Nokia 3410

Nokia 3410

Review of "Nokia 3410"

published 29/04/2003 | daveops
Member since : 31/01/2003
Pro I can make and receive calls
Cons No idea what all the other stuff is for
Look & Feel
Durability & Robustness
Battery standby time
Battery talktime

"I like holding my 4 and a half inches of pleasure"

There are things in the world that are beyond me. The mobile phone is one of these. Although I have owned one for five years, and I am now on my fourth, I have probably only received 50 calls in this time and made even less.

But I like them. I like getting new ones. And I like Carphone Warehouse, as they always give me the impression of not ripping me off. Unlike certain other mobile retailers. Word of advice though - check yor home contents insurance. Mine covers mobile phones up to £500 and calls up to £25. You probably DO NOT NEED TO BUY EXTRA INSURANCE IN THE SHOP!

Anyway, after asking me how I use my existing mobile, and ascertaining that this pattern is likely to continue, the recommended the Nokia 3410 on Vodaphone pay as you go. £79.99. A price also matched in Tesco. I traded in my ageing Motorola brick for this price.

Anyway, before I list the never ending range of features for my new phone, I will try (briefly) to explain the price plan in place.

First 3 minutes to any UK land line or vodaphone mobile 25p.
All subsequent minutes 5p.
Same rates to check your messages.

Calls to other network mobiles 40p a minute
Text messages 12p each for the first 3 each day, 9p thereafter. 10p a minute for WAP use

Still cheaper to ring from a landline in most cases. But, just in case I get attacked by a gang of Amazonians demanding my body, I will carry my new phone and pay this price!

There are other call plans available, but I am mindful of this being a phone review and not an airtime provider review.

So, other than taking and receiving calls, what does my Nokia 3410 do?

Well, it is light, 114g being barely noticeable in your pocket. It is also smaller than, say, the 3310, but not too small for my fat fingers to use. An important balance for chunky masculine hands!

Talktime is quoted as being from 3 hours, while it should last well over 55 hours on standby (the promotional literature says up to 260 hours, but pigs might fly). For my useage patterns, both these statistics are pointless, but you may need the information!

My step daughter has taken great pleasure in downloading lots of ringtones and I now have a different tone for whoever is ringing me. Mrs Daveops has made me remove the Funeral March for her calls! I even have the bloody Halifax adverts as ringtones following a visit to their website by my youngest!

Games are everywhere. When I have a heavy schedule at work and home, I have no idea why I would want games on my phone. But Snake II, Space Impact, and numerous others that can be downloaded, together with added difficulty levels not available on other models. I never cracked video tennis so this is well beyond me!

This is a WAP phone, so if you are not going to get to a computer you can access WAP enabled websites from your mobile. Although I have never used this facility, I can see the potential for benefits with online banking and must get round to setting this up!

As you would expect with Nokia, you can use many different covers and also change the very nice rubber texture keypads. While fashion fads are not my thing, I can see the benefit for those with their fingers on the pulse of what passes as IN.

Picture messages can be added from the club Nokia website, although this is not the "live" service currently being advertised by Mr Beckham on telly.

Clock, timer, alarm and reminder notes can be used, so you can get a friendly vibration to remind you (in text) to go to the pub!

While the more technical detail of the phone is well beyond me, my kids think it is "well cool", love playing and downloading games and think I have one of the best mobiles on the market.

I am sure it will stay that way until at least the end of the current month!

www.vodaphone.co.uk
www.carphonewarehouse.co.uk
www.howardshome-halifax.co.uk (this is really sad and funny)

By the way, I can make and recieve calls, so, yes, it does what I need it to do beautifully!

• penguinchickalata published 17/06/2003
    good opinion- not too technical!!!
  • jenni_a published 11/06/2003
    I got this phone a while back and I think it's brilliant! Great op luv Jenni xx :o)
  • ariadne published 26/05/2003
    The last bit is the most important - and this sounds like it does the job. :)

Product Information : Nokia 3410

The Nokia 3410 transports mobile gaming light years into the future with Java technology, which makes downloading the latest games and applications as easy as ordering a new operator logo. But that's only the beginning. If you think pictures speak louder than words, use the picture editor to create your own bitmap, and then send it to a friend, or save it as your screensaver. And when you feel like you need a change, you can get a whole new look with Nokia Xpress-on covers. Mobile gaming will never be the same again. The Java platform in the Nokia 3410 opens up a whole new world of interactivity to discover. But it's not just gamers who benefit from this exciting enabling technology. You can download other interactive services and applications, such as agents and personalized calendars, which can help you better manage your life in work and play. And with user memory reserved for Java games and applications, you can download to your heart's content at Club Nokia and co-operating vendors. With WAP Push, you'll never have to waste another minute hunting down the same WAP services over and over to stay in the know. Subscribe to daily services such as game packs, news and traffic information, public transport timetables informing about delays, timed advertisements, and sports results. The service sends a message containing text and a link to a WAP page straight to your phone. You have the option to discard the push message or click on the link and start up the WAP browser and continue normal browsing. No matter where you are, you always know what's going on. The Nokia 3410 comes with five traditional mobile games: Space impact, Bantumi, Snake II, Bumper, Link5; and one preloaded and erasable Java game so you can experience wireless Java for the first time, right in the palm of your hand.

Product Description: Nokia 3410 - GSM - mobile phone, Nokia 3410 - blue-white - GSM - mobile phone

Product Type: Mobile phone

Service Provider: Not specified

Form Factor: Bar

Dimensions (WxDxH): 49 mm x 23 mm x 115 mm

Weight: 114 g

Technology: GSM

Band: EGSM 900 / GSM 1800 (Dual Band), EGSM 900/1800 (Dual Band)

Display: LCD display - monochrome, LCD display

Localisation: English

Body Colour: Blue-white

Cellular

Technology: GSM

Band: EGSM 900 / GSM 1800 (Dual Band), EGSM 900/1800 (Dual Band)

Service Provider: Not specified

Phone Features

Phone Functions: Call timer, conference call, voice dialing, vibrating alert

Speech Codec: EFR, FR, HR

Ring Tones: 42

Additional Features: Intelligent Typing (T9), picture editor, closed user groups, downloadable JAVA applications, melody composer

Speed Dial: Yes

Organiser

Personal Information Management: Calendar, calculator, reminder, countdown timer, alarm clock with snooze, currency conversion, alarm clock

Voice Dialing Memory: 8 entries

Display

Type: LCD display - monochrome, LCD display

Line Qty: 4

Display Resolution: 96 x 65 pixels

Display Indicators: Divert indicator, missed calls indicator, alarm clock indicator, signal strength, text message waiting, voice message waiting, ringer alert off, keypad lock, battery meter

Display Illumination Colour: Green

Miscellaneous

Included Accessories: Power adapter

Manufacturer Warranty

Service & Support: 1 year warranty

Service & Support Details: Limited warranty - parts and labour - 1 year, Limited warranty - 1 year

Listed on Ciao since: 28/06/2002