Mylo Xyloto - Coldplay

Mylo Xyloto - Coldplay

Review of "Mylo Xyloto - Coldplay"

published 10/11/2011 | xdonzx
Member since : 25/05/2007
Pro Different
Cons Not my cup of tea!
Originality
Quality and consistency of tracks
Cover / Inlay Design and Content
Lyrics

"~ * Hmmmm! * ~"

Coldplay are a British alternative rock band. They have been active since 1996. To date they have sold over 50 million albums worldwide.

Mylo Xyloto is the fifth album from Coldplay. It was released in the United Kingdom in October 2011 and so is very recent. The album is currently selling from Amazon for a price of £8.00 which I think is good value for money.

~ * Track listing * ~

1) Mylo Xyloto 2) Hurts Like Heaven 3) Paradise 4) Charlie Brown 5) Us Against The World 6) M.M.I.X 7) Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall 8) Major Minus 9) U.F.O 10) Princess of China (featuring Rihanna) 11) Up In Flames 12) A Hopeful Transmission 13) Don’t Let It Break Your Heart 14) Up With The Birds

The album has done extremely well in the United Kingdom (it reached number one).Do I agree with Britain? Let‘s find out!!

Whilst I wouldn’t have previously said that I was a Coldplay fan, (despite there being copies of some of their albums in the house), I would say that this album is very different compared to their other albums. It is definitely a new chapter in the ‘Coldplay story’.

The songs on her are good. I wouldn’t really say it is my ’kind of music’ although it does make a refreshing change to listen to something different. I like a lot of the songs (I will explain more in detail in a minute). However, I do not think that there is anything ‘WOW!’ about any of the songs. I mean, it is a good album and I can listen to it without having to skip any of the songs, but I just think that there isn’t anything amazing about the songs. There is certainly room for improvement.

~ * Favourite Songs * ~

Charlie Brown - I really like this song. It’s quite unusual and is very emotional.

Us Against The World - A gentle and romantic little ballad.

Princess of China - Well, it’s got Rihanna on it, so I’ve gotta love it. I didn’t think that it would work when I first heard about this song, but it does work - ok-ish! It does seem like a bit of a random collaboration. Perhaps they were using Rihanna’s own popularity as a way to sell their own album.

~ * Voice * ~

Chris Martin (the lead singer), sings well on this album. However, I do think that at times it is hard to hear him and it seems as though his voice has been blended in too much with the music. Also on some songs the music overpowers him. He sounds quite different to how he sounded on their other albums

~ * Lyrics * ~

Listening to the lyrics - there are some weird ones which really make you think!

If you like Coldplay then you will probably like this. However, for me, whilst it’s ok, I wouldn’t say it is an album which I would listen to over and over again. It is more like the kind of album you would hear playing in the background in a pub, rather than something that you would listen to playing ‘full blast’.

Thanks for reading!
November 2011
Xdonzx / xd-o-n-z-x

• AnneLorraine1 published 10/11/2011
    Well reviewed
  • catsholiday published 10/11/2011
    I am not getting much of a feel for the type of music from your review.
  • sandemp published 10/11/2011
    I would have liked to read more of your opinion on the album.

offers "Mylo Xyloto - Coldplay"