Nails Inc Nail Polish

Nails Inc Nail Polish

Review of "Nails Inc Nail Polish"

published 29/11/2012 | helenc72
Member since : 31/03/2012
Been a bit lazy on here the last few weeks but intending to get a bit more active again with reviewing and rating!
Good
Pro Loads of colours, apply nicely and evenly, removed easily, no staining of nails
Cons Chip easily, more expensive than standard drugstore brands while not really being better
Chips Easily?
Features

"Good range but chips can let them down"

Nails Inc is a popular London based nail company and their nail varnishes are on the slightly pricier side, costing an RRP of £11 each for a 10 ml (standard size) bottle. However, I have never actually paid that for any of mine. I got my first one of these as a free gift with a magazine, and they have recently been on free gift again (I think it is Glamour magazine, and the magazine might still be available if you are quick). My other ones I got in a couple of gift sets from TK Maxx which were really good value.

I have the following colours:

Park Walk - a bright red with pinky tones to it
Carlton Gardens - a medium to dark blue with shimmer and silvery grey glitter
Keats Grove - a dark brownish burgundy
Oakley Street - a muted browny mustard colour
Tate - a dark blood red
Marble Arch - a mid pink, quite a bright but sweet candy type colour
West Hampstead - a very dark purple
Reeves Mews - a bold blue with a bit of a turquoisey shade to it

My favourites of these are definitely Reeves Mews and Park Walk. Park Walk is a very versatile colour that goes with anything so it is probably the one I have worn the most often.

I like the fact that the colours are named after areas or streets of London. This does add a little bit of novelty to them, and a foreign friend who borrowed one liked this aspect as well. I am just disappointed they don't seem to have any named after anything in my immediate vicinity - I would have thought they could at least have done something with Green Lanes! The bottles look simple but nice enough, as they are quite compact and just round with a silver lid.

Anyway, more important than the names and packaging is how they are to wear!

Application of these nail varnishes is fine, but nothing special in my opinion. The brush is on the thinner side, and is definitely not one which you can fan out to cover your whole nail in one stroke. I tend to need at least three strokes - one down the middle and one on each side, if not a few extra strokes just to ensure everything is evenly covered. Although the brush is quite thin it does still give a decent and even coverage. It does not pick up too much nail varnish at once, so it does not really risk any clumpiness or the nail varnish going on too thickly. It holds just a good amount on the brush, and it is not too runny or watery so it does not drip off the brush before you are ready. It does not leave streaks or brush marks when I apply it, and I can generally get a nice even, neat and tidy looking result.

I would say some colours already look quite opaque from one coat, but they do generally look better with two coats. They are not the quickest drying nail varnishes in my collection by any means but nor do they take ages to dry. I normally try to avoid directly touching my nails for a good 10 to 15 minutes but that is me being cautious and they are dry long before that. I would say they are touch dry in about 3 minutes, but occasionally when they seem touch dry they can still smudge a bit e.g. If I dry my hands with a towel, so I try to just avoid any issues!

The lasting power and wear without chips is where this nail varnish falls down to some extent. I find the shades vary massively with how long they will stay neat and chip free on my nails. Annoyingly my favourite Park Walk tends to chip very easily and will usually look slightly worse for where after two days at the most. Sometimes it has even chipped on the first day. Other colours can be long lasting, and the glittery nail varnish Carlton Gardens definitely lasts the longest on the nails. I had it on for well over a week and it was still in perfect condition when I removed it.

These are generally fine to remove with no difficulty with a standard nail varnish remover. The glittery Carlton Gardens took a bit more rubbing, but I find glittery ones of most brands are usually more stubborn due to their texture, so it's not just a Nails Inc issue. The darker colours were quite difficult to get off with a nail varnish remover wipe, but that was more down to the poor wipe than the nail varnish and they are fine with a normal liquid remover on a  cotton pad. They have never stained or discoloured my nails but I do use a base coat and I recommend the you also use one, or else they probably would stain I imagine.

The colour range of these is really wide which makes Nails Inc a fun brand, and I think their nail varnishes are decent, but considering that some chip easily I don't think they are necessarily worth the extra money compared to brands like maybelline or Barry M which are significantly cheaper. I would buy more shades from Nails Inc if I saw them on offer again with a good saving but personally I probably would not pay £11 unless it was a colour I loved and absolutely had to have.

Considering the price and the fact they can chip easily I will give these an average 3 out of 5 stars.

• mademoiselle.ariel published 30/03/2017
    Very well written!
  • danielclark691 published 16/11/2015
    well reviewed
  • pink_champagne published 04/12/2012
    I agree, I think for the price they should last longer x

offers "Nails Inc Nail Polish"