Review of "Nestlé Walnut Whip"

published 24/12/2010 | Alyson29
Member since : 07/09/2010
Pro Gorgeous fondant centre
Cons They're fattening!
Taste
Smell
Product Quality
Packaging

"Lose yourself in a Walnut Whip"

Nestlé Walnut Whip

Nestlé Walnut Whip

As there are rather a large number of yummy food items in my Christmas stash I thought I would take the opportunity to review a few of them. Whilst I am very familiar with the taste of a Walnut Whip I have been absolutely forbidden by my husband to sample one for reviewing purposes, particularly as we only have two boxes! Consequently, this review is written from memory and discusses an absolutely delicious chocolate manufactured by Nestle.

A LITTLE ABOUT NESTLE

I was totally unaware until I carried out a little research that Nestle’s Walnut Whip has been around since 1910 and is their oldest current brand. I am somewhat shocked that this delicious chocolate has been available for one hundred years and was of the opinion that it was launched during the early seventies. I was also unaware that the manufacturer is located in Ireland and the UK and employs over 7,000 staff in 23 sites. Nestle have been in business for over 140 years and from researching their website they are clearly a responsible business with long term sustainable values. The company are known for an array of products, such as dog food and many confectionary items.

APPEARANCE OF A WALNUT WHIP

Whilst Walnut Whips can be purchased individually I tend to purchase mine in a 98g box of three due to the high price of buying just one. If you are familiar with this delicious chocolate you will be aware that they are presented to us in a bright blue cardboard box with the familiar gold and white Nestle logo situated in the upper central area. The words Walnut Whip take up the majority of the space on the packaging and on the left hand side we see an image of the delicious chocolate. You may recall that once upon a time Walnut Whips were available in coffee and mint flavours as well as the vanilla that I am reviewing today, but I’ve not been able to locate them for years. Judging by the information provided on Nestle’s website I believe that sadly, the other flavours have been discontinued, which is such a shame, as they were simply delicious.

On the side of the box we are able to read the words “lose yourself in a …. “ and inside we will find three delicious whips, each wrapped in a blue cellophane wrapper; the advertising of which mirrors the front of the box. We are informed that each Walnut Whip contains 170 calories and a minimum of 14% milk chocolate solids, vegetable fat and cocoa butter. As I am not permitted to open the packet (!) I am attempting to measure the chocolate through the cellophane wrapper and I would advise that it stands at approximately 5 cm in height and sits on an approximate 3½ cm in diameter base.

If you are familiar with a Walnut Whip you will be aware that it narrows as it heads towards the upper section where you will find the walnut. Whilst Nestle proudly advise on their website that they use 1 million walnuts each week for their whips I am of the opinion that these would make several million whips, as it is very rare that you will find a large piece of walnut resting on top of your chocolate. In my experience of eating this chocolate all you will find is a slither of walnut, which has considerably diminished in size over the years, as I can well recall them displaying a huge piece of walnut. Also, I am unsure if this is me, but I’m positive Walnut Whips were much larger, or is it that my mouth is too big?! My husband would most certainly agree with the latter!

AND FOR THE BEST PART - EATING YOUR WALNUT WHIP!

To get into your Walnut Whip you simply need to tear along the relevant section on the top of the cellophane, which is coloured white. Each Whip is covered in swirls of delicious thick chocolate and contained inside is a vanilla flavour fondant cream. I’ve yet to eat a Walnut Whip without getting myself into a real mess, so there’s no point in trying to be ladylike, as I always end up with a moustache from the thick white fondant cream! I have to say that the taste is absolutely delicious and I am craving for one right now, but I will not give into temptation and will continue to write this review from memory!

The chocolate isn’t the best I’ve ever tasted, but it is very thick and creamy and Nestle most certainly haven’t skimped. The vanilla fondant cream is the best part of the Walnut Whip and it most certainly does not disappoint, as it is extremely light, delicious and most definitely indulgent. The cream is plentiful and totally fills the inside of the chocolate shell. Another favourite section of the whip for me is the base, which is really thick chocolate. I’m not a great lover of walnuts, so I always remove it from the top and hand it to hubby before I delve in.

NUTRITIONAL (OR FATTENING!) INFORMATION

After I’ve informed you of this delicious chocolate I now have to give you the boring bits – the nutritional information based per whip:-

Energy 712 kJ, 170 kcal
Fibre 0.5g
Sodium Trace
Salt equivalent Trace

OTHER INFORMATION

Your Walnut Whips should be stored in a cool dry place and the box and cellophane packaging from each whip is recyclable once empty.

MY RECOMMENDATION

Whilst the chocolate isn’t the most creamy I have ever tasted the vanilla fondant cream most certainly makes up for it. Consequently, I cannot remove any stars and Nestle Walnut Whips receive a full 5 from me.

PRICE AND AVAILABILITY

Walnut Whips are available in most supermarkets and paper shops, but I always find them a little pricey. However, Poundland regularly sell a box of three for, yes of course, £1.00, so I purchased my two boxes in September in readiness for Christmas, so roll on tomorrow when I can starting eating them!

I hope you found my review useful and would thank you for reading.

This review also appears on Dooyoo under the same user name.

I have one last thing to say and that is MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR! I really appreciate all of the support you have given me xx

• K2705 published 28/09/2011
    Very well reviewed xx
  • SweetTooth93 published 25/01/2011
    Definitely always buy them in a multipack or i'd end up poor!! Not a huge fan of walnut but these are gorgeous!
  • Deesrev published 11/01/2011