LaceyR26 4

About me: Hey Everyone! I'll be back in the New Year Don't lose touch x L@cey

Member since:03.04.2009

A super sweet milk

28.07.2009

Advantages:
Lower fat, sweet, cheap

Disadvantages:
Overly sweet by itself but not sweet when mixed with other things

7 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. paulpry118
  2. fizzytom
  3. Autarkis

I remember watching my step-dad pouring condensed milk on his toast before and was intrigued as to how any one would want a sweet milk on their bread. My step-dad had the full fat full sugar version on his but I spotted a 'light' version in ASDA, at just 92p for a 405g tin.

Condensed milk is basically, milk which had been condensed and sweetened with sugar to form a kind of syrup. The version I am reviewing is made my Nestle, which may off-put a lot of people who hold grudges against the brand. I really love Nestle condensed caramel, which is used in banoffee pies and this can actually be made from condensed milk if you simply add golden syrup to it and heat (I think).

The tin doesn't have a ring top, so you have to open it with a tin opener. The tin is covered in a paper strip with' Nestle Carnation light condensed milk' clearly stated in the front. On the back, there is a recipe suggestion for 'key lime pies' using the product.

Per 50g there are 145kcal and 0.1g of fat. Now, the condensed caramel version has virtually the same about of kcal per serving, but more fat at 4.6g (though less sugar surprisingly at 27g as opposed to 30g is this).
To be honest, I don't kow how much 50g is but I'm guessing you would never eat this amount if you're putting it on toast or something of the sort. Or even as a dessert. Why? because it is so sweet.

I have recently ran out of honey and ASKEY'S toffee ice cream sauce, much to my dismay, and had nothing to put on my weetabix. I remembered this lurkign in the cupboard and thought I'd try it on my weetabix. The whole on toast idea just doesn't seem to appeal to me but I will perhaps try it one day.

Opening the tin, I am greeted by a pale yellow syrup. I say 'syrup' but it wasn't as thick as a syrup and a lot runnier than the condensed caramel or ordinary condensed milk versions. When I popped by spoon in and lifted, the syrup gently trickled off the edge in little ripples so it wasn't like water but nor was it like cream. I would say it was just slightly thinner than golden. The smell is very overpowering like a mighty strong sweetener.

I sampled a bit on it's own. Surprise surprise, it was very sweet. I wouldn't say, sugar sweet though. It actually tasted like a sweetener and I was reminded of Nestle Caramac for some reason which was pleasing. It also reminded my of fudge, perhaps because fudge is often made with condensed mik. It was quite sickly sweet and very sticky and gloopy but smooth in my mouth.

Despite the sweetness, I barely recognised it on my weetabix. It seemed to sit on top of my breakfast but the weetabix taste was actually stronger than the sugar. There was a sweetness in there, but no where near as strong as sampling on its own. I don't know whether this is good or bad. It's good because it's not sickly but bad because you may be tempted to add more.

I would probably recommend using this in deserts rather than as a basis for topping cereal or toast. I saying that, I did drizzle a little over some sugar free jelly which proved to be very nice. Also, I tried it on crumpets which proved a treat. It sank through the crumpet and made it moist and sweet, as an alternative to honey.

For 92p, you'll get plenty of servings out of this so it's a really good deal and lower in fat that the other products if this is want concerns you. It's made from a mix of skimmed milk and sugar and there are zero saturates.

overall, a nice wat to sweeten up desserts and for lower fat baking treats but for toppings, I think I'll stick to my beloved honey, which provides more nutrition to the calories.

KateHurst 28.07.2009 16:22

I think I've used this to make caramel to go on shortbread - just can't remember if it was the light version or not! (I never would have thought of putting this on Weetabix . . .)