Review of "Nestle Carnation Caramel"

published 03/04/2011 | donf18
Member since : 30/11/2000
Pro lovely
Cons none
Taste
Smell
Product Quality
Packaging

"My list of deliciousness"

Intro

The recipe on the side of the tin was for Banoffee Pie; it stated also that it would serve six people. Not six of me it won’t, perhaps 4 at a push because I luvs me Banoffee Pie. They must make the cans in batches since there appears to be different recipes, so if you intend to purchase ensure you are not replicating a previous purchase, that way you can collect them all. Alternatively you can visit the excellent website and get even more super recipes.

Carnation

Carnation milk has been popular in our family for donkey’s years, initially it was used as a topping for fruit and for this purpose it is delicious. A while back they decided to add another variety to their range and this one is Carnation Caramel. You can imagine my delight being a sweet-toothed old codger I just had to have some. The 397g tin retails at around a quid, which I think is reasonable. Each tin contains 148 calories, 27.6g of sugar, 3g of fat of which 1.9 are saturates, and .1g of salt. So now to the good stuff.

Recipes

As indicated each tin has a simple recipe to produce some really tasty sweets, the website contains some real crackers such as Toffee Apple Tart, so a visit there is almost imperative for us sweeties. As you’d expect each recipe requires a tin or a large portion of a tin of this thick milky caramel madness. A few other ingredients, such as flour and marg may also be required, but we are not talking a fortune.

Caramel

The can is of the ring pull type and when opened reveals light brown creamy thick milk like substance, which I feel, I could just dive into. There is a hint of caramel in the smell but it is predominantly a sweet smell. A dip of my finger to sample gives me an idea of things to come. Now I have used the normal Caranation for millionaire’s shortcake many times, but I was soooo looking forward to doing it with the Caramel version. The caramel flavour was oozing deliciousness with every lick of my finger, there was a chance if this persisted that there would not be sufficient to make the millionaire’s shortcake. It was also quite sticky and a good spoon is a requirement for remove ALL the contents from the tin.

I’m not going to explain the process of making this delight since most will know or simply buy the pre-made stuff. If you are in the latter I suggest a shift in strategies since this version is far superior to any you may have tried. It also makes rather spiffing tablet, with a tinge of caramel…………………now how good does that sound. Most of the recipes require some baking or at least heating in an oven. During this the smell of the bubbling Caramel Carnation, kicks the taste buds into gear in anticipation of the finished product.

Summary

This stuff I could and have eaten straight from the tin, it may be slightly sickly in it’s can state, but when added to any of the recipes it produces some really spectacular sweets. The kids will love it, and most of the recipes will allow for them to get involved in the making of your chosen recipe. I have printed off some of my favs, but I keep returning and finding another delight to add to the list of deliciousness. For a quid and some other relatively cheap ingredients you can end up with a plateful of delights worth well in excess of their retail price, they’ll keep everyone happy for a while since they are sweet and are wonderfully tinged with caramel and delicious.

• LiveMusicLoverLyn published 06/05/2017
    Ready made eh, we used to boil a tin for hours!
  • Coloneljohn published 12/04/2011