Nestle Cookie Crisp

Nestle Cookie Crisp

Children's

Review of "Nestle Cookie Crisp"

published 02/03/2012 | Ryanellaxx
Member since : 20/03/2010
Been on holiday but back now to write & rate! We need more than 8 Es a day! - Love family friends good food and wine! x
Good
Pro wholegrain, appeal to kids, can collect book tokens
Cons go soggy quite quickly, chocolate flavoured pieces rather than chocolate.
Taste
Smell
Product Quality
Packaging

"Is it a cookie, is it a crisp , no, it's a cereal!!!"

We bought these because a friend of my son's who was having a sleepover likes them although he eats them dry without milk!

This whole grain cereal from Nestle looks like teeny tiny cookies with chocolate chips in them and yes, they can be eaten dry but personally I wouldn't! When I sniffed inside the packet I was met with a mild doughy sort of smell - not very chocolatey or natural smelling which I wasn't too keen on as it did smell processed and rather artificial.

These are fortified crispy wheat and maize ceral pieces with chocolate flavoured chips in them which are minute and not as big as pictured on the front of the box which depics a fox (or a wolf) licking his chops and about to tuck in to a big spoonful. The box is recyclable which is good and a 375g box will set you back around £2.08 from Tesco but these probably can be bought cheaper in other stores or when on discount.

Each 30g serving contains 115 calories which isn't too bad even if you were dieting; 10.3g of sugar (which is quite high but I have seen higher) and this cereal is sweet enough not to need any sugar sprinkled on top like you do with rice krispies or cornflakes; 0.9g fat (again good, especially as only 0.3g of this is saturates); and 0.3g of salt which is not too bad at all.

Brown sugar is used in these which I guess is what makes them beige in colour and there is a slight chocolatey flavour which is not too overpowering but these are still sweet. Personally, I would like them to taste more chocolatey but as I don't eat these it's not really a problem. To me they taste very processed and not particuarly natural which I prefer and which I prefer my children to eat.

Each cereal piece is about as big as a 5 pence piece. If eaten dry these are quite crispy but once the milk is added they have a softer slighly chewy texture and don't hold their crispiness for very long and if left too long go quite soggy.

The fact that these are wholegrain means they are moderately healthy as a breakfast choice but because of the highish sugar content I would not let my kids have these very day.

You get book tokens with this pack for free books for schools so it's a good marketing ploy, encouraging kids to collect tokens and to read.

All in all, an average kids cereal that kids will love but adults probably won't!

Thanks for reading. x

• MarcoG published 03/03/2012
    That is quite a lot of sugar though x
  • Alyson29 published 02/03/2012
    Not one I've heard of before x
  • catsholiday published 02/03/2012
    I remember having to buy this as a treat!