Norton AntiVirus 2.0 Complete package

Norton AntiVirus 2.0 Complete package

Review of "Norton AntiVirus 2.0 Complete package"

published 11/05/2001 | ness888
Member since : 23/07/2000
Pro Confidence in the System, easy of use, free updates
Cons No free upgrades when upgrading OS
Instructions / Help
Ease of Installation
Reliability
Range of extra features / functions

"Great Software chargeable updates"

Like most people, I invested in Norton Anti-Virus software, to protect my system, especially as I was new to the Internet and emailing. I took advice, and shopped around, and finally choose Norton's Anti virus 2000.

For over a year, I was "Virus Free" due to the constant free updates, received through "Live Update". what a great concept, a product you get that keeps itself up to date, and even reminds you. All my trouble swere over, or so I thought!

Having gained that little bit more experience on my PC, I was offered teh chance to upgrade my OS to Windows ME, an offer I couldn't refuse, having read reviews about it, Great I thought I will be able to use Windows ME and enjoy the benefits it would bring.

After spending time upgrading to ME, off I went, thinking everything was great, I loved the idea of being able to resore my PC to an earlier date, sahould I have dne something stupid. I still had confidence in my NAV2000, that is until today!

Up popped my regular reminder to upodate my virus definitions, especially as there was a new virus on the loose.

Click on the button for Live update, adn what do I get, "Your Norton Utilites are all up to date!" Great I though, but then something struck me. I never got my usual screen during the update. Confused, I went to Symantecs site, to see exactly what my problem was.

There I found it, NAV2000 is not compatible with Windows ME, but I could, at a price, upgrade to the new NAV2001, at a price.

Here I am now, having to contemplate whether to pay the Symantec price or revert to Windows 98. Both choices leave me a little perturbed. If I can receive free updates for NAV2000, why can't they give me a free upgrade to patch the differences? Why do they also suggest a link that appears no-where on the site (For reference it tells you to click on the upgrade purchase button on the LH side of the page, it doesn't exist!)

Also why doesn't Windows Me , on installation alert you to the fact that certain utilities aren't compatible with their product.

Given that, I realise the need for Virus Protection, and will have to bite the bullet, and make a decision later on this week, any advice from CIAO member swould be gratefully received :)

• anjib published 20/05/2001
    We use Norton and it has saved us from quite a few viruses

Product Information : Norton AntiVirus 2.0 Complete package

Norton AntiVirus lets you quarantine infected files, easily get help with viruses directly from Symantec researchers and automatically protects you against viruses as well as malicious ActiveX and Java applets. Quarantine an infected file and it's safe to store on your computer without fear of spreading the virus. The new Scan and Deliver wizard makes it easy to send quarantined and other suspicious files to Symantec for evaluation. Bloodhound technology uses advanced heuristic logic to 'sniff-out' and eliminate new viruses even without updated virus definitions. As always, Norton AntiVirus can run constantly in the background to keep your computer safe from viruses that might come in from e-mail attachments, Internet downloads, floppy diskettes, software CDs or a network. And, it can be scheduled to automatically retrieve new anti-virus definitions from Symantec as often as once a week.

Product Description: Norton AntiVirus ( v. 2.0 ) - complete package, Norton AntiVirus ( v. 2.2 ) - complete package, Norton AntiVirus ( v. 2.0 ) - media, Norton AntiVirus ( v. 2.5 ) - complete package

Category: Security applications

Subcategory: Security - desktop antivirus

Version: 2.0, 2.2, 2.5

Licence Type: Complete package, Media

Licence Qty: 5 users, 1 user, 50 users, 1 server, 50 workstations, 25 users, 10 users

Licence Pricing: Standard

Language(s): English

Platform: Windows, NetWare, Windows, IBM OS/2, NetWare

Distribution Media: CD-ROM, Floppy 3.5" HD Disk

Package Type: Retail

OS Required: Microsoft Windows NT 3.51 or later, Microsoft DOS, Microsoft Windows 95, Novell NetWare 3.11 or later, Microsoft Windows 95, Microsoft Windows 98, Novell NetWare

General

MPN: 07-00-92018-IN, 11-00-01483-IN, 07-00-92379-UK, 07-00-91906-IN, 07-00-92021-IN, 07-00-01469-IN, 07-00-01852-IN, 11-00-01002-IN, 07-00-92020-IN, 07-00-92019-IN, 07-00-91908-IN, 07-00-91909-IN, 11-00-01448, 70H0681, 07-00-01850-EU

Category: Security applications

Platform: Windows, NetWare, Windows, IBM OS/2, NetWare

Distribution Media: CD-ROM, Floppy 3.5" HD Disk

Package Type: Retail

System Requirements

Peripheral / Interface Devices: CD-ROM, Mouse or compatible device, Mouse or compatible device, 3.5" floppy disk drive

Min Hard Drive Space: 12 MB, 5 MB, 10 MB