Norbreck Castle Hotel, Blackpool

Norbreck Castle Hotel, Blackpool

Review of "Norbreck Castle Hotel, Blackpool"

published 21/12/2006 | comedypilot
Member since : 21/12/2006
Pro None
Cons try no windows or natural light in rooms for one thing!

"My partner is a hotel inspector and we walked!"

Firsty my partner who for a living visits the best 4* and 5* hotels all over the UK as either the guest of the hotel group or the local tourist board as she brings Russians to the UK to spend some of that money they make from oil. 9/10 times although invited to an area, she actually goes and makes the visit unannounced as a paying customer. Blackpool tourist board invited her to come to Blackpool as they thought her client group would want to come for the new style casinos and entertainment on offer.

Ok that's the background and I went with her as the room she booked was priced per room not per person.

She decided on this hotel as it was recommended by the tourist office as the sort of place perfect for the higher end holidaymaker. She was aware it was part of the Britania hotel group which included an awful central Manchester hotel which she has already removed from recommendations for Russian tourist due to the late night hookers knocking on doors and no windows in the rooms. However she gave this other hotel the benefit of the doubt and appraoch with a fresh outlook.

We went during the illuminations and the hotel firstly is not even near the start of the lightshow and the taxi ride alone was £10. We are looking about 2 to 3 miles from the centre. The place was large and the name of course comes from the structure which has had some concrete turrets added and battlements to make it look like a cheap theme park castle.

At reception we were ignored for 5 mins althogh we were the only ones checking in as the two staff were doing some important computer work. Our room cost £79 per night B&B and although expensive for Blackppol seemed very good value on paper for a hotel classed as better quality by the touist board. It's now however that the penny started to drop! the hotel doesn't actually have a star rating and the four star treatment we were told it had was an illusion. After walking through long corridors, up two levels in what is best described as a staff lift we arrived at our room. 12 x 8 ft plus bathroom and of course as per the hotel groups theme NO Window in the room. We immediatly went and asked for another room which we were told could not be done. My partner although wanted to stay just as a guest and undercover decided that sleeping in a cell was not going to be her thing, so told the hotel staff who she really was...

Now must places restuarants, hotels, shops who are giving a warning that someone is coming to inspect them, pull out all the stops and yes, this hotel then pulled out the stops by putting us in a sea facing room. Which again we walked in and walked out of as it was dirty. A third room was found which we accepted.

As we were there to also sample Blackpool for her clients, we went out and returned late to discover that the new room was next to the air con unit and the continous noise prevented any sleep, so a 2am meeting was called with the duty manager who on arrival at our room first of all said sorry about the mess and the drunk? Yes we were lost to the comment also until he went outside the room with me to show me the drunk in the lobby.

After he realised that was not the reason he had been called to the room, he also accepted the noise was unbearable and was ashamed about the hotel not actually having a star rating and even suggested the Hilton as a better hotel in Blackpool for the more refined clients.

As no other rooms were availible, we had no choice but to move back to the first cell, which at least was quiet. We got some sleep, althogh the bed was lumpy.

Next morning we went for breakfast, which due to the large number of people in the hotel was taken in numerous locations. I had the bar area to eat mine and following a long queue following a number of guest who couldn't wait for a fag, so had one in the queue, I sat down to eat with kids running wild around me. Breakfast OK apart from smoking allowed.

On reading this, you may dismiss this review as being to snobby, and I admit we were promised 4 star, but take away what we were expecting. Ask yourself this, with the choice of hotels at all budgets in Blackpool, how much would you pay for a 8ft windowless cell.

Next night we moved to a Motorway travel lodge for £46 a room as Blackppol was full and never before have i looked so forward to a night next to a little chef .

Loads of clean, nice hotels in the £20 to £0 per person per night in Blackpool, chose them please and stay clear of this prision.

• sharkel published 13/06/2007
    CANT BELIEVE ive just booked to stay here next weekend!!!!
  • laramax published 21/12/2006
    It is years since I stayed in the Norbreck and then it was very poor - it certainly doesn't sound like it has improved at all. Last time I was up there (which is about ten years ago) I stayed at the Pembroke which was much better and at the Village which is a little out of the way but very nice.
  • fizzytom published 21/12/2006
    Oh yes, the Britannia Manchester is notorious! It's fun though - we always used to stay there when following bands - the ones we liked always stayed there. Clearly this hotel was totally mis-sold. Fiona