Mylo Xyloto - Coldplay

Mylo Xyloto - Coldplay

Review of "Mylo Xyloto - Coldplay"

published 18/04/2012 | Claire562
Member since : 27/02/2012
Pro More uptempo than before, added element of a concept and a great driving album!
Cons A couple of forgettable tracks, different from the past, which may not be to old fans tastes.
Originality
Quality and consistency of tracks
Cover / Inlay Design and Content
Lyrics

"My, my, Xyloto"

Mylo Xyloto album cover

Mylo Xyloto album cover

In recent years I have often expressed a strong dislike for Coldplay. I found their music too depressing, or too slow, or too dull - is what I would have said. Then 'Viva la Vida' came out, and somewhere in my mind I started to enjoy their music, but I ignored any notion that told me I was starting to like them. Then the oncoming storm of 'Mylo Xyloto' began, and I found I had 'Paradise' stuck in my head for weeks, constantly on repeat on the mp3. When the album got released, I decided to give it a chance and found myself somewhat delighted by what I hear. Chris Martin himself has described it as a sort of concept album, describing the meeting and developing relationship of two people - Mylo, and Xyloto. The album begins with a mystical sort of intro that then blends into 'Hurts Like Heaven' which will inevitably get you up and dancing before the first track is over. Next comes the top-selling hit, 'Paradise' followed by recent single 'Charlie Brown', giving the album a bombastic, but very enjoyable start. As the tracks go on, there's a couple of other ones that stick out to me such as 'Major Minus' and 'Princess of China' (I'm not a Rihanna fan, but this is a good collaboration) that sort of echo the style of 'Viva la Vida' times, while at the same time they do seem to be reaching out to the mainstream more. There are a couple of slow tracks, and a few intermission pieces littered throughout the album but, overall, it is extremely fun, to say the least - and that is not something I thought I would ever say about Coldplay! However, I have heard some old fans of Coldplay express a dislike to this album because it isn't in keeping with their older music, perhaps in their opinion it is not as good either - but then most good artists change over time and experiment with the music tastes of the moment, something which I think Coldplay have managed to pull off very well. As a result, I don't dislike them anymore...and I now follow them on Twitter.

• ithoughtyoudneverask published 19/04/2012
    I am so not a Coldplay fan!
  • JoePoirot published 18/04/2012
    I would have liked more info as this is the only Coldplay album I don't own. And you might try to make the layout of the review less cluttered?

offers "Mylo Xyloto - Coldplay"