Mylo Xyloto - Coldplay
Alternative - StudioRecording - 2, 1 CD(s) - Label: Parlophone - Distributor: EMI Operations/CEVA Logistics - Released: 19/12/2011, 24/10/2011 - 50999...
15 reviews from the community
Review of "Mylo Xyloto - Coldplay"
New to this whole reviewing thing so appreciate all feedback :)
This is definitely an album not like the rest. If you're already a Coldplay fan then you might appreciate the fact that they are trying to mix up their genre a bit, i know i do!Mylo Xyloto has it's fair share of haters but you need to look beyond to admire the work. Needless to say, i am a huge fan and got this album as soon as it was out. At first i did not know how to react. this is not your usual Coldplay album but in a way they set us up for it. You can clearly see the changes over the years and this one is, if there is one way of putting it, experimental.
Here is my track list review maybe it will make everything a bit clearer.1. Mylo Xyloto - This is a 43 sec instrumental that kind of eases you into the whole album and glides you into the first song.
2. Hurts Like Heaven - The band this song is all Jonny (the guitarist) "It only has two chords. The songs are group-y, it's guitar-y. Jonny is coming out of his cocoon. We're just trying some risky things." And for me at least, the risk is working, the song is great and the guitar is astounding on it! definitely one of my faves on the album.
3. Paradise - This track is great! the music is enchanting and magical to say the least. The beat is strong but not overwhelming and the strings just seems to complement it perfectly. The Chris starts singing and you know for sure this is Coldplay that we have all known and loved. Prepare to sway on this one!
4. Charlie Brown - Best track on the album in my opinion. The first time i listened to it it was on repeat for weeks. I couldn't get enough of it. You have that amazing quitar riff throughout and the oriental feel we got accustomed to from Viva La Vida, the bands earlier album. It's energetic and will lift you up no matter how down you feel.
5. Us Against The World - A mellow acoustic piece. This track is so simple you can't help but love it. The guitar is touching and Chris's voice is feeling every single word in it that you just can't help but feel his sorrow and pain. Wonderful love song. "Lift off this blindfold let me see again, And bring back the water, let your ships roll in, In my heart she left a hole"
6. M.M.I.X. - You can feel the band is trying the more experimental in this one, its is an electronic track that makes a quiet yet interesting build up for the next song.
7. Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall - Such a happy song! one of the best on the album. Sure it's a bit kiddish but we all need that from time to time. The beat is so inspiring and the lyrics just bounce you off into joy.
8. Major Minus - A darker mood track on the album surprisingly. It's quite paranoid with all Chris' talk about being careful and the repetitive "Got one eye on the road and one on you" . The guitar solo is great on this one!
9. U.F.O. - This track like Chris is exploring his life which makes you ponder on yours as well. Going as far as searching for guidance from above. The strings and acoustic guitar fit perfectly on this one.
10. Princess Of China (feat. Rihanna) - I do hate Rihanna and i never ever like any of her songs and sadly this is no different. It just seems to me like Coldplay are too pop on this one and there is nothing that special about it sadly.
12. A Hopeful Transmission - The final instrumental on the album. It is electronic and quite experimental what with what sounds like someone playing the spoons in the background. A good one none the less.
11. Up In Flames - This is supposedly The last song recorded for the album. This is a simple yet giant ballad. Chris sounds amazing on this track. So melodic and touching.
13. Don't Let It Break Your Heart - Typical Coldplay track. Happy, pop-rocky and straightforward. No weird experimental stuff on this one. You just know where it's heading and it makes you feel good!
14. Up With The Birds - Not the marvelous ending you would be waiting for. "The birds, they sang at break of day/Start again, I hear them say" is what chris martin sings over piano at first. The the track is drenched in strings and restarts accompanied finally by guitars and it is then led to a relaxing but satisfying end.
Product Information : Mylo Xyloto - Coldplay
Manufacturer's product descriptionAlternative - StudioRecording - 2, 1 CD(s) - Label: Parlophone - Distributor: EMI Operations/CEVA Logistics - Released: 19/12/2011, 24/10/2011 - 5099972972625, 5099908755322
EAN: 5099972972625, 5099908755322
Listed on Ciao since: 08/12/2011