Nissan Primera 1.8 16v Saloon

Nissan present the Primera 1.8 16v S 5dr Hatchback with 5 Speed - (Man) / 4 Speed - (Auto), Front (FWD) running on Unleaded Petrol

Review of "Nissan Primera 1.8 16v Saloon"

published 13/06/2011 | Angela150
Member since : 11/11/2009
Hello :)
Pro Spacious, less maintenance, road clearance
Cons Hard to get good view in back mirror when reversing around corners
Road Handling
Features
Fuel consumption

"The Nissan Primera :)"

Introduction

I don't personally drive the Nissan Primera, my husband does! So this review is mainly written from a front seat passenger perspective! I have asked my husband several questions about the Nissan Primera and have tried to add some technical opinions and findings of the Nissan Primera. I brought the Nissan Primera (2006 registration, 1.8L, Manual, with 5 seats) from a used car show room called Glynn Hopkin Nissan in Leyton (London). Glynn Hopkin sells approved used cars and the branch in Leyton, specifically sells used Nissan Cars. The car was second hand and was brought in September 2008. The car only had one previous owner and the car was first issued in Essex. The car was in brand new condition and looks very classy. If you look at the pictures attached to this review, you can see pictures of the external part of the car. The Nissan Primera is definitely a car that is suited for families because of the spacious seating and leg room and big boot space. The Nissan Primera's are now unfortunately out of production and I was told this when buying it from Glynn Hopkins, however I really loved the style of the car and so went ahead and brought it.

The seats are comfortable and it is made of comfortable carpet type upholstery material. The seat upholstery is dark grey and is easy to clean with the help of upholstery cleaning materials that you can get on the market. The front and back seats are very spacious and there is lots and lots of leg room. I have my daughter's car seat attached to the car as well and the child car seat fits easily and spaciously into the Nissan Primera Car seat. My husband has also said that the car is very comfortable to drive and that the steering wheel height is adjustable.

Looks

The shade of the car we brought is navy blue and the car looks classy. The back of the car has red lights and this blends in well with the navy blue colour of our Nissan Primera. The outside body of the car has an excellent aerodynamic shape to it. I personally think the inside of the car looks more handsome than the outside. The dashboards at the front of the car look marvellous and it is easy to clean with a damp cloth. My main motivation for buying the Nissan Primera is that I really long cars as opposed to smaller cars like the Ford Fiesta. However, after having this car for two years now, I have gone back to loving the smaller cars! I still like both though as I think the Nissan Primera is a good family car and smaller cars like the Ford Fiesta and Fiat are probably better for couples without very small children as no one else can fit after

The car is good value for money. I paid £8000 for the Nissan Primera (2006 registration) in September 2008 with the help of my hard work and dad's contribution as I didn't have enough to buy it at the time! The mileage of the car was 10500 miles when we brought it. The mileage has now reached roughly 18000 miles.

Features

The car has five spacious seats. The car has power windows which are easily moved up and down by the power buttons, a built in sat nav which can be activated (if it is a special edition) and this also includes the camera which helps reverse around corners. Unfortunately, the car I have, is not the special edition and it did not include this option. My friend's Nissan Primera car had the camera included as it was a special edition and this feature is quite handy as my husband has said, it is quite hard to see back corners through the side mirror alone without the use of the camera and requires a second pair of eyes! The 5 gear box is very durable. The rear seats can be folded over so that you can carry back large items. We have only ever folded the seats back once and this was on a trip back from Ikea carrying my daughter's pink wardrobe! Its is easy to fold over the seats of the car by pressing a release button and pushing over the seats. It definitely one of the best fold over seats that I have seen. On the top left and top right side of the car wall of the driver seat and front passenger seat (ear-level), there are storage compartment for sunglasses! In between the front car seat and driver seat, there is also a storage compartment for CD's and another miscellaneous compartment in which you can store anything you like! There is also a slot where I can securely store my daughter's milk bottle and this is very convenient! The back of the car seat has a net compartment where you can store light items like face wipes or a newspaper. The Nissan Primera also has convenience hooks! The boot of the car is very spacious and you can fit about 12 very full shopping bags in there (trust me I have tried it)!! The car audio system is excellent. The speakers give out excellent sound quality and bass. There is a CD player and radio (LW-MW-FM) which is in perfect condition. One useful aspect of the audio system is the traffic announcement button which stops the CD you are listening to and announces the traffic updates! You can also preset your favourite radio stations. The wheel caps that are on the Nissan Primera ar beautiful and make the car look even more stunning. Sadly, the wheel caps were stolen one by one and we have now replaced them with cheapers one from the local garage. The key of the Nissan Primera has a remote control system which has lock and unlock buttons and this is fairly easy to operate just like any other car key. The integrated key fob can be used 5 metres or 15 feet away from the car. The key fob is battery operated and ours has not run out yet after three years. The battery recommended for the Nissan Car Key is Sanyo CR2016. The Nissan Primera is made in Japan.

Fuel Consumption and Road Handling

The fuel consumption is quick and it uses up much more petrol than smaller cars. My husband has said that the Nissan Primera is very easy to drive and the car is very good on the road. He has said that the steering is smooth. The Nissan Primera is very reliable and rarely stalls.Until now ( June 2011), all MOT'S have been clear and the car has never needed any major repairs (touch wood that this continues!). The tyres is 16 inches and it gives good grip on the road.

Conclusion

I am very pleased with the Nissan Primera and I will continue driving this for the next two or three years. However, I have noticed that the compared with other cars that we have owned in the past such as the Ford Fiesta and Fiat, the car insurance seems to be quite high and this year's has come to nearly £1600 :(

Advantages : Spacious, less maintenance, road clearance
Disadvantages: Hard to get good view in back mirror when reversing around corners

I hope you enjoyed reading my review. I will also be posting this review on Dooyoo under my same username Angela150.

• danielclark691 published 21/02/2015
    vh
  • Timbo3107 published 13/07/2011
    100!!!
  • catsholiday published 02/07/2011
    A good write up about this car - covered lots of useful info.