Shower Gel

Review of "Nivea for Men Energy Shower Gel"

published 18/10/2016 | justarube
Member since : 09/04/2014
Hi, I enjoy writing and reading reviews. Thanks for your rates and comments. xx
Pro Refreshing. Good to skin.
Cons Lid design not great.
Does it smell good?

"Refreshing and Manly!"

My Introduction To The Product

I recently went away for a night and on my way to the hotel I purchased a bottle of this Nivea Men Energy Shower Gel to use in the shower as I'd forgotten to bring any other shower gel on my trip. Although this is a product aimed at men I'm really not fussy about using products that have a more masculine fragrance and in some cases I actually prefer these products to the female range! I often find that the products are interchangeable anyway.

Packaging

The product comes in a 250ml sized plastic bottle. The bottle is a blue plastic which means it is not recyclable in my local area but you may wish to check with your local recycling facilities as it may be recyclable elsewhere in the country.

The bottle has a flip top lid which doesn't require much force to flick open. The lid is actually not that secure and the section of the lid that clicks into the dispensing hole doesn't stop liquid oozing out of the hole. When I got this back home and opened up the lid a lot of gel had seeped out into the top. I was lucky it hadn't yet leaked into my clothing. I therefore wouldn't bother buying this again if I was to think about packing it into a suitcase for travelling.

The bottle has a label on the front and back. The main label features a design which suggests the product is very technologically advanced. On this label the gel is described as being suitable for "Body, Face and Hair". It is said to have "energising" properties due to the mint extract ingredient in the formula.

The label on the back of the bottle provides more detailed and helpful information including more about the formula and the benefits of using the product. The gel is labelled as being "PH skin balanced" and "dermatologically approved". A list of full ingredients is provided along with contact details for the brand. This constitutes a postal address as well as a web address. Nivea's products for men have their own individual website at:

www.niveamen.com
The Gel

The gel is an intense blue colour and the appearance and fragrance remind me of a substance you might use in a car engine to lubricate something! The gel is most definitely designed to appeal to men and is probably not a product that the whole household will want to use!

The consistency is very gooey and sticky. When I squeeze the bottle the gel comes out of the dispensing hole in dollops rather than emerging in a smooth flow. The stickiness of the gel means that it lathers up very well and creates a foam very quickly. The bubbles it creates are velvety and intense. It feels great to rub over the skin and it feels as though it softens and conditions.

The fragrance of the gel is rather intense. It's so strong that I really have not had any desire to use this near my face, despite the fact that the brand claim it's safe to do so. I would possibly use this as a shampoo but have not done so as yet. I think the fragrance would be long lasting in the hair. I thought that the gel might smell more of mint seeing as it contains extract of mint but I really can't detect this at all. I would describe the fragrance as being rather musky and chemically. It's not an original or unique fragrance. If you had to imagine a typical fragrance formulated for men then this would be it! There is nothing special about the fragrance that makes the product stand out from other brands.

The gel cleans well and it is definitely refreshing. It is particularly uplifting when used with very hot water since the fragrance mingles in the steam and seems to open up my airways. The gel also feels like it revitalises my body and skin. It doesn't exactly tingle on the skin but it seems to wake my body up to some degree!

After using this gel the fragrance remains on the skin after drying. It's so obvious and noticeable that you could get away with not using any cologne or body sprays. Although I'm used to using products for men I do find the fragrance of this product just a little bit too extremely masculine for my liking. I do think most men will find it suitable for their needs though.

Price and Availability

I bought this in an independent store and it was priced at just over £1. At supermarkets and chemist stores it tends to sell at the £1 mark. You can find it at stores such as Boots in the UK.

• StewwyB published 06/11/2016