pumfster 1

pumfster

About me: Back into the reviewing swing of things. Continued Thanks to everyone who rates my reviews, they are all appreciated.

Member since:22.02.2003

NatWest, More like National Disgrace

04.03.2003

Advantages:
Can't think of any right now

Disadvantages:
Unpleasant staff, Poor Customer service

Recommendable No:

2. angelboouk123
  3. disneykatie
  1. jamesbf
  2. k0622146

Well I already have a current and savings account, but during last summer I decided to get a job for 3 months to get some money to pay off these damn student loans I'm accumulating :) As I pay rent out of my current account I thought it would be a good idea to have a separate account for my earnings to make it easier to track my finances.

I had no real preference of where I got my new account. Already with Barclays and Halifax i thought that I would try out a new bank. I scanned around the centre of Brighton to find out hich bank had the best offers on at the time, and this led my to the NatWest. They had an offer of 2 free CD albums of my choice and was exclusively open to 18-21 year olds.

I went into the bank one afternoon and asked to speak to someone about setting up an account. This seemed OK enough and the chap seemed to be a decent enough sort of guy. However, he kept leaving me to deal with other customers, and I had the impression that he thought of me as an unimportant prospective customer due to my age. Eventually however, he filled in all of the information on the computer and we discussed the ins and outs of the account. 3 further interruptions later he came back and said that the account was all set up, he took my identification and scanned those and that was it. I would recieve my switch card and pin number and further information regarding the account in the post in the next 5 days. I asked him a couple of questions as I needed some things clarified, however he refused to answer them, preferring instead to tell me repeatedly that the answers would be in the documents sent in the post. I found this slightly off, as I felt he should have explained them further at the time.

Then ....... yep still waiting ........ Hooray, a letter 4 weeks later, stating that I had been refused the account as my credit rating wasn't good enough. I was somewhat baffled by this, as I wasn't applying for a credit card, or indeed any overdraft facilities. Unhappy at this as I was told that the account was successfully opened, I took this letter back to the NatWest branch. I asked to speak to the same man but he wasn't available, so another chap asked what the problem was. I told him and gave him the letter, and he simply said, and I quote, "Oh, I dunno" and that was his best explanation. He said it was nothing to do with the branch and that I should call a customer service helpline, which he gave me the number for. He also gave me an extra document ith that number on, saying that they had forgotten to send it out with the rejection letter. Slightly miffed again, I went home and phoned the number. Now here's where it gets fun, they told me that they couldn't help with each individual that rang, and that my branch would have all the answers to any problems. I told them that they said to ring the helpline and they said that I was wrong and I must have misunderstood what the branch meant. So much for the customer is always correct!!! I told them that the man in the branch was quite clear and underlined the number on a sheet, and they hung up on me.

Now I was very narked off, and despite hating making a fuss or complaining I went back to the branch. Here I was basically told that I had been rejected, the details were unimportant, and that I should live with it. Fine I said, I'll take my business elsewhere.

As you can see, the attitude of the staff and helpdesks were appauling, and they had no interest in my custom. How can you reject someone for an account for 18-21 year olds? If I didn't get in, then I'm sure a fair few others are in the same boat. In addition, NatWest must have kept my details, and now I am getting bombarded with letters asking do I want a NatWest credit card. The cheek!!!

I would advise anybody wanting to start an account and especially younger people, to try another bank, any bank rather than the disgusting attitude of the National Disgrace, erm I mean Westminster Bank.

heliosvk777 20.11.2004 17:14

Sorry couldnt't help but laughing at your story. I applied for a credit card with them and it was turned down but the day after i got a leaflet and a new application form. This bank is serious crap

Dscousehouse 09.06.2003 16:04

I have had no problem with Natwest or their staff but I believe what they put you through was disgraceful I would complain

coolaskaha 19.04.2003 19:42

You have just read my opinion on Natwest and when you said you had written one I couldnt wait to read it. I thought our problem might have just been an isolated incident but it appears not. I'm not normally the type of person to complain, anything for a quiet life but I'm seriously considering it this time. SARAH