Review of "Neutrogena Hydro Boost Water Gel"

published 20/03/2017 | Chippytarka
Member since : 04/06/2013
FINALLY can log in! Well at least on one device!!!
Pro Easy and quick to use, nice fragrance, aborbs quickly and hydrated somewhat
Cons Not my preferred texture, not good for those with specific facial concerns
How easily is it absorbed?

"Lovely and Light Face Gel!"

Neutrogena Hydro Boost Water Gel

Neutrogena Hydro Boost Water Gel

My beauty stock pile is dwindling! Quite an upsetting feeling to have if I'm honest. It's been building up quite nicely this year but I've been dipping in and out of it so no wonder the products are alittle thin on the ground. Rather than go and buy new items to fill the gaps, I'm relying on samples and freebies I've managed to get my greedy little hands on. This product I got in the form of a sachet direct from the company a few months ago as some form of online marketing so the cost of acquiring it was a big fat zero. But as far as I can tell it comes in a standard 50ml size available from most good stockists of skincare products, and a recent internet search found this being sold on Boots.com on promotion for £8.66.

Why did I request this?

Purely out of curiosity! I don't think I've ever bought and used anything from this brand, so was interested to see what this product was like. The sample being free always helps, but I'm always on the look out for good face and body products and thought let's give this a try.

What is this supposed to do?

This is a facial gel designed not only to lock and hold moisture into the skin, but also provide an almost drip feed system where it provides hydration to the skin if and when needed. Light weight, oil free and perfect for sensitive skin.

How to use?

Apply to the face and neck using circular movements. Use daily on clean skin.

Ingredients

PR-016935 Aqua, Dimethicone, Glycerin, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Sodium Hyaluronate, Ethylhexylglycerin, Dimethiconol, Cetearyl Olivate, Sorbitan Olivate, Laureth-7, C12-14 Pareth-12, Polyacrylamide, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Carbomer, C13-14 Isoparaffin, Sodium Hydroxide, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin, Methylparaben, Benzoic Acid, Parfum, CI 42090

What did I think?

Although I didn't buy this, the actual cost of this if bought for the full size version seems fair and standard to me. It is a branded product but not a high end one, so for this to cost under £10.00 seems fair to me and quite affordable. With this being something as well that is readily available on the high street, is another added bonus as repeat purchasing if needed won't be an issue.

Texture of this is what I would expect. Gel like in consistency, smooth, lightweight and with a slight white tinge to it. In fact, I would say the texture and appearance of this is probably more serum like on reflection. Wasn't too thick so very easy to handle and to apply.

This product didn't require any need to be rubbed into the tips or palms of the hand before application. What I did do was sweep this over the face. Wasn't too sure whether this would feel very cold over the face but I didn't notice it. It glided over the skin and surprisingly I didn't need to use too much,so seemed quite concentrated which was good. No effort in making it sink into the skin as it just did, and didn't appear to sit on the top layer. Face was left to look very normal so matt in appearance with no visible shine. Skin, although didn't look very different, actually felt incredibly smooth and I couldn't help but feel it. There was no obvious layer on the skin for me to mention. All I can say is my skin felt as if it was in a good condition, but didn't seem to change in an obvious way.

Scent was very pleasant. Had no real expectations in this department, but what I found was something quite fresh with a hint of floral to it. I'm not a lover of floral so this side of things wasn't strong at all, and found it a nice change to my current face product. After application I couldn't really smell the scent nearby which if I'm honest is a good thing. A faint hint I could get and this was short term,but for me I don't want to still get the fragrance of a face cream for long periods of time as it can be very distracting, not great when you're trying to concentrate on other smells, or better still if your other senses are out of whack e.g hayfever, flu, cold or allergies etc.

My main concern over using this product was how hydrated my skin would feel. When it comes to the textures of a face cream, specific ones are more suited for skins that need more moisture added and although gels can do this, they aren't the most hydrating in my experience...or at least on their own. But what I did find was after application my skin didn't feel dry which as a massive bonus, as I did expect that. It felt hydrated to a decent level and I wasn't left with an uncomfortable or odd feeling on the skin. So my face didn't look or feel dry. Next day after application, as I had applied this before I went to bed, skin felt and appeared fine. No dry patches and didn't feel tight at all.

