Nokia Lumia 820

Nokia Lumia 820

Review of "Nokia Lumia 820"

published 27/11/2012 | zoe_page
Member since : 08/07/2001
As seen on TV
Pro Windows! Office! Super fast, snazzy, customizable design
Cons Larger than many phones, impossible to get the back cover off
Look & Feel
Durability & Robustness
Battery standby time
Battery talktime

"Luminous"

My phone vs. the iPhone - bit of a difference in screen brightness, non?

My phone vs. the iPhone - bit of a difference in screen brightness, non?

When the nice Royal Mail man brought my new Nokia Lumia 820 to work, I squealed. Everyone else sighed with relief. I had been going on about it for rather a while. They were all keen to see it in action, but none were as eager as me. However, two things stood between me and being able to play with my new toy. One was that it needed a micro Sim and I currently had a normal one. But this we did not realise for a while because, crikey, was it hard to get the back cover off this bad boy. I tried. My admin tried. In the end I had to bring in the big guns and in doing so managed to answer the question “How many doctors does it take to prise off a Lumia’s back cover?” Answer: two, with the aid of Google and, later, a Youtube video. We got there in the end, I left work early to pop to the O2 store at the Trafford Centre to swap my Sim, and the rest, as they say, is history. It’s only been a couple of weeks but I am seriously in love with this phone. If I thought my last one (and LG Optimus chat) was a smart phone then this must be a (non-Apple) Genius. It seems to know what I want to do before I do and then does it bigger, does it faster, and does it better.

The Lumia is a big phone. It’s bigger than my old one, even with its slide out keyboard. It’s bigger than an iPhone (I kidnapped one off one of my reception team to check. As a side note: the Lumia’s screen is also much more, well, luminous). For a while my phones were getting smaller, almost to the stage you could conceal one in your hand, but this one is a big old brick. Except it’s not like the bricks of days gone by. This one is cool. It’s heavy but it’s flat, stylish and shiny. It won’t fit in my pocket (and if it did you might mistakenly think I was VERY happy to see you) but it slides easily into my bag (though not the phone-shaped compartments designers now think we all need). It’s probably teetering on the edge of what could be called a phone rather than a tablet, but it’s definitely far more portable than, say, a mini iPad. And here’s the kicker: it does a hell of a lot of things a tablet might do, despite its compact size.

The Lumia 820 runs Windows, which is just rather cool, isn’t it? I’ve been a fan since the days of 3.0, and despite a few misadventures with NT and XP, I now rock Windows 7 on most of my computers, and do so happily. I’m definitely a Windows girl rather than an Apple one, and proudly so, so it’s fantastic to be able to have Windows on my phone and make the world jealous. (Random drunk man in a bar last Friday: “Wow you have a Windows 8 phone! That’s so cool! Can I have a look?” Me: “No, now go away”).

What would Windows be without Office? you might ask but with this phone you never need find out because it comes with Word and Excel and Powerpoint preloaded which means you can work on things on your phone and then email or transfer them via USB to a computer to finish off and print, or vice versa. I also downloaded Adobe, for free, so I can view PDFs. The attention to detail of the Office elements is magnificent – there’s a special icon to start the slide show for example – and because the screen is so big and so clear, it makes working on documents on the go a doddle. The keyboard (a touchscreen affair) means I wouldn’t want to trade my laptop in permanently, and I might not want to write a full policy on my phone, but you can certainly make notes or amend an existing document with no trouble.

The downside to this operating system? It’s not as established for phones as Android or iOS are. Some of the apps aren’t quite as stable (Facebook often ‘has trouble getting data’ even when Twitter is updating just fine). Usually this resolves itself, but sometimes it requires the old standard switch-it-off-and-back-on-again.

I previously preferred physical QWERTY keyboards, like on my LG or my work Blackberry, but I was pleasantly surprised with this and have had no trouble typing quickly and accurately with the touchscreen. It’s just the right amount of sensitive so it picks up movements you want it to, without spiralling out of control if someone sneezes nearby, and though it took me a while to find my ë or the _ in my email address, they are sensibly located once you know where to look, and also make typing in a foreign language quite straight forward. Which is good for those of us who tweet in German and Spanish, y’know?

