Netdoctor Alphosyl 2 in 1 Shampoo

Netdoctor Alphosyl 2 in 1 Shampoo

Review of "Netdoctor Alphosyl 2 in 1 Shampoo"

published 22/06/2009 | oldchem
Member since : 30/05/2009
Pro It actually does work
Cons Expensive ( oh and that colour)
Does it smell good?

"Change the Singing Detective into the humming housewife !!"

For the last 30 years I have suffered with Psorasis, it has got progressively worse over the years.

I think that I have probably had just about all treatments available, the light treatment being the most effective, but none of them last.

The Psoriasis on my scalp can really be the most embarassing, I dread visits to the hairdressers and if I wear dark clothes my shoulders can be covered in white flakes. My scalp gets extremely itchy and tight - which gets a lot worse after colouring my hair (but the greys do keep coming!!)

I have had several scalp treatments off the doctor, but most of them had a very unpleasant smell as they are coal tar based and most didn't leave my hair in good condition.
Coal tar has been used in skin conditions for hundreds of years it has a mild antiseptic and anti-inflammatory effects, and relieves itching - but it stinks!!!!.
Then the doctor prescribed Alphosyl 2 in 1 shampoo for me.

SO WHAT IS IT?

Basically its a shampoo and conditioner with ingriendients that are soft and gentle on irritated skin that is used to treat scaly, itchy skin conditions affecting the scalp, such as psoriasis, eczema, seborrhoeic dermatitis or dandruff, and more to the point has a pleasant smell!! The product is licensed by GlaxoSmithKlyne.

PACKAGING

The shampoo is available in two sizes - 125ml and 250ml. It is packaged more as a medical product than an beauty product The bottle is white with a mainly blue label and a white flip top lid. It has a clear plastic cover oon it with a removable back that list the precautions needed to be known.

THE SHAMPOO & USE

When you open the flip top lid, you can smell the coal tar straight away, but it is not an overpowering smell as it can be in similiar products, it basically smells 'clean' !! The shampoo itself is fairly thick and a really unpleasant dark green colour - it does NOT look good, but it is not the look of the shampoo I am interested in but its ability to help my skin condition and also to leave my hair looking good.
Now I am not about to give a step by step guide to washing your hair, I'm sure that is not necessary!!
You simply massage some of the dark green 'gloop' into your wet hair ( the amount needed depending on the amount of hair you have) for several minutes until a rich lather is produced, rinse the hair thoroughly and repeat.

DOES IT WORK?

I find if you use this product every day, every other day at the least, it does really cut down on the flakiness and stops the itching. More to the point it leaves my hair in ust as good condition as any of the expensive beauty products. I will never get rid of the Psoriosis - medicalscience has not found that solution yet, but used regularly this certainly does help to abate the scalp problems..
The price is around £6 for the 250ml bottle and around £3 for the 125ml bottle from a pharmasist and is also available from 99p on E-Bay, you can get it on presecription from your doctor - but if you pay for your prescriptions it works out cheaper if you buy it over the counter ( cheaper still from E-Bay!!)
Try it if you have any scalp problems - not just Psoriosis - it does work, and good luck.

• manlybeach published 22/06/2009
    My mum had Psoriosis and tried everything to try and help manage it. Well reviewed x
  • Fiver29 published 22/06/2009
    I'll have to remember to ask the doctor about this next time I go.
  • hillhead published 22/06/2009
    Great review. I must tell my brother about this one to try out with his Psoriosis.