Mustek ScanExpress A3 USB

Mustek ScanExpress A3 USB

Review of "Mustek ScanExpress A3 USB"

published 03/07/2011 | bilbobaginz123
Member since : 22/06/2011
Satisfactory
Pro I didn't get far enough to see any.
Cons Badly made, cheap plastic machine useful to no one, or at least in my case.
Speed
Colour sensitivity
Resolution
Ease of Installation

"You Have Been Warned!"

There came a time several weeks ago when I was in ergent need of scanning some a3 design plans I had produced for a particular university module. I required a quick, un-complicated, un-compromising piece of kit to deliver the goods, and the 'Mustek A3 Flatbed Scanner' had been made available to me by my father at home.
So this seemed like a great way to escape university scanning charges and complete my work at my own leisure, in my own favourite surroundings. Seeing as my dad also owned an A3 printer, surely nothing could go wrong?

Well, there's always a twist in the tale, and my twist involved a broken power cable, and wonky closer hinge. But before that, let me explain exactly how I felt when I first approached the machine a fresh...

The exterior of the machine was minimalistic and basic, nothing more or less than you'd expect, nothing more or less than you'd need. When opening the machine, a clear sheet of glass (not plastic) would seperate your eyes from the electronic chip board and black belt inside. There was also one thick metal bar and two thin metal wires running length ways along the inside of the contraption (quite possibly something to do with the photo taking, I'm not sure). Two metal hinges clutched the lid to the base, but most importantly, everything was in order.

I turned on the machine and it flickered to life - with the computer showing 'a new device' had been recognised. As the sheets I was planning to scan were made of A3 tracing paper, I had to back them with white A3 printing paper before beginning. This really isn't much hastle, and it's very rare that people need to scan tracing paper anyway. As I went to click scan on the computer software which comes up on screen, I clicked, and nothing happened. I looked at the machine, and the power had gone off. A useful (not) message appeared on screen to say the computer had lost connection, but when I went to re-boot the scanner it did nothing.
I looked round the back of the machine and discovered the thin (small jack sized) power cable head was bent, perhaps from having the device up against a wall? But nevertheless this was a bad design fault in my view (ofcourse it was).
When I went to fish out my tracing paper design plans, the second dilemma was awakened. Opening the device, one of the two metal hinges had snapped so that the lid hung oddly when lifted... How could this of happened?! I had treated the machine with the upmost care and consideration, but it had repayed me with bitter disappointment and failure... "bad machine" I exclaimed, but it was too late.

...Back to university and back to the money charging scanners I retreated.

In my opinion you shouldn't buy this machine, just incase a similar event happens to you. I don't know what other peoples experiences have been like, but mine was clearly of a negative nature. You have been warned!

• catsholiday published 03/07/2011
    I bet you were popular at home!!

Product Information : Mustek ScanExpress A3 USB

The ScanExpress A3 USB is a USB scanning solution for A3 size. It features high-resolution, color accurate scans up to 297 x 431 mm. That is large enough to scan an A3 size drawing or two A4 size pages simultaneously. The scanners include image-editing and photo-retouching software as well as optical character recognition software. With its 48-bit color abilities, the ScanExpress A3 can capture over 68.7 billion colors in a single-pass internally. The 48-bit data is used by color management software to accurately display and reproduce the best possible 24-bit image. The ScanExpress A3 USB is truly a cross-platform scanner. It includes all the software and hardware necessary to operate under Windows environments. The installation is easy with USB Interface. The long-life cold-cathode lamp inside the ScanExpress A3 provides up to 35, 000 hours of scanning time. The ScanExpress A3 has an optional transparency adapter. The transparency adapter allows scanning, of materials such as slides, negatives and transparencies.

Product Description: Mustek ScanExpress A3 USB - flatbed scanner

Device Type: Flatbed scanner - desktop

Interface Type: USB

Scan Element Type: Contact Image Sensor

Max Supported Document Size: 297 x 432 mm

Input Type: Colour

Grayscale / Color Depth: 16-bit (64k colours) / 48-bit colour, 16-bit (64K grey levels) / 48-bit colour

Grayscale / Color Depth (External): 8-bit (256 colours) / 24-bit (16.7 million colours), 8-bit (256 grey levels) / 24-bit (16.7 million colours)

Optical Resolution: 300 dpi x 600 dpi

Interpolated Resolution: 9600 dpi x 9600 dpi

Max Document Size: 297 mm x 432 mm

Supported Document Type: Plain paper, bulk objects (such as books)

Document Feeder Type: Manual load

Power: AC 110/230 V ( 50/60 Hz ), AC 110/220 V ( 50/60 Hz ), AC 120/230 V ( 50/60 Hz )

System Requirements: Microsoft Windows 2000, Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition

Dimensions (WxDxH): 38.4 cm x 56.3 cm x 8.7 cm, 38.4 cm x 56.3 cm x 8.6 cm

Interface Type: USB

Max Supported Document Size: 297 x 432 mm

Scanner

Input Type: Colour

Grayscale Depth: 16-bit (64k colours), 16-bit (64K grey levels)

Grayscale Depth (External): 8-bit (256 colours), 8-bit (256 grey levels)

Colour Depth: 48-bit colour

Colour Depth (External): 24-bit (16.7 million colours)

Optical Resolution: 300 dpi x 600 dpi

Interpolated Resolution: 9600 dpi x 9600 dpi

Scan Mode: Single-pass

Scan Element Type: Contact Image Sensor

Compliant Standards: TWAIN

Bulb / Light Source Type: Xe-gas cold cathode fluorescent lamp

Media Handling

Max Document Size: 297 mm x 432 mm

Supported Document Type: Plain paper, bulk objects (such as books)

Document Feeder Type: Manual load

Expansion / Connectivity

Connections: 1 x USB - 4 PIN USB Type B

Interfaces: USB

Power

Power Device: External power adapter

Voltage Required: AC 110/230 V ± 9% ( 50/60 Hz ), AC 110/220 V ± 9% ( 50/60 Hz ), AC 120/230 V ( 50/60 Hz )

Power Consumption Operational ( Standby ): 15 Watt