The camera has a high spec and takes remarkably clear photos much to the aggravation of the doctors I was showing it to at a training session last week. I used to have a separate digital camera but with this phone I genuinely cannot see the point of carrying two devices round with me when this takes such good photos and does so much more. The video is great too, and I like being able to have photos on my start screen, but I’m not really sure I’ll use the ‘albums’ feature rather than keep them in the ‘Camera roll’ where they all go by default. The option to search by date is highly useful though, or I imagine it will be once I’ve had it for longer. For those cool (ahem) outstretched arm poses, the phone features a front facing camera so you can see the shot before you shoot, and the extra features (flash, adjustable aspect ratio and exposures, crop, rotate and autofix) all make it feel like a proper camera rather than ‘just’ a camera on a phone.

One of the key features of the Lumia is the ability to ‘tile’ different apps to your start screen, enabling you to customise your phone completely. You can not only rearrange the tiles, but you can resize them too depending on how often you use them, so I’ve kept Internet Explorer and the Store ones, but shrunk them down a bit to make room for massive Facebook and Twitter as these are ones I use more frequently. They also allow me to keep up to date without having to click into the various apps as those two flash most recent updates to you from this screen – Twitter tells me the latest action from others (who has followed me or mentioned me) while Facebook likes to tell me my latest status, perhaps in a subtle nudge to update it. You can sync email accounts too – I added my Yahoo mail in a matter of seconds, and this refreshes regularly to let you know when mail comes in, even when your phone is on standby.

Something else I find quite entertaining is the language predictor which goes beyond predictive text to predict the next words in your sentence. So I’ll type in ‘what’ and it will suggest ‘is’ before I’ve even hit the letter ‘i’. After ‘what is’ it suggests ‘the’ or ‘it’. It’s polite, as well. Text someone ‘Can you’ and it will suggest ‘please’ as the next word, ahead of ‘get’, ‘send’ or ‘do’. What’s more, it also learns from what you tell it. I trained at a certain Olympian’s gym in Liverpool last week, and it now seems to think ‘The Tweddle’ is an appropriate word combination because that’s exactly what I tweeted last week. The language engineer in me thinks this is amazing, and I quite want the job of putting together the most common collocations, though I imagine even that has been outsourced to corpus scanning machines.

The Lumia 820 is a thoughtfully and intuitively designed phone and in keeping with the Windows aspect, seems to have been designed with the computer literate in mind. I like the way you can adjust the volume on the side of the phone, or switch to the camera with the other button on the side, without having to navigate through menus. The search button on the front means you can whizz straight onto the internet without bothering with the IE icon and the back button, also on the front, is exactly what has been missing from all the internet-ready phones I’ve used before. The phone has everything you need from a smartphone, and more. It’s like having a mini computer on hand at all times, and the fact that it interfaces with my home and work Windows machines is a brilliant bonus.

There’s so much going on I’ve not even bothered to seek out the ringtones yet, and pass a careless hour or so playing them all, repeatedly, to find the best one. I could ramble on for days without covering everything. For example, I’ve not mentioned the music player, or the ingenious Mix Radio that lets you instantly play or download, free of charge, pre-selected tracks with themes from Christmas to 70s Disco, 80s Dance and 90s RnB plus the UK and US Singles Charts. There’s Nokia City Lens with tips on where to eat, stay, shop, wherever you are. It knows I’m in Manchester now, but I’m excited to try it out when on the Continent in a few weeks and in need of more local recommendations. There’s a built in map app, and there’s Sat Nav too.

This is by far the most exciting phone I’ve ever played with. It has everything you could possibly need but keeps the items accessible so you don’t have to go ferretting, and it’s so lovely and fast you never feel they’ve scrimped on the memory. I find the battery life quite good and it’s only fully died on me once, which was a day of particularly heavy usage. I would previously turn my internet on and off throughout a day, and rarely had my GPS on, but even leaving both on permanently on my Lumia it lasts a full day with sporadic internet use instigated me, and constant FB and Twitter updates instigated by itself.

Highly recommended!

