Nerf Rebelle Secrets & Spies Agent Bow

Nerf Rebelle Secrets & Spies Agent Bow

Toy Gun, Bow - For ages: 8 Years +

Review of "Nerf Rebelle Secrets & Spies Agent Bow"

published 28/04/2015 | Effers
Member since : 25/04/2015
Hello, I'm Flick :). I'm a stay-at-home mother of three boys, trying to share my experiences with the world!
Pro Fun, durable, range
Cons Absolutely none, save maybe colour, but I don't really think that matters!

"Gender-Specific Toys? Pfft. Nice try Nerf."

The rubber tip :), please excuse my lack of dusting!

The rubber tip :), please excuse my lack of dusting!

Gender-Specific Toys? Pfft. Nice try Nerf.

by Effers

Firstly I want to say that I bought this for my five year old son for Christmas. He and his brother requested bows and arrows on their lists to Santa, but the thought of them both having something that could actually be construed as a weapon (and yes, if you knew my sons, you'd know that even the basic wooden childrens ones could be severely dangerous) had me trawling the internet and the toy shops vigorously. Then I stumbled upon the new Nerf collection and saw the most amazing bow and arrow I've ever seen.

Except it was pink.

Only in pink.

Or purple.

Apparently doing the same toy in multiple colours to appeal to all children wasn't as entertaining as making a brand spanking new girls only collection. I'd be fine with that. If they'd not confined bows and arrows to 'girls' and guns to 'boys'. Sigh. But what could I do?

So I sat down with my children, M decided that he couldn't possibly have a pink bow and arrow so quickly amended his list to include the Nerf Zombie-Strike crossbow. D was unperturbed by the pink bow, he wanted it, and I can't say I blame him.

It's freaking awesome!

The Toy

The bow retails for about £30. I think that this is entirely worth it. It's on the medium spectrum of toy prices and I think it's perfectly reasonable for the toy you are getting.

The bow is a fair size when it comes, and is supplied with three foam-tipped arrows. They don't hurt when fired at point blank range into your bare leg. Trust me. My fiancé plays with it more than my son and is three times as ruthless. He also won't listen when I try to put him on the stairs. But considering they're toys which are designed to be fired at each other – they're very safe. These arrows aren't going to be taking out any eyes, or leaving bruises.

The toy is sturdy and has a slot for the arrow to be placed in to help with aiming and a button for a laser (if you're nice enough to your children to actually put batteries in the thing). The string of the bow is a thick piece of rubber tubing, which has stood the test of my heavy-handed boys for four months now without even a tiny sign of breaking. That's probably a mark towards indestructible for anybody else's kids.

(I know I said the toy didn't hurt, but I'm playing with it now to test it out, purely for research purposes you understand, and have just twanged myself with the string. Ouch!)

There's a slot in the back of the arrow, where the string fits in, for ease of play. So you just slot the arrow in, pull back the string and fire. The bow itself fires the arrow a long way, and we've managed to get it clear across the garden and into next doors more than a few times. It also whistles when it's got a distance, something you probably won't notice in the house but is a rather nice touch for battles, I mean playtime, outdoors!

Target Age Group

This toy is recommended for ages eight and over. My boys are five. It was with this knowledge I bought it, and to be fair, it's a little big and heavy for them to use properly. But they do try. Obviously with bigger children it will be much more effective. It's great for teaching co-ordination though and builds muscles as the string takes a little strength to pull back. As durable as this toy is, I'm not worried about it not lasting until they're old enough to fully appreciate it.

Overall Conclusion

I love this toy. My son loves this toy. My other son is constantly complaining that he got the crossbow instead. In case you missed the angle I was getting at here. This is a fantastic toy. Usually Nerf toys are all samey, they've got countless guns and bullets littered around the house. But this is something totally different.

I thought that D might get a little embarrassed that it's pink, but it's never once come up, it's like people see the toy and don't even see the colour because it's so much fun! Proof that you can't make a bow and arrow gender-specific. You can just make them cool.

I think it's fantastic that Nerf have finally realised it's okay for girls to play war. But I do think they should focus less on making specific brands for each and more like making toys like the available to everybody!

I would buy this toy again. I will probably end up actually buying it again, if M keeps nagging.

Might even buy one for myself as well!

• jb0077 published 30/04/2015