New Jersey - Bon Jovi

New Jersey - Bon Jovi

Hard Rock - StudioRecording - 1 CD(s) - Label: Mercury, Jambco - Distributor: Universal Music - Released: 04/09/2000 - 731453802421

Review of "New Jersey - Bon Jovi"

published 14/03/2001 | Belfastgirl
Member since : 10/03/2001
Pro see text
Cons not like their new stuff therefore meaning it might not appeal to some
Originality
Quality and consistency of tracks
Cover / Inlay Design and Content
Lyrics
How does it compare to the artist's other releases

"Better than good"

New Jersey, aptly named after the state that the Bon Jovi boys originate from, included what has to be said are the best Bon Jovi songs ever. Such a mixture, like you have never heard before, put together on one album.

Lay your hands on me:-

This is the one that Jon goes into the crowd with at all concerts - with all his fans begging him to "lay his hands on" - even just touch a finger tip! An amazing song, wrote in a religious slant, church organs playing in the background, huge drums played in the intro. and not forgetting Richie Sambora’s magical guitar playing.

Bad Medicine :-

This song is a little similar to Lay your hands on me, it has a wonderful "sing along" feel to it.

Born to be my baby :-
Arguably the best song ever written by Bon Jovi, from the "2,3,4…" at the beginning to the brilliant chorus. It’s such a positive song, basically saying that regardless of what the world throws at us, we’ll be strong because we were meant to be together. "You were born to be my baby, baby I was made to be your man," Personally, I love this one, its one that you can’t help getting caught up in, and nah nah nahing along!

Living In Sin :-

Asks the question why do people need to get married to say that they love each other? Yet another one that you find yourself singing along to , a slow song initially, and then speeds up in the chorus.

Blood on Blood :-

A very important song to Jon - it is about his childhood.
The song tells the story of Jon and his two "Blood Brothers", Danny and Bobby…

"There was me and Dan and Bobby,
we cut each other’s hands,
and held tight to a promise,
only brothers understand."

It’s all about what they shared as kids, and the song ends with Jon telling us that despite the fact that they have all gone their separate ways, when all is said and done - if they ever needed each other they’d be there.
I love this song. I have been told that they very rarely song this song live and feel privileged to have had the experience of hearing it first hand.

Homebound Train :-

It’s here that we kick off into cowboy style, "Have we any cowboy’s in the house tonight? This one’s for you!" OK! YES! I know that this is Jon’s standard intro. to the amazing "Wanted - Dead or Alive", but it emphasises how big Jon is into cowboy stuff!
Home bound train has all the sounds of the Wild West, the old steam train chugging along, with some heavy drums in the background - seriously addictive once you have got used to it!

Wild is the wind:-

Has a little bit of "Born to be my baby" about it, in that it is upbeat, but not "heavy", I like this one, what you might call a typical Bon Jovi Ballad.

Ride Cowboy Ride:-

Has that Vinyl record sound to it, wonderfully different and leads right into the next song.

Stick to your Guns:-

Again, continuing on that old cowboy theme, any girls reading this, sit back and close your eyes and think of Jon in that cowboy hat J

I’ll be there for you:-

Many people wrongly think that this song was written by Jon for Dorothea (his childhood sweetheart, who is now his wife and mother to his two children) It actually mentions
"Remember at the prom that night,
You and me, we had a fight"
Jon did not go to the Prom as he had a gig on that night, so instead it was Richie that wrote it and it really seems to sum up what it is like to be young, experimenting and in love. A slow ballad, very romantic.

99 in the shade :-

It’s here that we meet Tommy and Gina again of "Livin’ on a prayer" and more recently "It’s my life" fame. A very upbeat song.

Love for sale :-

Just a mess about song, sounds like they had a great time making this album, and a wonderful way to round off a brilliant album.

All in all, I think this is a wonderful album, though being a Bon Jovi fan, I may be perceived as being somewhat biased!

It’s definitely worth a listen to!

If you are interested in Bon Jovi’s other work, I have also reviewed the "Crush" album, which you can see in my profile.

• ManUtdBoi published 11/08/2004
    great review. I actually bought this after reading your review - so thanks !
  • blurbubble published 28/03/2001
    Oooh! I have to admit I have a soft spot for Bon Jovi (the man AND the band!) too! My personal favourite is "Slippery when Wet" though :o) Great op, thanks.
  • starry published 28/03/2001
    Coincidence or what - after a massive clear out I just came across this album and my Slippery one (yep, vinyl!) from years and years ago that I pinched from my cousin who decided that Bon Jovi had gone soft. He never got them back and they became my most played records for quite a few years. Totally agree with you about "Born to be my baby" as this is one of my favs along with "You give love a bad name" from Slippery. Excellent review, thanks :-)

offers "New Jersey - Bon Jovi"