Location

Review of "Nou Camp - Barcelona F.C., Barcelona"

published 31/10/2010 | kazkins
Member since : 03/02/2010
I am also a Dooyoo member so some of my reviews will also appear on there under username kayers. 13 8 2011 Sorry not to have rated anyone recently - had a very busy time at work and at home, but I am back now and will try my best to catch up!
Pro Excellent tour
Cons none found
Prices
Is it worth visiting?
Transport links
Family Friendly

"Mes Que Un Club"

Camp Nou

My husband and I visited Barcelona in September and one of the things he particularly wanted to do was visit Camp Nou, home of Barcelona Football Club (official name Nou Estadi del Futbol Club Barcelona). I wasn’t so keen and hoped that we might give it a miss but the Barcelona Sight Seeing bus that we were on stopped right outside Camp Nou and nearly everyone got off to have a look so I couldn’t be that mean and not let the hubby be the only man on the bus who wasn’t allowed off! Of course, having got off the bus I really didn’t stand a chance in arguing against going inside, so I gave in gracefully! However, I have to say that I really enjoyed looking around the stadium and the museum and it was probably one of the best things we did whilst in Barcelona (shsh – don’t tell the hubby!)

**A Little History**
From about 1948 plans were started for a new stadium for FC Barcelona due to the increase in their fans. After several refurbishments of the existing stadium at Les Courts it became clear that there was not enough room for expansion to accommodate the ever increasing fans. Eventually the new site was chosen and Camp Nou was inaugurated on 24th September 1957 with a Mass held by the Archbishop of Barcelona and later a friendly football match between Warsaw and Barcelona – Barcelona won 4-2.

**Getting there**
We travelled to the Stadium via the Barcelona Sight Seeing Bus which is a hop on hop off bus taking a designated route around the city’s main attractions. However, there are “regular” buses that stop near the stadium as well as tube stations nearby, so there is no problem in getting transport to Camp Nou.

**The Camp Nou Experience**
We started our visit in the President Nuñez Museum, the first part of which houses computerised murals giving a chronological history of the Club. I was very impressed with the technology which had touch screens enabling people to look at parts that interested them in more detail. In between these screens are exhibits of football boots, balls and other kit from the past. There is also the Barca Wall of History which stretches out along a large room and is made up of more interactive screens showing the history of the Club and also all the players that have played for FC Barcelona – Gary Lineker’s name being among them. A very popular display is the one housing all the trophies FC Barcelona has ever won, lots of people were taking photos of themselves in front of these cups. There is loads more information about the players, directors, coaches, chairpersons, newpaper cuttings etc.

From there we made our way to the Stadium itself and it is just amazing to see the size – capacity 98,800 people. We obviously were not allowed on the pitch but could go into part of the stand on one side and look out over the whole stadium, both at ground level and further up in the higher seats. While we were there they had large light machines on part of the pitch to encourage the grass to grow, I hadn’t seen anything like that before so it added to the experience. The stadium has very high sides with seats right at the top which would have been no good to anyone suffering from vertigo!

Having taken in the size of the pitch and seating we then walked along until we were by the shelters where the coaches and reserves sit during a match. From there the tour route took us back inside and up to the Press and commentators seats which are housed in a very large glass box protruding over the stands with an uninhibited view of the pitch. There was piped commentary and crowd noise coming from large speakers which helped to make it an authentic experience of what it would be like sitting there during a match. When I see commentators on TV talking at half time and at the end of a big match I forget that there are loads of other commentators and press personnel from other countries all doing the same thing.

From there we continued our tour to the changing rooms which were very smart with showers and a big Jacuzzi bath for the team to relax in after the match. We walked from there past the little chapel, where I imagine many a prayer has been said before and after a match, up through the tunnel which players go to reach the pitch. Again piped cheering and general crowd noise is played to help to make you feel that there is a game about to be played.

Finally it was back inside to the area where players and managers are interviewed after the match – another good photo opportunity.

We could have paid extra for earphones and our own personal running commentary about the stadium which would probably have given us more information but we didn’t think it would be necessary at the time, however, if I ever went back I think I would probably pay the extra for this.

**Opening Times**
Monday to Saturday (from 6th April to 4th October) from 10.00 to 20.00
The rest of the year the museum opening hours are from 10.00 to 18.30
Sundays and public holidays from 10.00 to 14.30
On days of League and Champions matches in the stadium open from 10 to 15.00 – Camp Nou Tour not available

**Cost**

Adult 19 Euros
Children 0-5 years Free
Children 6 – 13 years 15,50 Euros
Supporters clubs, pensioners and
Students £15,50 Euros
Members Free
There are concessions for large groups

More information can be found on the website www.fcbarcelona.com

**The shop**
As with most tours of this type the end of the tour takes you to the shop. In this case it was quite a serious shop in that it mainly stocked team shirts, sweatshirts, boots and trainers as oppose to junky memorabilia.

**How long to allow for the visit**
When we bought the tickets it advised to allow 1.5 to 2 hours for the tour. Of course it depends on how long you spend in each section. We spent quite a long time in the museum looking at the interactive boards which had a wealth of information and were there a little over 2 hours.

**Would I recommend it**
Absolutely! Even if you are not a great fan of football it is an interesting experience. There is so much information about the history of the stadium and the club and with the interactive boards with their touch screen; you can pick the information you are interested in without having to read through lots of other stuff. The sheer size of the stadium is amazing to see and even someone who isn’t interested in football at all would be hard pressed not to be impressed. The tour has been well thought out and being able to go into places like the players tunnel, the press and commentators box made it quite a special experience. I am not a great fan of football although I have been to some premier league matches at stadiums such as Newcastle United and as I said earlier, I really wasn’t that bothered about visiting Camp Nou – but I have to say I loved it and was so pleased that I had done it.

FC Barcelona’s motto is “Mes que un Club” – “more than a club” – I certainly got the impression that this was the case and that the Club holds a very special place in the hearts of the Catalonian people.

• greenierexyboy published 02/12/2010
    Never mind our forgetting that Mr Lineker had played for them, I bet your average Catalan can't remember it either.
  • AnneLorraine1 published 22/11/2010
    Excellent review
  • kevin121 published 07/11/2010
    I'd forgotten Mr Walkers Crisps had played for them.