Norbreck Castle Hotel, Blackpool

Norbreck Castle Hotel, Blackpool

Review of "Norbreck Castle Hotel, Blackpool"

published 18/10/2004 | sarah110
Member since : 13/09/2002
Parent forums, parent councils, working parties - whose idea to change, is it for the better? Taking a lot of my time no time for reviews!
Pro Out of the town
Cons Too many people!

"Norbreck Castle Hotel"

I'm glad that I did not get to read any of the reviews before I went to this hotel, or see the Holidays from Hell programme the night before!

The hotel can be found along the seafront, about three miles from the main centre of Blackpool, heading out towards Fleetwood. It is now under the Britannia hotels group and it is easily accessible by tram and bus. We used the trams the whole time instead of me driving all the time.

My husband, my two youngest children and myself went last week for a couple of nights, after finding an advert which gave a special price of £35 per person dinner bed and breakfast per night. The two children were included free of charge, including their meals. The advert did state that the hotel was ungoing a £7million pound upgrade, and that some services may not be available. This did not deter us as we had plenty we were wanting to do in Blackpool itself.

We arrived well before booking in time, and if we had needed to would have been able to store our luggage at the hotel before being allowed to actually book in. We informed them that we had arrived and were able to book our meal time. There was also no problem with us leaving the car in the car park.

When we went back to the hotel, we changed our meal time with no problem, when we booked in officially. The staff at the desk were very clear in their instructions of where to find the room and other facilities.

The Room.

Firstly you are given a key card as opposed to a standard key. There are no markings to identify which room it belongs, which is much better security, as most hotels have the number emblazened with the key, and hotel name also. On entering the room we found it to be in good repair although a child had scribbled on the wall beside one of the childrens beds. We had a double and 2 single beds. Unfortunately there was only one wardrobe and one set of drawers, so if we had of been staying longer I don't believe that this would have been enough room.

The heating was easily controlled for the room, as the radiator could be turned on and off as you pleased. We used it to dry our swimming stuff, otherwise we turned it off.

There were the usual tea and coffee making facilites, although they were a bit stingy as to the amount you got.

The bathroom was clean and tidy, with just enough towels. We were glad that we had taken extra towels for swimming, although you could ask for more. Soap, shower gel and a shower cap were available for use - I did my usual and if it wasn't used stuck it in the bag to get more, as with the tea and coffee!! The bath had a safety mat provided, and the shower curtain was clean. the shower was quite powerful and easy to put to the temperature you required.

Swimming Pool.

This was a bit on the cold side but it was nice to relax in. The kids certainly enjoyed it. At the poolside there was a whirlpool, this was only for those aged 16 or above. It wasn't that much warmer than the main pool. There was also a sauna and a steam room for the adults to use. I managed to use the sauna leaving hubby with the kids in the pool. Shame!!

Meals.

The meals were fantastic.

The restaurant area was large, with several staff, but too hot. In the evening they would get you your starter and take orders for kids meals, if they were not having the same as ourselves. Apart from this they were happy to help with whatever you needed - on several occassions I saw them aiding handicapped and some of the elderly residents get their meals. The staff were very good at making you feel comfortable. Especially good for those of us with young children.

For the evening meals there were three choices for starter, although you did not have to stick to having just one, and about five choices for the main course. The main courses were self serve, with a good selection of vegetables, potatoes etc. The dessert was also self serve with several types ie apple pie, bakewell, flans etc and cream as well. Again you could have more than one portion. The kids could have either the main sweets or ice cream if they preferred.

After the meal there was a choice of tea and coffee, again self serve, and as much as you wanted.

Breakfast was all self serve. There was all the usual cereals, fruit, yogurts, and a cook selection of cooked food. Toast was available in abundance. You could eat as much as you wanted! We did not need to eat again until we went back for our evening meal.

Entertainment and Facilities.

In the evenings there was live entertainment. This varied from live bands to an evening of magic. My only problem with this was staying awake to enjoy it after going out all day. The entertainment seemed to go down well with all the residents.

There were other facilities available at the hotel. These included a gym and a health spa, with all the usual extras being able to purchase ie facials. I did not get to use these, but could see that they were well used by others. The hotel also has a cinema for the kids. We did not use this either as we did not have time. There was a charge for this.

The hotel has many conference suites available for hire, although some of these were being upgraded at the time of our visit.

All areas of the hotel, that I went in, were easily accessible for the disabled. They did seem to cater well for this group. My youngest daughter had never been able to ask so many people why they were in their wheelchairs, one young lad was especially pleased that she spoke to him.

I enjoyed the experience and hopefully now that it is under the new management the hotel will continue to thrive.

• carolburns published 20/08/2005
    Great review I am a bit biased though as I also run a small hotel here in Blackpool. Have to admit that up to 6 months ago the Norbreck did not have a good name at all but now it seems to be pulling itself back up there so Good Luck to them. Carol xx
  • torr published 01/08/2005
    Interesting and thorough review. My son lives near Blackpool so I am always interested in places to stay round and about. Duncan
  • LeahMartin published 21/10/2004
    Thanks for that review Sarah - I am due to stay at Norbreack castle Hotel on 19 November this year and the reviews I had read so far disheartened me a little. Glad to hear that you had a good stay. Leah