Review of "Newcastle Brown Ale"

published 09/01/2002 | daseaford
Member since : 04/10/2000
Pro Clean Smooth Taste.
Cons None

"Like an Old Friend."

About twenty years ago I spent a fair amount of time in and around Newcastle upon Tyne. At that time the most logical beer to drink was of course Newcastle Brown.

When you go into a pub you do not know, you are never quite sure what the quality of the draught beer is likely to be as this so often depends on the way the landlord looks after the pipes etc. I therefore got into the habit of drinking Newcastle Brown, which comes in its very familiar one pint bottles. Of course at that time nobody drank from a bottle and I must admit I still do not like drinking from bottles.

At first I found it really strange that the barman would only ever pour out half a glass and then give me the glass and the bottle. It was only later that I actually read the label on the bottle where it informs you that to fully enjoy Newcastle Brown then this is how it should be served.

A later addition to the label is the temperature sensitive blue star. Newcastle Brown is definitely better drank cold so at twelve degrees C the star starts to turn blue.

For a while I stopped drinking Newcastle Brown and even now when I go out I drink Fosters Lager (See my opinion), but for drinking at home it is now nearly always Newcastle Brown.

Although you can taste the hops in the drink it is not a very bitter taste, but a smooth taste that is not too gassy. The taste of the malt lingers in the mouth and overall makes this a very refreshing drink.

I like to sit down after a meal and have a pint of Newcastle Brown to gently drink as the meal digests. This is normally followed by a short nap.

Newcastle Brown is a drink that most people will have tried at some time and some people may never drink again. If you enjoy drinking a lot of beer then this is probably not the drink for you, but for the odd one or two pints then I really enjoy it.

If it is some time since you last tried Newcastle Brown then pick some up next time you in the supermarket, pop them in the fridge for a couple of hours and then enjoy a good pint. It is about £1.80 a bottle and worth every penny. If you have any visitors you will not find many people who will turn down a bottle of this golden nectar.

This review was read 2032 times and was rated at

• GillyPooh78 published 01/05/2003
    Must admit, like it much better than fosters. nice review also
  • ChigwellChick published 09/01/2002
    Interesting op. Although not a beer drinker, I love shandy made with a good brown ale. You have reminded me how much I like it. Might go out and get a bottle or two later. Thanks. Jackie.
  • yukkibear published 09/01/2002
    Great op. Can't stand them myself though.