Review of "Nivea Soft Intensive Moisturising Creme"

published 04/02/2008 | blue_ashleigh
Member since : 16/01/2007
Pro Moisturising, good value for money
Cons A little bit greasy

"~# Soft as a baby's bottom #~"

I received a free sample pot of Nivea Soft through the post this morning. I don't normally use moisturiser, but it just so happens that I have had a hideous cold for the past two weeks (not pleasant!) which has left my skin in a complete mess and is horribly dry and flaky (sexy I know!). So I welcomed this little pot of moisturiser as my skin is in real need of some life putting back into it.

Apparently Nivea Soft is - "a highly effective moisturising cream for every-day use on face, hands, and body. Enjoy a fresh moisture boost as Nivea Soft absorbs immediately into your skin and leaves it sensationally soft, supple, and invigorated". I tend to disagree slightly with this description, as I will explain below.

I opened the pot and there is a distinct smell to the moisturiser - it reminds me of sun cream! I'm not entirely sure I want to smell of sun cream in the middle of winter (technically it may still be autumn, but I feel like it's the depths of winter!). However, once you've put the moisturiser on your face the smell soon fades… well, becomes less prominent any how.

I put the moisturiser on my face and rubbed it in. I wouldn't say that it was absorbed into my skin, but after perhaps five minutes the majority of the moisturiser had sunk into my skin. However there is a slightly greasy feel to the moisturiser which I'm not too keen on. You only need the smallest amount though for your whole face (depending how large your face is, obviously!). I used roughly a pea sized amount (maybe a tad less) and it covered my whole face, so if you do buy this product you won't have to buy a pot every month or so, because it should last. Anyway, about half an hour after putting the moisturiser on the greasy feel had gone from my face (except for my forehead, but I have a very oily T spot anyway - I'm really making my self sound super attractive in this review… sigh…). My hands on the other hand is a different matter, my fingers still feel very greasy, even though the pot says it is for hands as well (excuse all the spelling mistakes, it's only because my fingers keep slipping off the keys…).

My cheeks do feel 'super soft' though, which is nice, and my dry and flaky skin is no more. Even the really rough skin around my nose has gone, which is fairly impressive. I can't say that my skin feels more supple though, just softer.

I can't comment on the packaging, as I received only a 8 ml trial sample through the post. Also, I'm not sure how much it would cost to buy… just been on the Boots website, and apparently it will cost you £6.99 for a 300 ml tub. I received an 8ml tub today and I reckon that's going to last me at least a week or two… so 300ml should last you about 37 - 75 weeks (roughly… don't take my word for it!). Going on that basis, £6.99 for a years worth of moisturiser isn't half bad. I'd say that was good value for money really. Before I looked at the price, I was probably not going to buy it as it's not amazing, there are drawbacks, but £7 for a year's worth of moisturiser is a bit of a bargain and I'm now thinking that the moisturiser is average at a very good price so I probably will buy it.

If you do have dry skin then this moisturiser is very good. I wouldn't recommend it though if you have oily skin, as it only makes it greasier, which is never a sexy look! However, as it is an intensive moisturising cream it's probably not designed for oily skin. Just had a thought and tried the moisturiser on my superly flaky legs, and it has made them a lot less dry, so perhaps (I am no expert though, so please don't take my word for it and maybe check with your doctor) this moisturiser could help if you have eczema as it's very moisturising.

Value for money is great, and the moisturiser itself is average. If you're looking for a really good moisturiser, then I would perhaps look for a different one, but if you're on a tight budget, this is probably a good option.

~ Boring Bits ~

Nivea Soft (www.nivea.com - they are often giving away free samples, so it's worth seeing whether you can get this as a free sample before buying)
Intensive moisturising cream
Contains Jojoba oil and Vitamin E
£6.99 for 300ml from www.boots.com

Summary: for a cheap moisturiser, this is a good 'un

(Also on dooyoo)

• JasonJRogers published 18/05/2010
    I wrote one on Dove, this sounds nice, VH from me!
  • BristolBud published 24/04/2008
    I found this left my skin soft but a tad too greasy for me. Paula
  • yassarikhan786 published 13/04/2008