Cafe - Address: Erzsébet krt. 9-11, 1073

Review of "New York Cafe, Budapest"

published 14/12/2016 | pinotprincess
Member since : 17/08/2014
Is anyone else suffering from pop up overload on here? Adverts are driving me mad.
Satisfactory
Pro Photography heaven , beautiful building, culture.
Cons Food is expensive, not high quality, slow service and rude staff.
Standard of Menu

******** New York Café *******

Budapest

1073 Budapest,

Erzsébet krt. 9-11

In October this year, my partner planned a surprise trip for me to go to Budapest, Hungary. We had four days there in which we covered most of the attractions, one of them being an afternoon tea at the elegant New York Café.

My other half researched the café prior to us leaving and the website and reviews were outstanding, so we had to go and find out for ourselves.

****** WHERE IS IT SITUATED? *******

It is part of a hotel, built in 1827 and situated in the Jewish corner of Budapest. It literally is in the town centre though we did walk past it a few times.

The Big Red Bus (tourist bus) drops you off a few streets away and it’s about 10 minutes’ walk.

If you’re driving parking is a nightmare but taxis will drop you outside. The cab’s aren’t as cheap as using the tourist bus and without going into another review, big red bus for a one off ticket price does take you around to all the main attractions, literally you hop on and hop off.
The outside is connected to a top class hotel complete with concierge for those that require such help but it has a different entrance.

We asked a taxi driver the way in and like most of the people we met in Hungary, not the most helpful. We eventually realised that the smaller public entrance is next door to the hotel foyer.

***** FIRST THOUGHTS *******

You have to wait to be seated and upon entering the reception lobby, we were lucky that it wasn’t too busy. The café and its features took my breath away. Totally stunning and I thought I was at the Ritz, nothing like a “café”.

Stepping inside the New York Café means taking a step back in time, pure magnificence and sophistication, you realise how it gained its name as the “most beautiful café in the world”.

The maître D was quite fast and we weren’t kept waiting for long until he showed us to a table down an uneven flight of stairs with no hand rail.

Instantly we were given a menu and he was polite and chatty telling us he would send someone over to take our drinks order first then our food. Napkins were provided but fortunately he didn’t unwrap it and place across my lap in case I missed my mouth.

One of my pet hates at a restaurant thought I know its politeness and etiquette, but I just feel like a toddler waiting to dribble.

While we sat at our table (admittedly it was small for a couple), I sat in awe of the beautiful surroundings, the architecture and the amazing ceiling. It reminded me of the Cysteine chapel, breath-taking.

I could hear what I thought was a string quartet and grand piano playing in the far corner, it was all very relaxed but not so loud you couldn’t hear each other speak.
There has always been live music but now they have added gypsy music on the top floor. Previously it was only periodical entertainment but since the beginning of September, the musicians play between 11 a.m. and 5 p.m. – for fifteen minutes each hour.

**** FOOD, SERVICE AND HYGEINE *****

I cannot fault the cleanliness of the place; tables were cleared as soon as the customer left.

The cutlery was pristine and polished just like the staff and the uniforms. However service is slow, very slow.

Eventually the waiter returned to us and we ordered two hot chocolates and a small selection of cakes to share at 14 Euros. The cakes were tiny, one bite only and not enough for two to share. . The prices are far from average and these were the cheapest items we could see.

The prices are in Hungarian Florent or Euro’s, no sterling so be prepared to convert into pounds. Drinks are just under 10 euro’s each.

Hungary prices for food is reasonable but the Café is quite steep in comparison. The night before we ate at a buffet restaurant in an underground cavern and that was 9 euros each for unlimited food; here we were paying that for a drink. Quite a comparison.

I was admiring the food on the table adjacent to us but seeing the prices I opted for cheesecake. Not many people were have a full lunch, most seemed to have tea or cake and just taking in the splendour of the décor.

Prices vary depending on what you want. For example a starter consisting of marinated salmon with citrus mayonnaise and radish is 14 euros each.
A champagne tea for two with a glass of bubbly and a selection of small cakes and sandwiches will set you back £50 or 60 Euros.
Hot chocolate and other beverages are around 9 euros each.

Half an hour later my partner asked where our order was to another waiter and after 40 minutes since we sat down it arrived.

The hot chocolate was nothing special, same glass as you would get from Costa and no cream, just a flake on the side. It wasn’t even hot, just warm and the taste was powdery, reminded me of a low calorie options hot chocolate. It was quite bland and left a residue and after taste in your mouth. They give you water alongside your drink and now I understand why, it’s to refresh your mouth. The water was more enjoyable.

***** WHEELCHAIR ACCESS******

The café has many sections, all connected by stairs. The main entrance is on one level so wheelchair access would be more suitable here. I never saw any ramps but could be wrong.

***** RESERVATIONS *****

There is a reservation system online but most of the time it’s a first come first served basis due to the constant flow of customers.

*****TOILETS *******
The toilets are just as beautiful but not as clean as I expected. They were tucked away in the corner on the lower section. A baby changing unit is also downstairs.

******PAYING******
It takes ages to get your bill but eventually it was brought over, you can pay by local currency, Euro’s and credit card which there is a surcharge.
UK sterling like most of Hungary is not widely welcomed as a form of payment.

****YOUNG CHILDREN *****
Personally I would say it is not the place for young babies or toddlers, though I didn’t see any age restrictions but I certainly didn’t see any high chairs readily available.

****CONCLUSION ****

If you are a tourist and have spare time, then it’s worth the experience but do not go out of your way to visit.

The architecture is of course stunning and incredible beautiful but I am reviewing the cafe and not the location. The cafe is full of rude staff that are not in the mood to serve you and the food mediocre.

It’s a photographers dream and a selfie’s idea of Instagram heaven... I was laughing at some of the customers posing on the top balcony that look down at the tables below, oblivious to the diners looking up at them. .

Don’t expect a warm welcome. Not every single member of staff is friendly. Some of them are smiling, but definitely not from their heart which unfortunately I found to be the case with the majority of the locals in Budapest.

Worth a visit once to check out the beautiful interior but don’t expect 5 **** food just 5**** prices.

Waiters were slow to seat us, slow to bring out menus, slow to bring our drinks and unwilling to bring the bill - we had to ask for it several times. I was tempted to get up and walk out to see the reaction.

***** CONTACT DETAILS: *****
NewYorkCafé
1073 Budapest, Erzsébet krt. 9-11.
Opening Hours: 09.00-24.00