Norbreck Castle Hotel, Blackpool

Norbreck Castle Hotel, Blackpool

Review of "Norbreck Castle Hotel, Blackpool"

published 29/10/2011 | sglennan
Member since : 29/10/2011
Pro No advantages at all!!!!!!!
Cons Everything about this hotel is a disadvantage.
Cleanliness
Service
Facilities

"Never Again"

I really wish I had read the reviews of this hotel before I booked and stayed here. I visited the Norbreck 33 years ago when I was a child and remember it being amazing and all the photo's on their website made me think it was still an amazing place to stay, how wrong can you be!!!!!!!

The outside of the hotel was old and in need of some extreme TLC and there was no parking spaces left so straight away disappointment was setting in. When we went into reception it looked a little better, as we stood waiting to check in there were 4 staff behind the counter 2 on the phone and the other 2 just walking around not one person acknowledged that we were there (how bad is that?). Eventually 1 of the staff got off the phone and started to check us in but left after a few seconds the next member of staff proceeded to tell me I still had £85 to pay. I explained I had paid in full on booking and gave her my paperwork and asked what heppens now, I was told unless I paid the £85 then she was not check us in (how rude). I attempted to contact my bank to confirm that I had infact paid in full and my receipt was correct when after about 15 minutes the original lady who started to check us in came back and asked if there was a problem I said yes and explained, she looked on the computer and said yes everything is fine you have paid in full and checked us in. Her explanation as to why the other lady could not do it was because her login did not give her the authority to check if we had paid in full or not (so why was she checking people in?).

We then had to walk through the dinning room area where people where queing to get there dinner and we could not get passed with our cases, then through the bar where people where having a drink and again struggled to get through with our cases, you would have thought a hotel of this size would have separate areas. As we walked through the double doors the smell was awful damp and smelly. We found the lift and had to wait what seemed like forever but at least 5 minutes, when we eventually got to the room I couldn't believe it, it was nothing like the photo's on the website, it was cold and dirty and in need of a refurnish but then we went into the bathroom OMG it was disgusting, there was no blind or curtains at the window (it was a big window) there was no heating and it was the end of Oct so it was freezing, the enamel had all come off in the bath, I really wish I had turned around in the carpark and gone straight home.

Anyway I had taken my daughter to see the Illuminations so we unpacked and went to see if we could get something to eat as I had seen a sign in the bar saying fish and chips. We were told at reception that that finished at 4.30pm and restuarant was full that evening and was sent to fish and chip shop around the corner (which was lovely).

We eventually went to bed and it was the worst nights sleep I've had, the next morning I had a shower and the bath started to fill up as I was showering when I finshed it was almost to the top of the bath. My daughter then got in the shower when the water had drained away as she was showing the pipe split and there was water everywhere, she managed to switch the shower off but the bathroom was wet through. I called reception and to be fair the maintenance man came within minutes, he knew exactly was it was though so I assume this must happen alot. As we went to breakfast I saw the maid and asked her if she could clean the bathroom as it was really wet and dirty.

Breakfast was disgusting and all the tables were full of dirty plates etc so we had to move them to another table which everyone was having to do to enable them to sit and eat their meal. There was no-one clearing tables so this just got worse as the morning went on, some tables had piles of dirty plates stacking up. It was then I realised how dirty and run down the main parts of the hotel were too.

I called at reception when we had finished our breakfast and asked if they could make sure the bathroom was cleaned because it was very dirty and also very wet, we then went out for the day. When we came back to the hotel it was late and we were extremely tired only to find that the bathroom hadn't been cleaned and the bin which was full hadn't been emptied just the towels which were on the floor in the bathroom taken away and clean ones put on the bed.

We checked out first thing and wouldn't go back to this hotel again if it was free!!!!!!!!!

• duskmaiden published 01/11/2011
    sounds terrible
  • garymarsh86 published 29/10/2011
    What an absolute disgrace. I hope you complained to them. I would report them to the local tourist board too.
  • mozzie76 published 29/10/2011
    I will make sure I avoid this hotel!