list end?) : Milk Protein, Gelling Agent(Pectin), Citric Acid, Colour (Anthocyanins), Preservative (Potassium Sorbate), Acidity Regulator (Sodium Citrate), Humectant (Vegetable Glycerine) and (finally) Stabiliser (E341)

Price: £ 1.06

Website: www.mrkipling.co.uk

It is nice to see that Mr Kipling is keeping his standards up (even though he screws up everything else) the product is as wonderful as ever. Its one of those little gems on the food market that you had as a child and forgot amongst all those wonderful things to eat. Me I am planning on revisiting my childhood very soon.

• BubbleCat published 21/06/2002
    Personally, the cherry is the first to go when I'm around. Ahem.
  • shewhosmiles published 11/06/2002