Review of "NCIS Season 1 (DVD)"

published 29/04/2017 | stacey2911
Member since : 23/10/2013
Almost at bronze
Pro a good series
Cons no back story throughout
Did you enjoy it?

NCIS Season 1
Price: £6.99
Released: 2003
Certificate: 15

My parents watched this religiously as I grew up alongside CSI, I on the other hand was too obsessed with the soaps at that time but now I have now packed all my dvds in boxes ready to move house so I can't continue with any of my boxset obsessions... I borrowed NCIS season 1 from my dad to see what all the fuss was about and to cure my boredom in the evenings before I move house.

NCIS follows a team of special agents as they investigate crimes, and uncover what happened at the scene. Some of the investigations include Terrorism, Drugs and Murder and almost all are Navy based.NCIS stands for Navel Criminal Investigation Service. I find with this season there isn't a background story to link the episodes so you can watch them quite freely and If you miss an episode it doesn't affect the rest of the season. I see the pros of their not being a background story over the season but I would have preferred one to keep me hooked. There's no cliff hanger at the end of episodes to keep me wanting more. That being said I have enjoyed watching the episodes and finding out what happens. I'm surprised I haven't watched this before as I love crime novels.

Episodes
20. Missing
21. Split Decision
22. A Weak Line
23. Reveille

The first episode of a series is really important, it's usually called the 'pilot' It is the episode which for me determines if I continue to watch a series or not. To begin with I wasn't that impressed, the reason behind this is because it started on a plane, I've watched a fair few different shows and Planes are done far too often. That being said the episode did grab my attention and I continued to watch.
I really enjoyed episode 5 and 8 the most Episode 5 was based around a superstitious curse which had me interested mainly due to the fact that curses is on the verge of it being supernatural which is a genre I love to watch.

I love the script, there are some really funny moments which probably shouldn't be funny for one.... A man sitting at his desk ' The closest I've ever been to a bullet is... ' then he's shot. It shouldn't be funny but the timing was just brilliant.

Main Casting
Mark Harmon as Leroy Jethro Gibbs
Sasha Alexander as Caitlin Todd,
Michael Weatherly as Anthony DiNozzo,
Pauley Perrette as Abby Sciuto,
David McCallum as Dr. Donald Mallard,

Emilie De Ravin is a guest star in episode 3, she seems to be in everything these days from Lost to Once Upon a time. She is one of my favourite actresses so to see her in this was a lovely surprise.
I find the relationship between the agents great to watch and i've really enjoyed watching it develop as the season went on. I find Anthony DiNozzo really funny and his attitude towards women is not great but their comebacks are brilliant. Abby doesn't come across as the stereotypical person to work in a lab she's very eccentric and odd at times, but in a way that she's enjoyable to watch on tv.

Special features
N.C.I.S. Creating Season 1
N.C.I.S. Building the Team
N.C.I.S. Defining the Look
Commentary on "Yankee White" by Co-Creator/Executive Producer/Writer/Director Donald P. Bellisario

Soundtrack
What I Like about you - The Romantics
Hello World - Lady Antebellum
Melting - The Newlydeads
Stained - Android Lust
Nightmate - Eve 6
A few of the songs used in season one, There isn't much of a soundtrack in this season which isn't a bad thing. A soundtrack can distract viewers from what is happening on screen but can also be used to add tension but with NCIS it's not really needed as it's quite dramatic.

NCIS is not my usual genre, I usually watch programmes of a supernatural nature but I fancied a change and didn't have too many options to choose from. I'm in two minds about NCIS, it didn't keep me glued to my seat, there were no cliffhangers to keep me interested and there was no back story throughout the season but I did find it a really interesting season to watch and I did enjoy it, and I do want to continue to watch it. I would recommend NCIS.

• Soho_Black published 03/05/2017
    We discovered NCIS when they played it from the start on FOX a few years ago. Now onto Season 14 of this, and Season 8 of the Los Angeles spinoff...
  • RICHADA published 01/05/2017
    Good review. R.
  • MsTricia published 30/04/2017
    great write up x

offers "NCIS Season 1 (DVD)"