Review of "Nissan Sunny"

published 24/01/2003 | Happymama
Member since : 14/01/2003
Pro Cheap to keep
Cons Hard to find a good one
not rated
Road Handling
Features
Fuel consumption
Looks

"Sunny Coupe is the tops"

I had a F Reg 1998 Nissan Sunny Coupe 1.6 GSX Petrol for 156000 miles across 7 years. This fantastic car needed not a single top up of oil or water for the WHOLE 7 years. Yes, I do mean no leaks AT ALL. The block went rusty because of the non-oil leak protection, as only seen on classics according to the garage who very regularly serviced my car. Regular (6000 mile oil & filter changes) preventative maintenance kept this little rocket on course with the minimum of fuss and expense. The worst consumption I ever had from this car was 32 mpg, the best 56 mpg and 45mpg was my average. 97 bhp isn't a lot today, but this car was very lightweight and could take on the hot hatches of their day with no problem. I specialised in romping up motorway hills and stuffing people on roundabouts - move over Sunday Drivers.

The boot is large, the back seat small - between the rear wheelarches, actually, which is how you get such a big boot. The all-round vision was excellent, no blind spots, 100% reliable mechanics & electrics, no internal wear at all except a little bit of paint wore off one of the light switches. One sticky tappet that rattled when the oil had done 5600-6000 miles - how spooky is that?. The front seats were high-mileage comfortable, the driving position good, with positive handling (I lowered mine - cheaper than alloys and VERY effective) and very adequate brakes.
Factory fitted S/R & E/W, PAS all included.

A dying breed now, but shouldn't cost you more than £600 now for the biggest driving laughs I've ever had Check for rust, this is a Nissan after all. Not the wheel arches or sills - above the windscreen where the sweep of the bonnet throws all the stones.

This isn't just reminiscing, I p-ex'd mine against an Alfa 145 and regretted it for the next three years.

A great car. £5k when I bought it - £5k for 7 years, 100% starts, 120+ mph & 45 mpg.

They don't make them like this anymore. What a shame. Don't waste your money on a 2nd hand anything untill you've tested one of these. The 1.8 ZX was a bit faster with vented discs all round and a little spoiler, but no different anywhere else except engine size - I never felt the need for anything bigger at the time, to do what I needed, which was 23000 miles/year both motorway & town, within my budget. Now I have a bigger budget but need better economy than the Nissan Super-Coupes at 18-22 mpg (my V5 2.3 does 25 WORST!)

But I still miss my Sunny!

• spiceyspice published 26/01/2003
    better, hence my re-rate di
  • spiceyspice published 24/01/2003
    I feel a little more info required to make this VH, if you add to the op, leave me a message in my guestbook and ill re-rate if for you, however a very good start, I was lucky to get Helpful with some of my early ops. di