Norbreck Castle Hotel, Blackpool

Norbreck Castle Hotel, Blackpool

Review of "Norbreck Castle Hotel, Blackpool"

published 11/11/2005 | la_chique
Member since : 06/01/2005
Good
Pro Family friendly, quiet
Cons not that good value for money

" Norbreck... what now?"

I was unfortunate enough to work for the castle back in 2003 for 6 weeks, whilst I was trying to earn some cash one summer before I started a course at college.

Quite frankly, staff were treated absolutely atrotiously, and rooms were finished to such a low standard, you'd have to have lost most of your senses to actually enjoy your stay there. I don't know if the place has changed since I worked there, but I highly doubt it could have changed too significantly.

The corridors were cluttered for most of the day with cleaning trolleys, vaccuum cleaners and the like, and there was always the constant smell of cleaning fluids, so over powering that in some places, you'd have to hold your breath so you didnt damage your lungs.

I found the housekeepers to be quite rude on numerous occasions, knocking on doors, but not waiting for a response before bursting into the room with no consideration for the people inside (why would you be in your room in the middle of the day when you're on holiday unless you had a good night before!) and regularly dressed untidily.

The rooms themselves were very unmodernised, with some exposed pipes in some rooms, and in others a few feeble attempts had been made to apply trlunking surrounding them. The sheets were often stained, and the towels were sometimes torn. Not the standard you'd expect from a supposedly top range hotel!

The entertainment was pretty lousy too. One or two cheesy bands a week, and the occasional bingo/quiz night or ball. The norbeck also holds a huge number of events each year. I would strongly avoid visiting at the time of the sci-fi events especially unless you're a sci-fi fan. Even I was a little unsettled seeing a group of C3P0's scurry past me on the corridor one morning! Aside from this there are plenty of toy fairs, spanish property exhibitions and computer fairs held so if you like that sort of thing, there's an excuse to visit.

There's a tramline at the front of the hotel which will take you straight to Blackpool town centre. If you travel the opposite direction, you can visit Fleetwood for the day (not much to fill a day there though mind).

The hotel restaurant had a good range of meals, and I can say for that I didnt get food poisoning the couple of times I did eat in there. I won't tell you the quality of their food though. The things that go on behind the scenes...

The facade of the hotel is looking alot better nowadays. It still looks nothing like that pretty picture on ciao.

The receptionists are maybe the only ray of sunshine to the Norbreck Castle. You usually get a cheery greeting, but it doesnt really help too much when you do see the state of your expensive room.

I must say also that now the gym has be refurbished, this is one of the enhanced features. The pool isnt very big, but it does look quite stylish and relaxing.

Prices at the norbreck castle start from £30 per night for the little single box rooms in low season (any time that isnt christmas, summer or illuminations) going up to around £170 for the suite and family rooms.

All in all, its ok if you like that sort of thing. I wasnt too struck and quit working there after 1 month. I expect it has changed since I worked there, and I am not trying to make out that this is the worst hotel to stay in in Blackpool. Believe me there's worse! I dont think its excellent value for money. Its away from the busy town centre though so if you want a relaxing holiday where you can get some sleep at night, you'll be staying in the quiet end of Blackpool. Its also quite family friendly, providing zed beds and bunk beds for the little ones. There are also cots available for the really little people and adjoined to the hotel there is a family steak-out and bar.

Hope I have been of help

Happy readings xx

• belfin published 12/11/2005
    Nothing like getting a review from an ex staff member for getting the truth about it. Belinda
  • matsu65 published 11/11/2005
    My review would have been a lot shorter...It's a dump and always has been...so well done on making it a lot more in-depth than I could manage!..Cheers, Mike
  • eldergill published 11/11/2005
    Sounds a delightful place - not.