Nokia 5800 XpressMusic

Nokia 5800 XpressMusic

Review of "Nokia 5800 XpressMusic"

published 16/10/2009 | ms19
Member since : 02/03/2002
Rate me and il try to rate you back :-) x
Pro good features
Cons -
Look & Feel
Durability & Robustness
Battery standby time
Battery talktime

"Handy Little Thing"

I have never been someone that bothered in having the most up to date phone but as of late it seemed that everyone around me had a fancy phone gadget and I still had my basic one. I had a nice phone but it got stolen a few months ago so I was a bit weary to pay a lot for a phone. However, I did buy a simple phone after this incident but I was paying £15 a month and didn't even have free texts or minutes so thought on contract I might get more value for money. I went into my o2 shop and had a look at current models, once I found a model I wanted I started looking at prices, I didn't really want a BlackBerry I did want the Nokia N97 but the contracts were very high for this so my next option was the Nokia 5800 XpressMusic.

On looking at the phone it does seem quite thick but it is easy to hold and it is black. It is like a small computer screen a rectangle shape and if you turn it around the screen will turn vertical or horizontally which is quite useful although this does annoy me at times. The phone being a touch screen is hard to get used to at first if you've never had it which was the situation in my case. However, the phone does come with a stilo which slips in and out of the corner if you choose to use it which is like a plastic pen to tap the screen with if you are finding your finger isn't working for doing the touch screen motions. I found the screen easy enough to use, the icons are all big enough and quite easy to work out.

One of the first things I always like to find out about a new phone is the quality of the camera. On nights out I am prone to taking a few snapshots and with it on my phone it saves me having to carry about my camera. This phone has a lot of memory I am sure it comes with a 16GB memory card which has a LOT of space and it is SD so can be taken out and slotted into a camera as well as your laptop or photo printing machine which a lot of phones do not have. The camera is 3.2 megapixels on this so it is very sharp quality. It has a bright flash on it also so it will work well at night which my last camera failed to do. It also sends the photos to a high standard on Bluetooth which I have tried out a few times.

Other features which might appeal more to others are texting, multimedia messages are easy enough to attach and you can send a voice message by recording your voice and talking what you need to say rather than writing which a few of my friends and family seemed to quite like. Also when writing the message you can turn it onto the handwriting mode which means you just take your stilo and write what you want to say on the text and it will automatically transfer your writing into type but just make sure you write clear letters as if you have messy writing it can't perform miracles. Sometimes texting with a touch screen can be a bit awkward but it's still ok.

When first using the phone I had a look at what music and videos it had, there are not a lot of pre-saved videos on this a few Carling Weekend band interviews, even the music is nothing great. I found the ringtone selection wasn't the best either which disappointed me. One of the first things I did was installed the Nokia disc to get the Nokia Ovi Suite onto my laptop which gives me the ability to add my own computer photos and music almost like Nokia's version of iTunes so that it instantly transfers everything via USB onto your phone in seconds. It again has so much space that you could have lots and lots before it gets full which my last phone again didn't have as I personally needed to buy more memory to have more than two songs. I added holiday photos to my phone and made them my desktop wallpaper as their selection of images is poor.

I found the sound on the phone is really good; you can adjust the volume with the buttons on the side. Also there is a camera shortcut button on the side too. The only annoying thing with the songs is that the mp3's imported don't always show up when I click show all songs some don't play unless I click settings and got through to Profiles and then General and get ringtone options up. This is not as easy as I'd hoped I'd have a list of all imported songs but yet some transfer fine. I do find you have to watch when playing music as it keeps the backlight on causing the battery to drain very quickly.

You can record voice clips on this phone not just for text but just to have and can also take video's. The phone also has your standard features such as adding photos to your contact list, calculator, calendar, alarm clock which is working well for me. One useful feature I do like is the dictionary, being a student and having lots of assignments this is always handy.

Another fancy feature on this phone is the Maps application which is like a GPS and can tell you where you are if you are lost or need to find your way. I am still unsure whether I am being charged for this but it is quite handy if in emergencies I need to find my way home or where I am going. The phone also has the BBC iPlayer installed into it if you need to catch up with TV on the go. It has a few games like one where you have songs and have to hit the keys to keep up with the beat, these are not the greatest but I don't buy my phone for games.

The internet is easy to access on the phone you just click and it connects but you do get charged a lot if you don't watch how many MB you are downloading. I only use internet by using the wireless finder if there is wireless about it will instantly connect you for free. This is brilliant as sometimes my laptop is slow so I use this in my house and can scan the auctions of eBay or check my e-mails and the internet does have quick links to Facebook and MySpace already set in so you can see everything clearly.

The battery life on the 5800 is quite good, if I let it charge fully until it tells me to remove my charger it can happily last me a good 3 days before needing to recharge again.

I love my Nokia 5800 XpressMusic, it has had so many compliments and so many people seem to know someone who has one. It is Nokia's first touch screen and so far I have had no problems even though I am useless weary of new inventions. It works to my needs, has everything I need and is a cheaper version of the iPhone which I don't want anyway. The phone comes with a tripod for taking photos and a headphone set as this is a phone which is an MP3 player.