Although I am a psoriasis sufferer, thankfully it's not something that affects my face although can my neck and overall it's controlled reasonably well. This product which is marketed as being ideal for sensitive skin, didn't irritate my face or neck in anyway shape or form, which is a massive plus point.

The sample I received I managed to get two applications out of it, so I couldn't use this and experiment with this the way that I would if this came in its normal size. But as I didn't need to use much on both occasions, I used the reminder by rubbing it into the backs of my hands and palms. As I handcream, I have to say I really liked this! Like the face, this provides softness to the hands but without the shine and leaves them matt. This meant straight after application I could carry on with my everyday chores without worrying if my hands would be slippy. So to say I got my monies worth out of one little sachet is a slight understatement.

Negatives?

I wouldn't describe this as a negative as such as the product itself I think is actually quite a good one. But if anyone is like me when it comes to their face creams, and they like rich and quite thick textures that provide protection to the skin and a massive burst of moisture, this might not be for you. I like gels, but within a routine of layering most of the time. On their own I feel as if I'm lacking something. This product surprised me but for my skin type I would need something to provide me with more moisture as my skin needs it, and personal preference wise a different texture. And due to the texture of this, if it's not used in a layering way, if I did use this I would be more inclined to use in the morning and not the evening. Bedtime is the best time to use something that will nourish the skin while you sleep, and you don't have to worry about the negatives of using a rich moisturiser e.g shine. This is probably why night creams on the whole are slightly thicker in consistency. So you might need something else for night use rather than use this twice daily.

Who is this good for?

Despite my likes and dislikes I can see this being one I would use when the seasons change. Ideal one where your skin becomes naturally more oily e.g summer time, and you need something that won't add to that and help to even out a shiny look on the skin. Summer traditionally is a time we opt for lighter textures in products, so this would be perfect.

Men. I know they have their own skincare ranges out there, but this could be a good one for them if they don't have specific skin concerns and want to use something that won't stick to facial hair, easy and quick to apply and to absorb and doesn't have a strong scent to it and isn't too specific.

Young people. Oh how I wish I had the skin of my 16 year old former self! They rarely have issues that are as complex the same way we do when you hit certain ages e.g lines, wrinkles, redness, skin discolouration. Don't get me wrong, young skin isn't always perfect but on the whole more forgiving. Typical teenage issues will be spots or acne, and if they used this I doubt it would make it worse. So if a young person had normal skin with no issues, this could be a great product which doesn't break the bank, provides enough moisture and easy and quick to use.

Ladies who wear make up. I don't normally, but I've recently started to dabble in the world of primers and foundations. Totally alien arena for me so not knowledgeable about this type of thing at all. What I did have within a recently bought kit was a primer. To soothe and smooth the skin ready to apply the relevant make up products on top, so very much preparing the skin. This product reminds me very much like the primer I used in my kit and seems to do the same thing e.g smooths and balances the skin in regards to keeping it matt. It's as if it neutralisers the skin. I'm not too sure how much primers are I don't really buy them or keep an eye on them as a product. But I can imagine like many face care products there will be various price points, but if this was used in that type of fashion I can't see it breaking the bank, plus you really wouldn't need much so would provide good value.

Layering. I've mentioned this already but I have to admit I am a sucker for layering. The whole idea of layering is tailor making your own personal routine. A standard routine would be cleanse the skin and pop a moisturiser on. Layering would be adding products onto the skin in a specific order to ensure maximum effect, so as an example....Cleansed skin, serum, balm then moisturiser. Or could be gel then moisturiser. This I find means if your skin needs more hydration, adding layers can help with that rather than buying a specifically new product, or to address another concern and slit it into your daily routine e.g lines and wrinkles, throw in a serum. This would make a great product to this with and could really ramp up a flagging skincare routine.

Would I buy this myself?

Not sure to be honest. And again this is nothing against the product itself. Gels I like to put on under a cream, similar to a serum. And I suspect I'm more likely to opt for an actual serum rather than this. So my decision not to buy is down to my routines and likes and dislikes. It as a lighter texture face product and it's is a lovely one, which appears to be of a good quality and would make a great addition for many people's bathroom.

• IzzyS published 02/06/2017