Mud Sweat and Tears - Bear Grylls

Mud Sweat and Tears - Bear Grylls

Non-Fiction - Biography - ISBN: 190502648X

Review of "Mud Sweat and Tears - Bear Grylls"

published 12/07/2012 | carlz2001
Member since : 21/11/2009
Feeling a little happier with the site. Maybe my DIAMOND had something to do with it?! : )
Pro Interesting, funny, endearing
Cons No massive negatives
Degree of Information
How easy was it to read / get information from
How interesting was the book?
How useful was it?
Would you read it again?

"Mud, Sweat, Tears, a few jumps out of planes & an Eton education"

Having two little girls and being in general a house filled with pink: barbies, glitter, you name it, anything girly and we have it; every now and then we have to give in to my husband and allow him to do overly boy things so he still feels masculine! Over the last few years however, he seems to have developed a slight arm chair ‘man-crush’ on Bear Grylls, and we have to watch every programme he does, and I will quite regularly spot him on the Bear Grylls store online! Bless! So, it appears that over the last few years, I myself have also developed a ‘girl- crush’ on Bear Grylls, I mean who doesn’t find a man eating insects, snakes, bats, zebra’s, sharks, lobsters…… sexy?! You name it, he eats it! So when browsing the kindle store recently for books, I had to buy his autobiography and find out a little about this man.

With a natural ability to do anything that the human body should probably not do, he has managed to get a name for himself as an ultimate survivor or adventurer. He is in my opinion quite simply amazing! The things he seems to do (on his now axed Discovery programme!) never cease to amaze me and nothing ever seems out of bounds. I had known from the odd passing comment on his show that he was ex SAS but this is all expanded upon in his book as he explains the things he had to endure during the notoriously gruelling selection course for the Special Forces. It explains where his love came from and leads the reader from the karate training camp in the foot of the Himalayas to his free fall parachuting accident in Africa (he actually broke his back!) to being the youngest ever climber to scale Everest at just 23 (just 18 months after breaking said back!), to many more actual packed adventures.
I know that Bear has many many fans, but there are also the ones that just don’t get him, especially after the controversy he found himself in a few years ago when he was found to have slept in a motel rather than being ‘stranded’ in whatever climate he found himself at the time. I understand all this, but I would urge people to watch his shows or read this book and see just how much he pushes himself both mentally and physically.

Mud, Sweat and Tears is perfect for fans of his and adrenalin junkies. His knowledge is fascinating and he writes in a non-egotistical way. Everything is played down and I like that about him. He has moments when he seems to wander slightly from what he is telling you, for example when he talks about spirituality or his lack of being a hit with the ladies during his time at Eton, but I find this quite endearing.

He explains openly about his private life and his passion for the great outdoors, but also he explains where this passion came from and what drives him. It is exciting to read, filled with humour but also honesty. He admits to living a privileged life, but explains how it had made him the inspiration that he is today to so many around the world.

I have read a couple of reviews online about how this book is rubbish and you should read Ranulph Fiennes book – my husband has read both and enjoyed them equally.

I would definitely recommend this book.

• RICHADA published 13/07/2012
    Not my cup of tea I have to say! R.
  • peteellis published 12/07/2012
    love this show
  • moistbabe published 12/07/2012
    I bet this is an interesting read