Best features in a nutshell:

- Attractive and intuitively designed
- Inbuilt Microsoft Office
- Great camera
- Innovative music features

Minor niggles

- A bit bulky (though still smaller than the Lumia 920)
- Some of the apps a little unstable
- Not much grip as the entire phone is smooth and ridge free – I keep worrying I’ll drop it, especially when I’m using it at the gym
- That darned back cover!

This phone comes in lots of colours, and I expect other manufacturers may bring out custom covers soon which I’ll happily trade my plain white in for, assuming, that is, I can ever get the back off again…

I received my Lumia 820 for free as part of a Ciao User Test. So thanks to the lovely folks at Nokia (and Ciao) for making Christmas come a bit early this year. I’m thrilled and know I’ve barely scratched the surface of what’s on offer (while of course not having physically scratch the surface – I’m far too careful with it for that!)

• jjcross published 02/04/2013
    I bought the Lumia 920 as a phone... And yet it isn't big enough for me!
  • JOHNV published 21/12/2012
    Excellent review!
  • Jake_Speed published 04/12/2012
    A tip top review.

offers "Nokia Lumia 820"

Product Information : Nokia Lumia 820

With smart shoot, just one click of the camera takes a whole series of photos. Then merge them into one, so everyone in the group looks their best. Eyes open, big smiles, perfect shot. Looking for a restaurant? Fancy a quick drink? With Nokia city lens, just holding your phone up reveals the area's shops, restaurants and businesses. You can then read reviews. Book a table. And find your quickest route. Choose a wireless charging shell for your Nokia Lumia 820 and you'll never need to plug it in again. Once the shell is in place, just rest it on a charging plate - or the Charging Pillow by Fatboy - to boost the battery.

Product Description: Nokia Lumia 820 - red - 4G HSPA+, FD-LTE - 8 GB - GSM - Windows Phone

Product Type: Windows Phone, Windows Phone - 4G - 8 GB

Mobile Broadband Generation: 4G

Smartphone Memory: 8 GB

Service Provider: Not specified, Orange

Mobile Services: Video Call, YouTube, Gmail, Windows Live, Xbox LIVE, Yahoo! Mail, MSN Hotmail, Nokia Music, Nokia Mail, Office 365, Windows Live SkyDrive (7GB of free online cloud storage), Nokia Mix Radio, Nokia Wallet

Form Factor: Touch

Dimensions (WxDxH): 69 mm x 10 mm x 124 mm

Weight: 160 g

Colour: Red, White, Black, Grey, Purple, Yellow, Cyan

Technology: WCDMA (UMTS) / GSM

Band: WCDMA (UMTS) / GSM 850/900/1800/1900

Integrated Components: Digital camera, 2nd camera, digital player, GPS receiver, Wi-Fi hotspot, GLONASS receiver, voice recorder

Rear-facing Camera Resolution: 8 Megapixel

Wireless Interface: Bluetooth, NFC, Wi-Fi

Display: OLED display - colour - 4.3" - ClearBlack

Input Device(s): Touch sensitive screen (multi-touch)

Operating System: Windows Phone OS 8

Instant Messaging Services: Windows Live Messenger (MSN Messenger), Facebook Chat, Twitter IM, LinkedIn IM

Supported Social Networks and Blogs: Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn

Playback Digital Standards: WAV, WMA, AAC, ASF, AMR, MP3, AAC-LC, AAC +, eAAC+, M4A, HE-AAC, WMA 10 Pro, WMA 9 , MPEG-4, 3GP

Supported Memory Card: microSDHC - up to 64 GB, microSDHC - up to 32 GB

Talk Time: Up to 924 minutes, Up to 840 minutes, Up to 320 minutes

Standby Time: Up to 360 hours, Up to 330 hours, Up to 464 hours

Microsoft Certification: Compatible with Windows 7

SAR Value: 0.94 W/kg

General

MPN: A00008964, 0022L18, A00008821, IS_Nokia Lumia 820 grey Fi, IS_Nokia Lumia 820 grey No, ONKN2961, IS_Nokia Lumia 820 purple UK, IS_Nokia Lumia 820 red UK, IS_Nokia Lumia 820 white UK, IS_Nokia Lumia 820 yellow UK, IS_Nokia Lumia 820 cyan UK, A00009063, A00009064, A00009065, A00009062, A00008995, IS_Nokia Lumia 820 black UK, A00008965, IS_Nokia Lumia 820 grey UK

