New Jersey - Bon Jovi

New Jersey - Bon Jovi

Hard Rock - StudioRecording - 1 CD(s) - Label: Mercury, Jambco - Distributor: Universal Music - Released: 04/09/2000 - 731453802421

Review of "New Jersey - Bon Jovi"

published 12/08/2004 | ManUtdBoi
Member since : 30/11/-0001
Pro great album from a great band
Cons couple of poor songs
Originality
Quality and consistency of tracks
Cover / Inlay Design and Content
Lyrics
How does it compare to the artist's other releases

"Bon Jovi - New Jersey"

bon jovi live

bon jovi live

This is the third Bon Jovi album that I have bought, following my purchases of 'Crossroad' and 'Keep The Faith' and I honestly believe this to be the best. Not to say that the others are not good, in fact they are great, but I believe this to be quite incredible.

I've really lost count of the number of people that i've seen completely discard Bon Jovi because they are classed as 'hair metal' which instantly seems to put off alot of people. For me, music isn't about the image, it is believe it or not, about the MUSIC.

The reason that I would pick this over 'Crossroad' is simply because there are a couple of glaring omissions from the greatest hits, both of which are found on 'New Jersey'.
Those omissions are 'Born To Be My Baby', which is my all-time favourite Bon Jovi song, and 'Blood on Blood' which I believe to be another great.

There is a large western feel to his album, with songs like -

Wild Is The Wind
Ride Cowboy Ride
Stick To Your Guns

These three songs fill the mid-section of the album and therefore completely change the tempo of the album that the first five tracks give us. The first five tracks (including the two I mentioned previously) give you feeling of actually being at a Bon Jovi gig, and you feel like singing along to every word. Then the album suddenly goes into a western feel due to the three tracks mentioned and does show a great diversity to Bon Jovi's music and takes them away from the one-trick pony comments that have been thrown their way over the years.

After these three songs the flow completely changes again as we arrive at 'I'll Be There For You', a fantastic ballad that could easily bring a tear to the eye. That is followed by '99 In The Shade', which is another stadia rock effort that makes you feel like you really are listening to Bon Jovi at their best. The variation offered throughout the record is very welcome but deep down inside Bon Jovi at their best is when they are pumping out stonking rock tunes that would grace any arena in the world.

Tracklisting

9. Stick To Your Guns
10. I'll Be There For You
11. 99 In The Shade
12. Love For Sale
13 Enhanced CD Video (Lay Your Hands On Me)

The version that I have is the remastered version that was recently brought out (along with the rest of the Jovi back-catalogue) and this version includes a bonus video of 'Lay Your Hands On Me' which is welcome as an ending for the album.

All in all, if you are a Bon Jovi fan, then you probably already own this. If you aren't and you are looking for a good classic rock album, then you could do much worse than purchase a copy of 'New Jersey'

Thanks for reading

(constructive criticism welcome)

• satriales published 07/10/2004
    I love this album especially 'Stick To Your Guns'. I would also recommend the 'These Days' album and 'Slippery When Wet'. Good Review
  • bistro published 04/09/2004
    I must listen to this some time, it sounds good. Mandy.xx
  • lazuli77 published 01/09/2004
    This is one of my favourite..if not THE FAVOURITE album by Bon Jovi. I so wish they had continued to rock like this. Still love 'em...always will, even if they start playing polka...(hmmmm)....good review. Susana

offers "New Jersey - Bon Jovi"