Review of "Nails Inc Nail Polish"

published 31/10/2013 | Absinthe_Fairy
Member since : 03/01/2011
Happy 2016!
Good
Pro Lots of shades, often available on promotion, goes on nicely
Cons Peels off easily, does chip
Chips Easily?
Features

"Not too impressed with Nails Inc"

I won several prizes in the '10 Days of Dooyoo' competition back at Christmas time but I'm only now getting round to reviewing some of them. One of the products I was lucky enough to receive was a Nails Inc nail varnish in the shade Brook Street, a salmon pink. I have tried Nails Inc nail varnishes in the past, and have many shades as they are often given away free, either in magazines like Glamour or in Boots as part of a Diet Coke promotion.

Nails Inc is a a company that has only been around a few years, at least as far as I know. They are a British company based in London and their shades tend to be named after London streets, areas and landmarks. Hampstead Heath, Savile Row, Jermyn Street and Warwick Avenue are a few of the nail varnishes I own. They come in many different colours such as pinks, blues, reds and natural colours. Most of the varnishes are packaged in simple round bottles with silver lids, but Nails Inc also package limited edition varnishes in slightly different bottles often with lids covered in 'bling'. For example, to celebrate the Royal Wedding there are currently two nail varnishes, a 'Will' shade and a 'Kate' shade, with blue and/or Union Jack patterned crystals! You can also buy top coats, base coats and other forms of nail care, as well as several 'crackle' top coats in the style of the famous and popular Barry M top coat.

The standard price for a Nails Inc nail varnish is around £11 but they are often available cheaper, either as part of sets or from stores like Amazon.co.uk, asos.com, Boots and Debenhams. You can also view and buy the full range from www.nailsinc.com. Of course if you wait around long enough there will always be a special offer on at Boots or from a magazine!

I find the Nails Inc nail varnishes to be reasonably easy to apply. The brush is fairly large which makes it easy to cover the nail quickly and neatly although it does make it more difficult to apply polish to smaller nails. I believe ease of application to be a very personal thing however. The polish is neither to thick and gloopy nor too thin. I find it dries fairly quickly, although I'm not a very good judge of this as I will often leave my nails to dry for absolutely ages before testing them, as I always end up smudging them so try to be extra careful! I normally use a base coat with the darker colours as they tend to stain otherwise (which is something common to all dark nail varnishes), but tend not to bother with the lighter colours.

I always find the colour of these nail varnishes is good and an accurate reflection of the colour in the bottle. I normally apply two coats but with some lighter colours I find I need three. This isn't so good as I believe it makes the nail varnish more prone to peeling and chipping. The nail varnish always looks lovely on and gives a nice slightly shiny finish.

What isn't so good is that the nail varnish seems to have a 'peelable' quality. If I try and peel it it comes off really easily, to the extent that I can sometimes pull all the nail varnish off a particular nail in two pieces! The varnish doesn't necessarily chip so much if left by itself, but once a tiny chip is there I end up pulling off all the nail varnish rather than just touching up the chip. I don't know if it's just me, but it means that the nail varnish never lasts more than three days on me, and sometimes as little as one day. This happens whether I use a base and/or top coat or not. I think it must be this particular brand of nail varnish as I have never had this particular problem with others! On the other hand I guess it's a good thing as it means if I do chip my nails I can peel every last scrap of the nail varnish off - bare nails look better than scrappy part-chipped nails. This probably isn't very good for my nails, but never mind!

Overall I'm going to give the nail varnish three stars. It comes in a good range of colours with nice packaging, but it's too expensive considering the quality of the product. I would happily get hold of this nail varnish via a special offer, but I certainly wouldn't be willing to pay full price.

• 80smusicreviewer published 03/11/2013
    Well reviewed. E.
  • Graygirl published 02/11/2013
    Great review x
  • Angela150 published 02/11/2013
    Excellent review..its good that its the same colour as the reflection of the bottle..!