American Restaurant - Address: 288 King St, Charleston, SC 29401

Review of "Nick's Original BBQ, Charleston"

published 03/05/2017 | catsholiday
Member since : 03/03/2003
Thank you anyone who is kind enough to read then rate my reviews, especially those Es.
Pro Good tasty freshly cooked BBQ food
Cons Not so keen on ordering food then sitting
Standard of Menu
Atmosphere
Standard of Service
Cleanliness

"Nicks' BBQ in Charleston - order then find a table"

Loved the "OINK" sign

Loved the "OINK" sign

288 King St,Charleston,SC 29401-1409

Last year we did a self drive tour of the Southern states of the USA and we began our tour in Charleston. We always do a lot of research before we go and had a list of things we wanted to do and had a great B&B within waking distance of a number of eateries and shops including this restaurant which looked interesting as we walked by.

Apparently this is #49 or 674 restaurants in Charleston. We very rarely go for the tp ones as thy are often expensive and places where a dress code is required. We didn't check this before going , we chose it as it looked busy and had a nice atmosphere and was close to out B&B.

I discovered when looking for the actual address that this place has been forced to close as their 200 year old building was staring to collapse and was dangerous. Thy are looking for another venue in town but are also opening a new one in Mount Pleasant nearby.

*&*&*&*& ::: WELCOME ::: *&*&*&*

The place was buzzing and there were not many tables left when we went and we were quite early in the evening.

We were welcomed and had the system explained to us. You have to order your meal then find a table when a waiter would come and get your drinks order and later your food would arrive. Jut as well as it wasn't obvious what you had to do.

*&*&*&*& ::: ORDERING THE FOOD ::: *&*&*&*

We needed help with this too as we were not sure what size the meals were as sometimes meals in the States are HUGE.

W decided to order a combo to share. We then had t choose whether to have 2 meats, three meats or four meats. We opted for two the pulled pork and pork hot links. The options included :Classic Pulled Pork, Carolina-style Pork, Smoked Chicken, Turkey Breast, Pork Hot Links, Beef Brisket (add 1.00), or Ribs (add 2.25)
This came with 2 scratch-made trimmings which again we had to choose. It was becoming quite a task all these decisions but luckily there was no queue behind us.

The trimmings included a choice from : Homemade Bar-B-Q ChipsGF, Baked beansGF, ColeslawGF, Fresh FruitGF, Hand-Cut FriesGF, Mac & Cheese, Mashed PotatoesGF, Potato SaladGF, Slow-Cooked CollardsGF, fried green tomatoes or for 2.00 extra you could have Baked PotatoGF, Onion Rings or house Salad. The GF is for items that were gluten free. We chose the BBQ chips and fried green tomatoes.

This meal choice cost: 2 Meats $18.00, 3 Meats $20.00 and 4 Meats $22.00 which pre Brexit was quite reasonable but is now a bit less so as the £ is not great and a $ is around 80 p now!!

We then had to make further decisions about drinks. There was a pretty comprehensive bar but to save stress we ordered two local beers. I had made enough decisions by then!!

*&*&*&*& ::: FIND A TABLE ::: *&*&*&*

I did say it was quite busy so options were limited and we ended up at a high table on chairs I had climb onto , The drinks came quite quickly and the waiter introduced himself as they do in the USA.

We had to wait about ten minutes for our food which was about average and it was really piping hot. It came on a paper in a kind of metal baking tray with a couple of hot corn muffins/ bicuits ( American style).

The food was good, it was fast food style but freshly cooked BBQ style. It was tasty and we enjoyed it. Had my husband been really hungry this would have been his alone but we were not that hungry and it did satisfy us both, even though I don't think I got my full half share!!

We were not rushed and the waiter came over twice to ask if we would like another drink and to check all was well and then and when we finished to ask if we wanted to see the dessert menu. The dessert menu was not vast and offered just a banana pudding for $3.75 and a selection of pies — Pecan, Chocolate, Coconut Cream, Lemon and Peanut Butter — are made fresh in store daily – a slice $3.75 and if there are enough of you then a whole Pie is $19.00

The menu also had a food allergens list and listed which meals had which possible allergens from gluten to shell fish through milk, soy, peanuts, corn, wheat, fish, eggs and tree nuts.

The range of choices was quite large considering this was basically a BBQ place. They offered small plates, burger buns filled with different meats, larger plates with whichever trimmings you choose. Yo could pick and mix any number of the menu items to suit your needs.

Our meal came to about $35 including the drinks but then being the States you have to add 12% to 15% as a tip!!

*&*&*&*& ::: ATMOSPHERE AND MORE ::: *&*&*&*

The atmosphere was buzzing. There were a lot of younger people and it was quite loud. The music was good though , a lot of songs from the 60/70s and pleasant to listen to without being so loud that we had to shout at each other.

I would say this was a family and younger people place and not somewhere you would go for quiet romantic meal. It suited us that night and the food was good but I was not so great that we went back the next night as the food was all a bit too similar and we fancied a change.

We both paid a visit to the loos and they were clean. I cannot remember if there was a disabled one and in fact the whole restaurant would have been quite challenging to get around in a wheel chair but doubtless it was possible.

*&*&*&*& ::: RECOMMENDED? ::: *&*&*&*

Yes this is a good value choice for a BBQ meal. The meats were tasty and well cooked while the sides were hot and freshly cooked. The corn muffin/biscuits were light and freshly baked and delicious with butter.

Service was friendly and efficient and the drinks not silly prices either. I was less keen on ordering at the till then fining a table as I prefer to look at a menu and get the chance to think about what I want ad it felt pressured at the till

I hope they get their building repaired or find a new venue in Charleston but meanwhile the Mount Pleasant one is open.

Thanks for reading