Review of "Nivea Essential Lip Balm"

published 11/10/2016 | snow_drops
Member since : 20/07/2016
Just had my little boy, so you won't see me around Ciao as much as usual for the next wee while :)
Pro moisturising, affordable, not sticky or waxy
Cons no SPF
Absorbency
Price
Gloss?
Frequency of Reapplication

"Nivea Essential Lip Balm - moisturising everyday lip care"

Nivea Essential Lip Balm

Price: £1.65 (or thereabouts)
Availability: Superdrug, Boots, supermarkets, and independent chemists
Suitable: for adults

Appearance

Nivea Essential Lip Balm comes in a small tube, in Nivea’s signature dark blue colour. The lip balm twists up, as a lipstick would, and is a creamy-white colour. It’s not the most stylish-looking of lip balms, but it’s a recognisable and practical design. I think this design is more hygienic than the little Nivea tins, which you dip your finger into, as with the tube, the balm doesn’t come into contact with potentially dirty nails or finger tips.

Using it

This lip balm can be applied quickly, but I find it’s best to add a couple of layers, to allow the balm to properly moisturise your lips. It does wear off throughout the day, and I find I need to reapply, especially in particularly cold or hot weather. It absorbs well into my lips and doesn’t leave any waxy or sticky residue, as I’ve felt with other lip care products. I don’t find this lip balm has a particular taste or fragrance.

I expect high quality from Nivea, and in my opinion, Nivea Essential Lip Balm lives up to that. It helps stop my lips from getting dried out or chapped, especially as we’re now coming into the colder months. It doesn’t contain an SPF, although other lip care in the Nivea range offer this.

What Would I Change?

The lip balm is a good, partly waxy consistency, but I’ve found out that it doesn’t hold out well in warmer temperatures. When I’ve taken this lip balm abroad, to hotter countries, it has started to melt inside the tube, and then ends up in a strange shape when it gets colder again. If I was living somewhere hot, I’d be looking for a lip balm which could resist the heat!

To make this lip balm ideal, there could be a version for hot weather (heat resistant with high SPF) and a winter version (helping keep lips moisturised in cold and windy weather). This may be more of a premium product, however, and would no doubt affect the price.

Overall

In my opinion, Nivea Essentials Lip Balm offers good value for money for general moisturising lip care product. When going on holiday, or through the summer months, I often prefer something with an added SPF, but otherwise, this is my go-to every day lip balm.

• euphie published 14/10/2016