Review of "Nails Inc Nail Polish"

published 11/11/2012 | ryeb
Member since : 02/06/2011
Thanks for all the reads and rates, they are all appreciated x
Pro Lovely colours, British made, glossy, smooth finish
Cons Over priced, not very chip resistant, harder to remove than some
Chips Easily?
Features

"Nails Inc Polish"

When my friend accidently hit my thumb with a hammer, she was more upset than I was. As a sorry present, she bought me two Nails Inc nail polishes to make up for the black nail I was suffering from! She remembered that I used to buy this brand a couple of years ago, although I have happily switched to cheaper ones now. I was delighted with her nice gift, so once my nail was fixed, I decided to rediscover Nails Inc...

THE BRAND

Nails Inc are a British made brand that claim to offer "affordable luxury" and professional quality polishes. They cost a bit more than others on the High Street - my friend paid £10.79 in Boots per 10ml bottle. This is one reason I seldom feel like buying them for myself. They offer a good range of colours, all of which are named after places in London, even the base and top coats. So I have St Johns Wood which is ocean blue, and St James which is a poppy red and my personal favourite. The bottles are simply designed - they would probably say elegant! There isn't much on the front bar the name, while the lid is usually a smart looking silver. They look nice enough but I am only really worried about the quality of the polish inside.

APPLICATION

The brush I would describe as average quality. It doesn't shed any hairs and it spreads out nicely across the nail which makes it possible to apply the polish with the minimum number of strokes. It is on the short side though, which isn't the most practical design to use with a full size bottle. When you have got half way through, you have to keep tipping the bottle up in order to load the brush properly. I would also prefer one that was a bit more tapered as I think this makes applying polish at the nail edge easier.

The polish itself has the perfect consistency. I think runny polishes are difficult to apply neatly when you are in a rush, but this one is fine. The pigment is good, but a single coat doesn't quite make for an opaque finish so I always apply two. This is no trouble to do as it dries quickly - the first coat in about 4 minutes. I like the fact that even when I am in a hurry, the finish still looks good with no uneven colour or brush marks.

RESULTS

The polish dries to a beautiful smooth and glossy finish. It looks shiny and doesn't fade at all. I love St James in particular because the vibrant red is smart enough for work, but also looks good in the evening if I want to go out. Unfortunately, I just can't get it to last very long, and the same goes for the other Nails Inc polishes that I have tried. Just going on my recent experience, St James and St Johns Wood both got chipped within 24 hours of application the first time I used them. I have never got them to last beyond 4 days. An average polish lasts 3-5 days for me. [This is when I have applied 2 coats, and no top coat, and I would expect it to last 5-7 days with a top coat.] So Nails Inc is below average in terms of longevity for me.

I sometimes skip a base coat when I am in a real rush, but I would never dream of doing that with a Nails Inc polish. It takes me slightly longer to remove than others as it is, both from the nail and from the skin if I have been clumsy enough to get any on there. Once off, it hasn't had any lasting bad effects on my nails - they aren't stained or dried out.

WOULD I RECOMMEND THIS POLISH?

The quality of the finish is good, so it is disappointing it doesn't last longer. I like the colours available, but I don't really like the brush you are given to apply them with. I used to think that when I used a more expensive polish, that the reason it had a good pigmentation was the fact it wasn't the cheapest available. My experience of using cheaper polishes has changed my mind and I have found many that give just as good a finish, last longer and are easier to remove. They also happen to cost less. If I was judging the Nails Inc polish solely on value for money I would give it 3 stars, but taking everything into account I an going to let it scrape 4. I do like the finish while it lasts! I would say it is worth buying if you see a colour you love, but I personally wouldn't pay full price for it again.

[This review is also on Doyoo under my user name.]

• ashleighmills8 published 12/11/2012
    Fab review. I agree - my Nail's Inc polishes always chip within a few hours! It's disappointing!
  • dbuk2000 published 11/11/2012