Nintendo 3DS

Nintendo 3DS

Portable Console - Media Format: Cartridge - Controller Slots: 1 - Release Year: 2011

Review of "Nintendo 3DS"

published 13/03/2012 | Rache3012
Member since : 20/02/2012
Pro All the favourites in 3D!
Cons 0.3 megapixel camera
Graphics capability
Range of Extra Features (I.e. email)
Manufacturer Support
Instruction manual

"Nintendo 3DS, Gaming of the future"

I wasn't sure about the Nintendo 3DS to start with. The TV advertisements didn't really give much away in terms of how it worked or what it looked like, as I guess it's pretty much impossible to portray 3D on a 2D screen. It was enough to get me interested though.

I went down to one of the major games retailers and asked if they had any available to try, and luckily they did. I must admit, it wasn't what I expected. It was better. The technology that Nintendo have produced is amazing. Unlike what you see in a 3D film, the images appear to go inwards, rather than jump out of the screen. It gives you the feeling that you could put your hands right into the game. I was hooked!

As I already owned a DS, I took the opportunity to trade this in for a new 3DS, I did end up paying the release price as I got it a couple of weeks after its release, only to find out that a month later the price had decreased dramatically. Nintendo did try to make up for it though by launching the Ambassador Programme which allowed all people who registered for this before a certain date to gain access to 20 free game downloads from the eShop. A nice gesture, but as the games were from the era of the Gameboy etc., I think I would have preferred a voucher or something for one of the new 3DS games.
After now having owned it for a good few months, here are my thoughts...

Looks:
As far as I know, the 3DS comes in 4 colours - Aqua Blue, Red, Black and Pink. There is also a limited edition Legend of Zelda console as well. I personally preferred the Aqua Blue. It has a high gloss finish (as do the red and black), and doesn't look as "plasticy" as the old DS lite version. It's still small and compact, as they always have been.

New Features:
Nintendo have finally managed to incorporate an analogue control by means of the "Circle Pad" into the DS. I personally think this gives the game characters a lot more freedom. Instead of going up, down, left or right, you can send them round in circles if you so wish! It still has the conventional directional buttons so you are free to choose your desired method of playing. The motion sensor is also a great feature, I have been playing the Ocarina of Time and the fact that you can tilt the console in any direction to see your surroundings is a great little trick. The home button is a great addition, as you can go back to your home screen without actually exiting the game and then carry on playing when you are ready.

Camera:
The camera also supports 3D, so you can take pictures of your mates and have them show up in a 3D image! With camera on both the inside and out, it is just as easy to take pictures of yourself also. It's not a great camera as it's only 0.3 mega pixels, but its good for a bit of fun.

Games:
All Nintendo DS games are compatible with the 3DS, but Nintendo have released quite a few that are now only available on the 3DS. This was one of the reasons for upgrading. With great titles such as Mario Kart 7, Mario 3D land, and The Legend of Zelda - Ocarina of time, you will never be bored. I understand that a lot of these game will never be released on the standard DS, and I am certain that they are not compatible with the standard DS either, as they have made the game cartridges a slightly different shape.

Storage:
The 3DS comes with 2GB of internal storage, which is plenty. All game data is stored on the cartridge as it always has been, and so the internal storage is purely for eShop downloads and photo's. It does have an additional SD card reader for anyone that needs it.

Playablility:
The 3DS is comfortable to hold, and all buttons are within easy reach. I do find however that using the L and R buttons at the top of the console a lot (i.e. when playing Mario Kart) can make my hands start to ache a little. The analogue stick although a good feature could do with more grip, I find that when playing games like Mario Kart (I think you can guess, this is my favourite!), as it is being used constantly, it can sometimes slip.

And Finally...

3D:
As I stated earlier, it is pretty amazing. The game draws you in and everything all feels somewhat bigger. Being on a small screen, it needs to be used to its full potential, and by creating the 3D version, Nintendo have definitely utilised the screen space. You do have to be in a certain position to be able to see the 3D effect perfectly, or it can become to feel like you are going cross eyed! I would also advise that this isn't suitable for anyone younger than 8 as even I feel myself having to turn it off after an hour or so when I feel my head starting to spin, so who knows what damage this may cause to young eyes. You can however carry on playing in 2D mode as there is a slide bar on the side of the console that lets you turn the 3D down or completely off.

Verdict:
The 3DS is definitely the way to go if you are looking to get yourself a hand held console. With the range of games and the sheer brilliance of the 3D effect, it's a no brainer for me!

(This review is also on Doyoo)

• trayrope published 13/03/2012
    Excellent first review :-)
  • Nar2 published 13/03/2012
    Good review. As the owner of the DSi, and now on my second. They're good consoles but I find they don't stand up to serious gameplay.
  • Spottydog11 published 13/03/2012
    Hi, good review, welcome to Ciao x

offers "Nintendo 3DS"