I got my Nokia 5800 from Phones4U after searching every single high street phone retailer and individual stores like o2, T-Mobile for the best contract. I finally settled at Phones4U who offered me a £30 trade in for my old phone which I only paid £50 for originally anyway which was brilliant. I also got my first month of my contract paid for free all cash back on the day. I pay £25 a month and am on o2 which I wanted; I get 650 minutes a month which is 10 hours 50 minutes, more than enough time to any network as well as unlimited texts. I do get charged for using Internet if not on Wireless and for 0800 numbers and Multimedia Messages but overall I normally keep within budget. It is a 24 month contract but at 18 months I was told I can cancel.

If you want more information on Nokia and their phones go to http://europe.nokia.com/ where you can find out the phone dimensions, specifications, get more images of it. Also, if you want more information on my Phones4U o2 contract then click here http://www.phones4u.co.uk it won't be my exact deal but there are always other offers on.

• aadamm published 23/10/2009
    Great review
  • TheHairyGodmother published 20/10/2009
    Excellent review :)
  • MizzMolko published 18/10/2009
    Sounds like a good phone - well reviewed : ) Eleanor x

Product Information : Nokia 5800 XpressMusic

Delivering on Nokia's vision to provide the best total music experience possible, the Nokia 5800 XpressMusic cell phone will be among the first devices to support Comes With Music, Nokia's groundbreaking service which offers one year of unlimited access to the entire Nokia Music Store catalogue. When it comes to music phones, people all over the world want a device that is a great music experience - with more memory, loud and powerful speakers, easy synchronization - and must work well as a mobile phone with direct access to important contacts and content.

System / Handheld Type: Smartphone

Phone Design: Classic

Communications / Wireless Interface: Wifi; Bluetooth

Cellular / Phone Form Factor: Classic

Cellular / Type: Smartphone

Cellular / Integrated Components: Digital camera; Digital player; FM radio; GPS receiver

CE Input Device / Type: Touch Screen

Standby Time: Up to 408 hours, Up to 406 hours

Operating System: Symbian OS

Mobile Broadband Generation: 3G

Product Type: Smartphone

Product Description: Nokia 5800 XpressMusic - black - 3G GSM - smartphone, Nokia 5800 XpressMusic - blue - 3G GSM - smartphone, Nokia 5800 XpressMusic - red - 3G GSM - smartphone, Nokia 5800 XpressMusic - 3G GSM - smartphone

Rear-facing Camera Resolution: 3.2 Megapixel

Technology: WCDMA (UMTS) / GSM

Band: WCDMA (UMTS) / GSM 850/900/1800/1900

Supported Memory Card: Micro SD Card, microSDHC

Display: LCD display - colour - 3.2" - TFT

Integrated Components: Digital camera, 2nd camera, digital player, voice recorder

Input Device(s): Touch sensitive screen

Body Colour: Black, Blue, Red

Aerial: Internal

Form Factor: Touch

Product Type: Smartphone

MPN: 002L463, 451001020100, 002H7S4, 99915840, 002L0P2, 002H7N9, 002K5K6, 002H7V1B, 002H7P9, 002H7T4, 002H7P9B, 002H7V1, 5800

Image Colour Disclaimer: The image of the product displayed may be of a different colour

Cellular

Band: WCDMA (UMTS) / GSM 850/900/1800/1900

Technology: WCDMA (UMTS) / GSM

Application Software: Adobe Flash Lite 3

Messaging & Internet

Downloadable Content: Audio files, video files, themes, games, ring tones, screensavers, wallpapers

Cellular Messaging Services: MMS, Nokia Smart Messaging, SMS

Messaging & Data Features: PDF support, Zip Manager support, Microsoft Word support, Microsoft Excel support

Supported Email Protocols: POP3, IMAP4, SMTP

Mobile Services: Video Call

WAP Protocol Supported: WAP 2.0

Communications

Communication Features: Mobile Email client, Internet browser

Data Transmission: GPRS, EDGE, HSDPA

Bluetooth Profiles: Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP)

Wireless Interface: IEEE 802.11b/g, Bluetooth, IEEE 802.11b/g

High Speed Circuit Switched Data (HSCSD): Yes

Organiser

Personal Information Management: Calendar, synchronization with PC, calculator, reminder, alarm clock

Memory

Supported Flash Memory Cards: Micro SD Card, microSDHC

User Memory: 81 MB

Digital Camera

Rear-facing Camera Resolution: 3.2 Megapixel

Video Recorder Resolutions: 640 x 360 (nHD), 640 x 480 (VGA)

Camera Light Source: Flash

Still Image Resolutions: 2048 x 1536

Still Image Formats: JPEG

Digital Video Formats: MPEG-4, H.263

Digital Zoom: 3

Display

Features: LCD touch screen, wallpaper, screen saver

Display Illumination Colour: White