Review of "Nokia DT-900 Wireless Charging Plate for Lumia 820 and 920"

published 07/04/2013 | jjcross
Member since : 15/05/2010
PF rules.... Is somebody cutting costs? And food and drink has gone down the loo too ;-) Nice one Ciao
Pro It looks great! Very convenient to have and use, easy to set up.
Cons The light is annoying at night, but you can easily cover it up!
Reliability
Ease of Use

"Poof... and it is charging!"

For use with the 820 ans the 920.

For use with the 820 ans the 920.

Mobile phones: The innovation never ceases to amaze me. First we had the iPhone 1st generation, which started of the craze for touchscreens large and small. Now we have wireless charging (on the Nokia Lumia 920/820, Nexus 4 and the Samsung Galaxy S4. So should you REALLY spend £50 on this Nokia gimmick???? Certainly not... But that is because, it isn't a gimmick. Instead you should invest your £50 on this MASTERPIECE!!!!!

Ok so what does it do?

Simple, an electrical current in the charger creates a magnetic field, which then turns this into a voltage – and that voltage powers your phone, wire-free! GENIUS (even if magnetic fields were discovered in 1831..)

How do I set it up and get it going?

Simple. All you have to do is take the wireless charger out of the box plug it into a socket and put the wire through to the wireless pad. This then creates the field, of which you can simply place you Nokia 920 or 820 (if you have the correct cover for the 820 that is.) Your Nokia can then charge. You don't need to worry about charging times, the speed is exactly the same with an ordinary charger!

Another good idea!

Since launching wireless charging, I am pleased to announce that Nokia intend to fit some wireless chargers in areas such as Airports, Planes and train stations (and trains.) This to me is a great idea as a business people (of which I am told, are quickly becoming attached to their Lumia's) as they can top up on charge while travelling. Not only this; Nokia will also be introducing these charges in coffee shops and certain bars.

Quality: The wireless charger is certainly a premium device. It is certainly good looking and you can have it in black, red, yellow, or white. I got the black version and I believe it complements the deep black screen, with the yellow body of the phone. To prevent bottom scratches, it has a rubber like band, also providing good grip, upon placement of the phone.

An annoying feature: One thing I don't like is the fact that when you charge the phone up (something I do all the time) the sensor will tell you when it is charging/has been charged, this light is particularly therefore annoying at night, as the white light is quite disturbing.

Going back to good features: Another thing to mention is that when you place your Nokia on the charging plate, it will let you know that it is charging by beeping at you and once again, when taking it off, simple, yet efficient.

Will it make me look high tech?

Yes, more than likely. Nokia has gone for the "posh" minimalist look, it is nice and thin and fairly light, though the socket charger, is actually quite bulky. The black color, makes it all the more subtle, as you can see in the picture.

Value for Money: If you can afford a £500 phone, then I guess you could afford a £40-£50 wireless charger, though they can be found for less on eBay. Overall I love the fact that I can place my Nokia on the plat and forget about it. You don't have to be hugely accurate either, with your placement, though if you are completely out, your phone will beep at you. I really appreciate this product as I remember my LG phone, with that the wired charger broke after 6 months, with 18 months left of contract. The Nokia therefore has solved this issue, while blessing us with great style, with superb value for money!

Verdict: Scandinavian style and efficiency really come together here! It works well and it really does look good on my chest of draws. On top of that it is very convenient; just don't forget to cover that light at night!

• RICHADA published 09/04/2013
    As a "business user" I can't say that I've ever truly felt the need to charge my Lumia this way. R.
  • anonymili published 08/04/2013
    I wonder how many actual business users use a Lumia? The last company I worked for and my present company only gave out/give out Blackberrys for business use...
  • CosmicLove published 08/04/2013