Nars Lip Gloss

Nars Lip Gloss

Review of "Nars Lip Gloss"

published 18/10/2011 | daisyleex
Member since : 24/05/2011
Pro Good quality and looks good
Cons Price, very sparkly
Absorbency
Gloss?
Frequency of Reapplication

"Nars Lip Gloss"

I love NARS products and because I had some birthday money left over I thought i'd treat myself and get one of the lipglosses as I have heard so many positive reviews. I got mine from the ASOS website however the lipgloss can be purchased from a limited amount of shops, the only shop that I am aware sell this is Selfridges but it is more widely available on the internet and can be bought from the official NARS site, eBay, etc. I paid £17.50 for mine and prices vary from around £8-£18 depending on where you buy it from. This is definetly not a cheapo lipgloss and if I hadn't of had the money from my birthday then I wouldn't of bought it as obviously I have better things to spend £17.50 on then a tube of lipgloss. I made sure that due to the price I re-read a few reviews of the gloss, and all were positive so I went ahead and bought it.

This lipgloss is described as highly pigmented and it can be used alone or over lipstick for a high shine finish. It says on the product description that the lipgloss features 'a creamy, semi-sheer formula' which makes me think it's more of a liquid lipstick with a glossy finish if that makes sense. The packaging is very professional looking, it's quite minimalistic which makes it look quite sleek - it's simply a transparent sturdy plastic lipgloss tube which is slightly chunkier and shorter than an average lipgloss tube. I really like the design as it feels quite sturdy if that makes sense. The brand name - NARS is the only writing on the tube which makes it very simplistic, some lipglosses can be really tacky looking but this isn't. The lid is black and screws off. The applicator is atttatched to the lid, it's a little shorter than an average lipgloss wand but not to the point of been too short.

The applicating brush itself is made of some sort of foam, it's very soft and it picks up the gloss well and distributes it easily, because it's quite flat it spreads the formula smoothly and evenly. The only thing is that it seems to absorb some of the lipgloss (only a teeny tiny amount) which I found quite strange. The lipgloss tube contains 8 grams of product which isn't a huge amount considering the price and it's not a very long lasting gloss either - i've had mine since late September and my tube is already looking quite empty (around 3/4 left), so obviously this is an issue if you don't want to regulary repurchase the product.

The lipgloss is available in a number of different shades so there will be something for every skintone - i'm very pale and like my lips to look quite striking so I picked 'Oasis' which I think is the darkest shade available - a lovely pillar box red type colour with beige undertones. Other colours available are light pink, purple, yellow, golden, flamingo pink, etc. Each shade has its own name - for example 'Orgasm' and 'Angelika'. All of the shades are really pretty although I personally (as I have such light skin) would never dare try Luxor - the lilac type shade. The pigmentation is really good, I can't fault it to be honest. It had a prominant shine to it, so it's not the type of lipgloss that I would reccomend if you want a more matte lipgloss as it's the type that is noticeablly a lipgloss, it doesn't look very natural at all lol although when worn right it can look subtle.

The lipgloss itself has a gorgeously thick and creamy consitency, it is almost like a cross between lipstick, lip balm and lipgloss - it has quite a jelly like texture but it's creamy at the same time if that makes sense. It definetly feels sticky but not to point of being unpleasantly greasy or noticeably yucky. The lip gloss hasn't really got any scent and it is tasteless. I do like this as it makes a nice change from the scented lipgloss - it's more mature and basic. The lipgloss gives me a gorgeous noticeable hint of colour which looks quite natural but because the gloss is so shiny it takes away the natural look and makes it very noticeable. It is definetly very glitzy so I would personally reccomend wearing this on a night out or for a special occasion as it would look silly if you wore it to work as it is so noticeable. If you want to tone it down enough to wear to work then you can use it as a top coat over lipstick. The lipstick seems to tone down the sparkliness but not enough for it to look natural. I also find that it makes my lips appear quite moist and plumped up which looks gorgeous and it isn't drying at all, nor does it highlight the lines in dry/damaged lips.

The staying power is pretty good and the sticky texture seems to help it stay put. I'd say on average it needs topping up every 3-4 hours. It's not the best lipgloss in the sense that it doesn't really absorb and instead leaves a thin layer of residue but the residue isn't the type that wears off quickly. This is a really high quality lipgloss and it gives a lovely shine of colour and lots of shimmer. It is definetly not ideal if you want an au naturale type of look but it is ideal to wear to glam up your lips for a night out - reccomended.

• Alyson29 published 18/10/2011
    I've yet to try this brand. Well reviewed Daisy x
  • Elysia2003 published 18/10/2011
    Great review Daisy x
  • catsholiday published 18/10/2011
    I tend to find lip glosses a bit sticky on my lips

offers "Nars Lip Gloss"