Product Type: Windows Phone

Band: WCDMA (UMTS) / GSM 850/900/1800/1900

Mobile Broadband Generation: 4G

Service Provider: Not specified, Orange

Operating System: Windows Phone OS 8

Application Software: ActiveSync, Microsoft OneNote Mobile, Internet Explorer 10, Nokia City Lens, Nokia Transport

Input Device(s): Multi-touch , capacitive

Software Platforms Supported: Java

Messaging & Internet

Cellular Messaging Services: MMS, SMS

Supported Email Protocols: POP3, IMAP4, SMTP

Messaging & Data Features: XHTML Browser, PDF support, Microsoft Word support, Microsoft Excel support, Microsoft PowerPoint support

Communications

Data Transmission: GPRS, EDGE, HSDPA, HSUPA, HSPA+, FD-LTE

Data Transmission Operating Frequency: LTE 800/900/1800/2100/2600, LTE 700/800/850/900/1700/1800/1900/2100/2600

Wireless Interface: Bluetooth 3.0, NFC, IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n

WLAN Security: WEP, WPA, WPA2, TKIP, AES

Communication Features: Mobile Email client, Internet browser

Bluetooth Profiles: Hands Free Profile (HFP), Headset Profile (HSP), Object Push Profile (OPP), Serial Port Profile (SPP), Generic Access Profile (GAP), Service Discovery Application Profile (SDAP), Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP), Audio/Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP), General Audio/Video Distribution Profile (GAVDP), Phonebook Access Profile (PBAP)

Phone Features

Phone Functions: Speakerphone, voice control, call timer, conference call, voice dialing, vibrating alert

Sensors: Accelerometer, ambient light sensor, proximity sensor, magnetometer, gyro sensor

Additional Features: Picture editor, Text-to-Speech (text recognition), dual LED camera light, wireless charging

Organiser

Personal Information Management: Calendar, synchronization with PC, calculator, reminder, alarm clock

Media Player

Supported Digital Audio Standards: WAV, WMA, AAC, ASF, AMR, MP3, AAC-LC, AAC +, eAAC+, M4A, HE-AAC, WMA 10 Pro, WMA 9

Supported Digital Video Standards: MPEG-4, 3GP

Supported Flash Memory Cards: microSDHC - up to 64 GB, microSDHC - up to 32 GB

Bult-in Memory: 8 GB

Digital Camera

Rear-facing Camera Resolution: 8 Megapixel

Still Image Resolutions: 3264 x 2448, 3264 x 2448, 3552 x 2000, 3552 x 1998, 3264 x 2448, 3552 x 1998, 3264 x 2448, 3552 x 2000

Lens Aperture: F/2.2

Min Focal Length: 26 mm, 28 mm

Focus Adjustment: Automatic

Digital Zoom: 4

Special Effects: Negative, Sepia, Vivid, normal, Greyscale, False Colours, Solarise

White Balance: Automatic, presets

Camera Light Source: LED light

Video Recorder Resolutions: 1920 x 1080 (1080p)

Features: Landscape/portrait mode, video recording, Geo-tagging, Carl Zeiss optic, tap to focus

Sensor Resolution: 8 Megapixel

Connections

Connector Type: Micro-USB ¦ Headset jack - mini-phone 3.5mm

Battery

Capacity: 1650 mAh

Run Time Details: Talk ( GSM ) - up to 924 min ¦ Standby ( GSM ) - up to 360 hrs ¦ Talk ( WCDMA ) - up to 486 min ¦ Standby ( WCDMA ) - up to 360 hrs ¦ Playback ( Music ) - up to 61 hrs

Miscellaneous

Compatible with Windows 7: "Compatible with Windows 7" software and devices carry Microsoft’s assurance that these products have passed tests for compatibility and reliability with 32-bit and 64-bit Windows 7.

Included Accessories: Data cable, headset, power adapter