Norbreck Castle Hotel, Blackpool

Norbreck Castle Hotel, Blackpool

Review of "Norbreck Castle Hotel, Blackpool"

published 23/11/2004 | LeahMartin
Member since : 30/11/-0001
Good
Pro Late bar and all you can eat food
Cons Too far to the town

"Norbreck Castle Hotel - Blackpool"

My friends and I decided to have a weekend away because it was one of their birthdays. We booked for a two-night weekend break at the Norbreck Castle Hotel in Blackpool through National Coach Holidays on 19 November 2004. The brochure described the break as being ‘All inclusive’ and we looked forward to fact that we would be able to drink copious amounts of alcohol for free (and why not!).

We paid £89.00 for two night’s dinner, bed and breakfast with drinks also included from 7.30pm – 10.30pm in one of the three bars in the hotel.

When we arrived at 1.30pm we were met in the lobby with a poster telling us that we were unable to check in until 3.30pm, this was our first mishap. The décor in the lobby was okay and the hotel on the surface seemed rather nice. We made our way to the bar (as you do), to kill a couple of hours before we were allowed in our rooms.

The bar area was spacious and airy, with a large conservatory. We got our second shock when we ordered drinks from the bar - £2.80 for a pint of Kronenberg. Now this may be what most people expect to pay but I was disgusted with the price. We didn’t even pay that when we stayed in London and we were half expecting it there.

When we eventually got our cards for our rooms we excitedly made our way up to inspect what we had. We opened the door and were hit with the smell of, what I can only describe as – urine (or the kind of smell you get when you’ve left your washing in the machine for too long after it’s finished it’s cycle) – nice. The window was slightly ajar, I went to close it only to find there was no lock and scaffolding outside. Only one of the lamps above the bed worked and we had no towels, but the bedding was clean and that was most important – whatever next! Still we were determined not to let things annoy us. We changed and went downstairs to drink and be merry some more and then decided to head to the town. The town was miles away which was another thing we did not realise when we booked but that was partly our fault for not looking into things before we booked. A taxi ride into town was anything from £7.00 - £9.00.

When we returned (around 7.30pm) we decided to head to the bar with our wristbands, which entitled the holder to two free drinks per visit to the bar. What a strange sight that met us when we arrived. In the rather large hall there was a massive queue for the bar, I’m talking at least a 10 - 15 minute wait, maybe even longer as we did not stay to find out. We thought this was a ridiculous way to run the free bar as not everyone drinks at the same pace and with only a couple of bar staff we had no chance of getting served. We headed to the other bar and paid for our alcohol instead – a very cunning plan by the tour operator and hotel I must say.

When we finally went to bed we had an okay night sleep due to the fact the walls in the hotel are paper thin and we could here everything going on next door, conversations the lot and the fact the to room was boiling, even thought the radiator was off. On the second night we found it hard sleeping due to it being extremely cold – we couldn’t win.

The only redeeming feature of our stay at the Norbreck Castle Hotel was our food, we missed the dinner on the first night but had a full english breakfast both mornings and dinner for one evening which we enjoyed.

All in all we enjoyed the break, as we always do, and made the most of it but we probably wouldn’t stay at Norbreck again, we found Blackpool on the whole quite expensive and the hotel mediocre.

• sarah110 published 25/11/2004
    It's such a shame that you did not enjoy your stay. Mine was so good the other week - it had been made aware that work was under way with the upgrading of the hotel, and some facilities would be disrupted. Sarah x
  • s_jones_2003 published 23/11/2004
    Not been to Blackpool for ages... sounds like this isn't a good place to stay if I ever do go anyway! You've not been around for a while, hope all is good? Sarah x
  • Emma1973 published 23/11/2004
    I would have been out there and complaining so quick, I wouldnt even have unpacked my toothbrush!