Briz_Hatc... 2

Briz_Hatchings

Member since:05.02.2001

Soild card but not really solid enough

10.10.2001

Advantages:
Convenience of High Street bank credit card for payments and cash withdrawals .  Decent online facility .

Disadvantages:
Poor loyalty scheme value, extortionate charges .

Recommendable No:

3. Anindya
  1. Mclbee
somewhat helpful by (5%):
  1. lynsey82

I used this card for my first two years of Uni mainly because it offered AirMiles (1 for £20 spent excluding cash advances) I never had any troubles with wrongful charges or mysterious purchases but I did pay by no-nonsense direct debt. Rather perversely my housemate likes to refer to it as the male credit card. His reasoning is that The Littlest Hobo is featured in the advert and with that being for boys and Lassy for girls it becomes a masculine credit card. Iíve yet to see Lassy advertising plastic power though.

I stopped using it because I felt that the AirMiles werenít as good value as the cashback scheme offered by Egg, with a reduction in the cashback though I am considering going back. One of the benefits of AirMiles is that it is a large scheme so provided you shop in Sainsburyís Visa and reward card and at Shell with your Shell Visa you can, along with other contributions, rack up a considerable amount. Various calculations Iíve done mean they work out at marginally less than 1% of what you spend but you can earn them in a lot more places than when you use your card so they can be worth it. Obviously this does depend heavily on your own personal situation.

I should really submit a separate opinion on AirMiles but seeing as this is one of the main reasons I use the card I feel it necessary to comment on them here. Redeeming them is quite easy, although Iíd advise doing it over the phone and only using the web to check you balance. A wide selection of flights and other things are available something which is rather strange for a points scheme that normally limit you beyond your liking.

I had a bit of trouble obtaining a card as initially I was rejected but a quick opening of a Student Account and a chat with the bank sorted that one. My credit limit has not always been as much as I have required but I have come to accept that this is part of building a credit rating and it is now at a level that is fine. Also this being a card of a high street bank it allowed me to nip into the bank and withdraw a wad of much needed emergency cash (for which there was a 0.5% charge) when I had forgotten my pin.

As I pay my bill off each month and condemn paying annual fees value for money isnít really the right term to use with this card, as I technically pay nothing for it. The rates are, typical of a high street bank, very high. Its not designed for those who donít pay off their bill in full each month and certainly those who donít pay it at all as late payment fees are extortionate.

Customer services can be contacted on a national number in Southend on Sea, good if you live near there. You are normally kept waiting for around 10 minutes but can check your balance and transactions using the key pad. Often having put my card number in using the key pad though an advisor would ask me for it again?!?! But would be helpful in all other cases.

If your still dumb enough to bank with a High Street Bank you can pay your bill over the net from your Natwest account. I prefer to do mine via direct debt. The website is good if not a little memory hungry. It used to be the case that you could only log on using one type of computer (being a Mac user this meant I couldnít log on using a PC). I should hope the new website has resolved problems like this.

And thatís about all I have to day, this is a fairly standard card and better ones are available. Iím more wary of schemes like AirMiles these says two. A scheme that offers you back about 1% of what you spend can often be 3% more expensive than its competitor that doesnít offer the scheme.

Katecgreen 05.08.2002 18:17

It depends what you use the card for. Ok Ok, i agree and disagree with you!!! Nice Opinion. Kate x

Anindya 23.02.2002 13:13

Nice op. Quite agree with you.

bugzzz 10.10.2001 15:58