Nicorette Freshmint Gum

Nicorette Freshmint Gum

Review of "Nicorette Freshmint Gum"

published 11/02/2012 | katykicker
Member since : 11/12/2005
Back writing & RATING! If you would like to be added to my COT please do let me know :) No need to thank me for E's unless you fancy a chat :)
Pro Easy to chew, stop me craving cigarettes so they do work.
Cons Very strong even with the 2mg ones.
Effectiveness
Length of Use
Side effects

"I cut down & eventually stopped smoking with the help of these!"

I gave up smoking last year and I used several aids to help me including an inhalator, patches and this Nicorette gum. When I first purchased the gum I bought the smallest packet on the Boots website. 105 pieces for around £12.50 (now £12.99) and I was not worried about not using them all up as I had already tried about 5 or 6 pieces that I received from my sister to see if I wanted to use these in the future.

When tackling giving up smoking the last and final time I did it (with success!) I decided that I would cut down gradually and I used the inhalator and gum to help with this. I then switched to the patches when I was ready to try and stop completely.

The gum is nothing special to look at. Each piece is similar in appearance to any other gum and it has a sugar free coating, like many other gums. The difference with this gum is that it has 2mg of nicotine contained within. This gives the gum a rather fierce almost foul taste which increases the longer you chew the gum for. The gum has a minty taste to it but this is soon overpowered by the taste of stale tobacco and cigarettes. The recommended way to use this gum is to chew it for a few moments and then once it tastes very strong you can simply place the gum in the side of your cheek where the nicotine will be released. The flavour will get lighter and then this can be chewed for up to 30 minutes before the nicotine will have been completely released.

I never used the stronger ones available and was using the 2mg ones from the beginning. I found these to be very strong and I only used these when the Nicorette inhalator was not doing enough for my cravings. I found the flavouring on this gum to be quite overpowering but it did help with my cravings and actively helped me to cut down the amount of cigarettes that I smoked.

Apparently an average smoker will use from 8 to 12 pieces of this a day but I probably used just 2 or 3 most days, sometimes less because I was using the inhalator too. This meant that the price of these was not restrictive, particularly not compared to buying cigarettes and smoking 15 a day still.

I did find that this gum helped with my cravings probably just because it tasted so foul and stopped me from wanting anything let alone a cigarette. The gum kept the strong flavour for quite a while so my mouth was kept busy chewing for ages. When I had to hold the gum in my cheek I found that this was a little uncomfortable at times. I would definitely recommend this gum for people wanting to give up smoking but do not expect this to be a pleasant tasting gum!

• catsholiday published 12/02/2012
    Well done you!
  • jjcross published 11/02/2012
    Congratulation's for giving up!
  • Secre published 11/02/2012
    Oddly the losenges actually taste quite pleasant. Lissy

offers "Nicorette Freshmint Gum"