Review of "Murad Clarifying Cleanser 200ml"

published 23/02/2005 | celticwiccagirl
Member since : 30/11/-0001
Pro Really does help spots, makes skin feel zingy
Cons Expensive, hard to obtain in UK

"Less clinical than Dermalogica"

Sadly, even though I am in my 20s, I still suffer from the occasional break-out. I no longer suffer from hard-core nasty acne, though I sympathise so much with those who still do. For those of you who are still going through this horrible experience, I would seriously advise getting medical help. The doctors can give you loads of help, and provide products which are not available over-the-counter. So, this review is aimed at those who suffer some spot problems, but not such that they need the matter treated clinically.

That said - I am a great fan of Dermalogica. It works a treat, but it is fairly clinical stuff. Recently, on my trip to the USA, I came across a sale of Murad stuff. Murad is a pricey skin care line over here, which like Dermalogica, is aimed at problem skin. I purchased Murad Clarifying Cleanser in a sale - and I'm impressed. It comes in a clear bottle, with a white and blue label, and the cleanser itself is a pale yellow colour. It smells pleasant, and herbaly, and is less clinical looking and smelling than Dermalogica.

The Cleanser contains triclosan and salicylic acid for your spots. It is thus something that should be bought after advice from a beautician. However, it also contains green tea and herbal extracts to soothe your skin on application. I have noticed that some other skin care brands can make your skin feel overly dry and red. This does not. Instead, your skin feels almost "zingy" and refreshed within about 2 minutes of application.

The cleanser itself is a foaming cleanser to be applied with water. A little goes a long way and it does really cleanse, removing city grime and grease really quickly. I noticed a visible reduction in break-out spots quite quickly, and yet my skin didn't feel too dry. This is obviously aimed at the adult 20/30 something market, who may be concerned about dry skin and the first lines as well as spots. It is probably not aimed so much at teen skin.

I like this stuff and consider it a rival to Dermalogica. However, it is pricey $24 for 6.75oz (though I got that reduced to $18.50). Also, in the UK, I'm not aware of it being available in stores (unless possibly Sephora in London?)- though you can get it online through the Murad site or through suppliers like Sephora. Some of the bargain sites, or ebay might also be worth a look.

To all of you out there who are suffering from acne, chin up and keep smiling. It is a nasty thing to have, and you need to make sure you have a sympathetic medical provider and/or beauty therapist. It does get better though, and there are SO many effective ways of dealing with it. Don't let it win!!

• carly_pussycat published 24/02/2005
    I've found a good cleanser so I'm sticking to it for now :)
  • HotBabes published 23/02/2005
    Sounds good but pricey! :-)
  • purplelynne published 23/02/2005
    It sounds like a good product. Lynne x

offers "Murad Clarifying Cleanser 200ml"