annie02 2

annie02

Member since:12.02.2004

A twintub, but ....

05.12.2004

Advantages:
You can use the wash water loads of times by sorting your washing and doing the cleanest first down to the dirtiest

Disadvantages:
Unfortunately it has design faults so it breaks down easily, or at least mine did, especially the wash part

Recommendable No:

Performance

Noise

User's ManualFair

MaintenanceVery hard

SafetySafe

How much did you pay?£444

Any repairs?yes - once during 1st year and then unsuccessfully during second year

Special features?Can easily reuse the washing water

12 Ciao members have rated this review on average: helpful See ratings
somewhat helpful by (67%):
  1. Nar
  2. Siobhany
  3. Bigbaz

I had been using Hotpoint twintubs for years and years but they stopped doing them and a Norfrost was the only one I could find in December 2002 when the last one gave up the ghost.

I bought it in December 2002 and also bought the insurance policy for it - just as well as it turned out.

The wash part broke down while it was still in its 12 months warranty period and that was fairly easily fixed.

Then it broke down again in June 2004. After that it was a catalogue of frustration. I kept ringing up to find out how long it would be and getting different answers every time.

Miller Brothers, from whom I had bought it, 'lent' me an automatic machine while the twintub was being repaired and said they'd buy it back from me at the price I'd paid for it when I got my twintub back, repaired and in full working order.

However, by September I still hadn't got it back. By then I had contacted the warranty company, the company doing the repair, the middlemen from whom they were getting the spares, and Norfrost's Scottish office.

I kept being told that the parts had been ordered but when I checked with Norfrost they hadn't! And then, when they had there was a delay in getting the parts ...

Eventually they decided that it wasn't worth repairing and Norfrost were stopping selling this model anyway ... So I've kept the 'lent' automatic machine!

Nar 06.12.2004 02:49

You paid HOW MUCH for a twin tub??! I had one in London which I adored but it wasnt mine as it came with the place i was renting. I miss my old twin tub and enough complaints to a friend made her give me her old Hotpoint 1200 washer top loader which does a similar job. Shame though that I use my parents new LG in preference! Still you did get to keep the let machine. Nar

drewboy 05.12.2004 21:29

I have never used one of these. From your ecperience, dont think I will! drew

morgjgriff 05.12.2004 20:58

I didn't realise Twin-Tubs were still made. We had several during the eighties/early nineties. I have fond memories of the scent of the washing detergent wafting through the house and the whine of the spinner when my mum used to do the wash. Ciao for now - J