Review of "Nair Glide-On"

published 04/08/2004 | Groovee
Member since : 28/03/2003
Pro No Skin reactions, Reasonable price
Cons Takes a bit of getting the knack to putting on and rinsing off and a horrible smell.
How does it affect your skin?
Next hair removal necessary after
Does it smell good?

"Leaves You Feeling Very Smooth....."

When I was working in America 7 years ago, I was fed up shaving my legs every other day and one of my new buddies recommended that I try Nair as Immac caused me to come out in a rash. When I came home I brought lots with me but it soon ran out. Just a few months back I decided I was going to do something about my legs for the summer especially for my holiday. You can imagine my delight when I spotted Nair glide on.

The type I had in America, was a roll on with a special sort of roller which just smoothed the cream on. I was a bit bemused to discover that there were 3 holes like my old deodorant. It is a sort of rectangle type of deodorant container. It was off a reasonable size which fitted comfortably in my hand. You take the lid off and there is a sticker over the holes. You remove the sticker and at the bottom is a turning bit and you twist this to get the cream to come through the holes.

The smell was like every other hair removing cream which I have tried before. Its a very strong smell which I have found I need to use shower gel to get rid of the smell. It's not the most pleasant of smells and I am not sure how to describe it apart from like a shaving foam only worse.

With the glide on, I am not sure what I was expecting so to get 3 blobs of cream out of the holes was a bit off a shock and there was really no instructions on how to smear it on your legs. I ended up having to twist the notch at the bottom 3 times and then used the top to spread it about my legs. Then I would repeat the process. This took me a good 5 minutes to get my legs covered with a reasonable amount of cream which was equal all over my legs. I had used Immac before it became Veet and they usually gave you a spatula to put it on and off so this can be a bit more complicated. It advises you on the back of the dispenser to test a small patch after 5 minutes. If hair comes away then take it off, if not leave on for a few more minutes. It also tells you not too leave on longer than 15 minutes. I found 10 minutes was about adequate for my hair length. I found getting the cream on a bit of a nightmare first time round. I managed to get some on but often knocked it onto my bedroom carpet which did not go down well with my better half. He soon backed off when I threatened him with it.

To remove the cream they tell you to rinse your legs. The best way I have found to work is to have the shower head down and soak my legs while using a face cloth to wipe the cream off my leg. I find that a bit of pressure needs to be applied to ensure that all the hair comes off. This process takes me about 3/4 minutes to do both legs. I found doing under my arms was easier to take a wet cloth and the hair literally came off as soon as I had wiped the cream away.

The first time I used this, I realised the bits where I hadn't put quite enough cream on to remove the hair. My legs were smooth and for once were not covered in a rash. The felt fine and there was no stingy feelings like with even sensitive hair removal creams. After using this twice on my legs I felt safe to use this on my under arms. The hair under there came off after 5 minutes and left me feeling smooth with no reaction either. Normally I come out in a really bad rash which starts with itching. It was a relief to find something which was nice and sensitive to my skin as well as keeping it smooth.

I've found the hair grew back quickly the first time I used it. But as time went on it started to take longer and longer to grow back. My legs don't need any moisturiser on them either as the nair seems to keep them smooth. My under arms were easy to have down by my side for a change and no reaction. If you have suffered a reaction to hair removal creams before it is worth trying nair as it is very gentle on your skin.

I bought my Nair Glide on in Boots for £3.79 which is reasonable seeing as I have got 4 uses out of one stick. That worked out at about 95p per legs and under arm. It does spread on well once you get the knack of how to do it. I also found the rinsing off takes a bit of knack as well as to what will suit you but for the price and how well this works it is definitely worth it. It makes a change to have a good brand which doesn't cause reaction on your skin and need lots of cream to help it settle down.

The only complaint about this is the smell, but then I don't think any manufacturer will manage to get a nice smelling one. But I have found having a shower and using shower gel gets rid off the smell on me. But I do cream myself in the bathroom as I hate smelling it in my bedroom when I am trying to get to sleep.

Check out Nair Glide on if you want something good to help keep you hair free and smooth. BTW, before you ask, I am not brave enough to do my bikini line yet. But if I do....... I will let you know.

• j3ssica published 19/08/2004
    I've just had a bad reaction to Immac (well, Veet), so I might give this a go! x
  • kappaslappa published 09/08/2004
    Sounds good except the smell is foul, why cant they make them nice smelling :o)
  • fantasybeliever published 07/08/2004